River's Birth Saga (book, epic, novel, etc.) AKA LONG

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes
  • 11 Post By kemper2.0
  • 1 Post By ladybugmomma

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To OUT WITH THEIR HEADS ( and bodies ) LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 28th, 2014, 12:03 PM
kemper2.0's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Evangeline "River" H.
8:34 pm. March 27, 2014
6lbs 4oz
19"

I found out I was pregnant at around 8 weeks. It was a huge shock! The first 25 or so weeks of my pregnacy were spent puking up most of what I ate and feeling pretty awful. I went into pre-term labor at around 32 weeks and was put on bedrest. That worked out pretty well actually as my husband was deployed with his submarine at the time and was (thankfully) able to come home to be with me throughout the remainder of my pregnancy. If I hadn't have went into preterm labor he would have missed the birth of our daughter. God has a funny way of making things work out!
The next 6 weeks of my pregnancy were extremely uneventful. I spent my days on the couch or in the bed being catered to by both my husband and my mom. A very nice experience! At 36 weeks I was let off of bed rest .

After finding out some news (which I unfortunately can not discuss here) we set my inductino date for Monday, March 31. As happy as I was to have an end in sight- I REALLY needed her to be born before Sunday, March 30. I tried to get that point across to my midwife as clearly as possible. She agreed, but legally could not induce me before the 31st. So, we set about going into labor on my own! At my 38 week check-up on Wednesday, March 26 I was 2cm dilated and 50% effaced. It was my first time being checked so I wasn't sure if it was actual progress or if my cervix was permanately sort of "open" from having pushed out a couple already My membranes were stripped and I was told to "go walking, DTD, and bounce on the yoga ball". I did all 3 in addition to lots of prayer, a little bit of castor oil, a ton of pineapple, and a fair share of tears (mostly a result of the castor oil )

I began to have slight contractions the evening my membranes were stripped. I had them throughout the evening and early into the next morning. I bounced and bounced and bounced on my ball, determined to get her out of me! I was having pretty strong and consistent contractions and was almost convinced I'd have a baby within the next 24-36 hours. I decided to take a shower so that if I were indeed in labor I would be decent enough to have pictures taken of me during labor. I wasn't going to have a 'frizzy hair, no make-up, and chipped finger nail polish' labor and delivery experience like I did with my first daughter. I was determined to look somewhat put together. After my shower I decided to lie down and have a rest before going up to the hospital. At this point my contractions were coming every 3-4 minutes and lasting 40-50 seconds. A great pattern, I thought!
I ended up falling asleep for 2 hours and when I awoke- nothing! Not a single contraction was to be felt. I had already told DH that I thought today might be the day and to feel free to take off of work, if he'd like. I was pretty disappointed, but it was whatevs. I took another dose of castor oil that morning (1 TBS was all I could muster myself to drink. Blech!!). I took a walk around our neighborhood with my mom, mother in law, and daughter. Came back home and bounced some more on my Satan ball (I was beginning to hate the thing). We had lunch (of course I ordered the spiciest thing I could find) and my contractions came back! I was determined to make it to the hospital before they petered out again. I wasn't planning on staying, I really just wanted to get checked to see if my contractions were actually doing something to my cervix or if it was the devil juice (read: castor oil) playing horrid tricks on me. DH and I went up to the hospital (sans hospital bags, which should have been our first clue we were staying). I was checked into L & D relatively quickly as I was the only laboring mother on the whole floor. My contractions were still consistently 3-4 minutes apart and of good length. They weren't painful in the slightest and I'm sure I looked quite silly grinning at the nurses and telling them that I was in labor. I swear I overheard one nurse think to herself, "Dumb first time mom and her Braxton Hicks". After I explained to them that this was my 3rd child and that I labor quickly they took me a little more serious and set me up in a room to be checked.

I wasn't expecting to be too far along, but I did hope for progress so I would know all of my labor inducing techniques were not in vain. Sure enough, I was a 3-4 and 75% effaced! Woohoo! It was around 3:30 in the afternoon at this time. I called my mom to tell her we were staying and asked her to bring the hospital bags. Being GBS+ I got hooked up and fluids flowing immediately. I was told my midwife would be over to break my waters after she got off of work at the clinic- around 4. My contractions were picking up at this point and I asked for a shot of Stadol. The nurse asked if I wanted to go ahead and get my epi. Who am I to turn down an epi?? So even though I was only 4cm dilated and my pain barely reached a 2/3 I agreed. I didn't want the epidural gods mad at me, after all. My midwife got there before the anesthesiologist did and she broke my waters for me. No meconium, yay! My waters were broken at about 4:45, the epi was in at 5 and the fun was about to start!!
In all of my labors I have brought a pack of playing cards because I had always envisioned myself happily laboring whilst playing games with my family. However, something had always come up and I never had the opportunity to do it. This time I forced all of my visitors (both sets of grandparents, DH) to join in a game of Phase 10. Success finally!!
I labored for a bit and then DH and his parents took our other kids to eat. This was at about 7:00. I got checked at 7:15 and was declared "a five, maybe a stretchy 6". I was disheartened, but not altogether surprised because I hadn't felt a single contraction and wasn't laboring supposed to be hard?? She was still pretty far up there and determined to be "cattywompas" by my MW. They wanted me to lie on my side to try and get her to straighten up and descend. After being on my left side for about 15 minutes I began to feel pressure so I turned to my right side. 15 minutes on that side and pressure again. I sat up at this point and had my mom call DH to tell him to bring me my make-up bag so I could "do my face". What I didn't tell him was that I knew I was extremely close to pushing and he'd better finish grubbing on his Mexican food and come watch his child be born!! I paged my MW in and told her I felt complete. Sure enough, I was complete! That was at around 8:10. DH got there just in time for her to declare me complete. I made the men and children vacate the room and we got down to business. I still wasn't in any pain, but was feeling a fair amount of pressure during contractions. I was given the go ahead to push whenever I was ready.

I stalled for a little while- making jokes and cutting up with the nurses, MW, and resident because all of the sudden I was terrified at the thought of pushing. I didn't want to. I was convinced that I would be pushing for hours because up until that moment the labor and delivery process had been so incredibly easy and fun that surely it was time for something bad to happen. My MW talked me into pushing and 2 pushes later she said, "There is her head! Do you want to feel her head?". "Not particularly", I replied. "Are you sure?", she asked. I thought that since this was my last time and I had never felt a head in my uterus before I might as well give it a try! So I reached down and felt. "Umm.. is this it?", I asked- knowing full well it wasn't because I know what a vagina feels like and that most certainly was a vagina. She positioned my fingers over a few inches and said, "No, this is it!". I felt and then said calmly, "Hmm. It's quite squishy and I don't much care for it". Everyone laughed, I gave another push, and out came River!! She was so tiny. Much smaller than my first two. I pulled her out and laid her on my chest. It was love at first sight!! She didn't cry and was very much awake. I was allowed to cuddle her for some time with the cord still attached- until they had to take her away and suction her because she wouldn't cry.

My active labor lasted from a little after 4:00 to 8:34 when she made her appearance! I went from a 5/stretchy 6 to complete in less than an hour. Record time for me, for sure! My pain level never got above a 3/4. I couldn't have asked for a better delivery. It was perfect in every way and I feel so blessed that she came when she did!

Kat, mommy to Gideon (9-8-10) and Arie (7-6-12), and Evangeline River (3-27-14)

Last edited by kemper2.0; March 28th, 2014 at 12:11 PM.
March 28th, 2014, 05:35 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Such an easy labor -- I'm jealous! Congrats!!!!!
March 28th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Veteran
Sounds like a very cool labor experience! I am glad you got to deliver before the date you wanted her due by.
March 28th, 2014, 06:33 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
I am glad it went so well for you and River.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

March 28th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What a great labor and delivery! Congrats!

DD #1 born April 5, 2013; 9 lbs 11 oz
Baby # 2 due late July 2015.... Shhhhhh! Facebook doesn't know yet!
March 28th, 2014, 07:14 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
You made me laugh so many times in this birth story! So glad you had an easy experience. Thanks for getting your story up so fast! Can't wait for pictures.

Desi

Proud mommy to Helenna Brook (1/26/10) & Eris Genevieve (4/20/14)
& the lucky S.O. to Matthew, a model daddy
March 28th, 2014, 07:25 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
You're such a fantastic storyteller! Glad you had such an amazing delivery!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
March 28th, 2014, 08:27 PM
NehaT's Avatar Super Mommy
Nice story!! Congratulations!!!

March 28th, 2014, 08:51 PM
SarahSmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay for an easy labor and delivery! Congrats <3

March 28th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Super Mommy
Glad it went so smooth. congrats!
March 29th, 2014, 10:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Great birth story. So glad River arrived safe and sound.
March 29th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aw I'm so glad it went smoothly and that it worked out that DH was able to be there. Congrats!

March 29th, 2014, 06:21 PM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
So incredible! I'm so jealous, of your easy labour and that you're done!
kemper2.0 likes this.
March 31st, 2014, 07:45 AM
MrsPalumbo's Avatar Super Mommy
You make it sound so easy! Congrats Mama!! She's beautiful

Tammy, wife to Julia, Mom to Jordynn and Maxwell
March 31st, 2014, 08:40 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Beautiful labor! Congrats!!

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
March 31st, 2014, 08:12 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe reading this will give my baby some hints congrats! Great birth story, gives me hope!

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
April 4th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
You already know how excited I am about the arrival of your sweet girl I'm so happy you had such an amazing birth experience! It sounds like a picture perfect birth & she is an absolute DOLL! I hope you guys are all getting adjusted well to the life of 3 littles (I'm so scared about that for me, haha) & everything is going great! River is absolutely gorgeous & perfect in every way!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search