Levi's Grand Entrance - LONG - *pictures added*

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree44Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To OUT WITH THEIR HEADS ( and bodies ) LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2014, 06:47 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
Coles notes:
11:00pm – water breaks
11:45ish – police and paramedics arrive
12:48am – arrive at hospital
12:50am – Levi John is born
3:45am – back home with our new little man

...And the full story:

On Saturday March 29, a few times I had thoughts “This could be my last _____ before having the baby”.

I had been having some contractions on and off, mixed with some Braxton Hicks, throughout the early evening. Having a bath made them back off. Then laying on my side as well. Shortly before 11pm, DH came to bed. He had been in bed for not 5 minutes, and we both heard a “pop”, and I felt my stomach move…it was almost like an elastic letting go, definitely felt nothing like a kick. And felt a small trickle. I went to the toilet, and had some more trickling, and some bloody show.

I texted my mom, she was visiting my grandma 3 hours away because my aunt from Boston was up for a visit on Saturday and I wasn’t sure if she was coming home Saturday or Sunday. My parents were to watch DS1 while we went to the hospital. My parents immediately hopped in the car to head home, even though I told them it was ok, we’d find a backup. Unfortunately as it was a Saturday night, my sister and brother were both drinking, and then we were able to get a hold of DH’s aunt thank goodness.

In between sorting out that, I called my midwife to let her know my water broke. No contractions right away but it had only been about 10 minutes. So she said to take 2 Tylenol and 2 Gravol and try and get some sleep before things ramped up, but to call her if things started more. I didn’t even get out the bedroom door after talking to her to get the meds and the contractions started. Intense. About 4 minutes apart. But only ranging from 40-55 seconds. After another 15 minutes or so, I decided to call her back, and tell her things were really starting. So she said she was on her way.

In between all these contractions, my bowels started emptying themselves so I was kinda stuck on the toilet. And suddenly, I felt something drop and hang out. No idea what it was. I started freaking out and calling for DH (who was packing his bag, getting dressed etc.). He got on his hands and knees to look, and he said “It’s ok, I’m going to call 911. I don’t know what it is, but it is not the baby”.

So called my midwife again, to tell her the latest development, and she said that she’d meet us at the hospital instead.

DH was stuck on the phone with 911 dispatch while we waited. Intense contractions, coming quick, lasting longer. I was still stuck on the toilet and it was awful. The dispatch told DH to move me to lay on my back on the floor (seriously, the last thing I wanted to do). So I did. Police got there quick, and of course, it turns out to be someone DH knows. Of all the people! Lol, I was definitely not at my best.

Paramedics were shortly behind them. So now I have a policeman and I think 4 paramedics in my bedroom….and I am naked from the bottom down laying on my back with my knees up and legs spread. And suddenly…I feel the urge to push. OMG. Someone told me that when going naturally and getting the urge to push, you just can’t stop your body. Totally agree with that. I yelled that I feel the need to push. So they started setting stuff up. And THANK GOODNESS, in walks my midwife. Last I heard she was going to meet us at the hospital but somewhere in all this, DH called her again.

So she checks me, and confirms that I’m fully dialated and ready to push. So they start talking me through the pushing. At some point, DS1 wandered out of his bedroom (how did he sleep till this point???? Turns out this is barely an hour after my water broke….), and DH went and grabbed him and dropped him with his aunt downstairs. Also, earlier in the evening, I did a towel load of laundry. So the ONLY towels in my linen cupboard were my gorgeous cream pair given to us at our wedding that I have NEVER used. Yep, that’s what they ended up grabbing to put under me. I never found out till after. Completely ruined.

As a VBAC candidate, my hospital has 2 conditions – an IV lock, and continuous fetal monitoring. My midwife was continuously monitoring his heartrate, and it was dropping into the 90s. While not a huge issue, it was clear that labour was causing him some distress. So we tried propping me up on different sides, but it didn’t make a difference. The paramedics didn’t have a pediatric oxygen mask (as a just in case for when he arrived) so my midwife made the call that we needed to head to the hospital. I was already on oxygen to try and help his heartrate, and they placed the IV lock before leaving my bedroom. Normally my midwife would have a 2nd midwife with her to take notes etc. but she wasn’t there yet so the one police officer became her note taker.

They got me on a tarp thing to take me to the stretcher in between contractions. As soon as I was propped up more in the stretcher and not flat on the ground, his heartrate improved up to the 130s which is a much better number. Turns out there were 2 ambulances and 2 police cars out front with lights going etc. So of course neighbours were peering out. A bunch came up to DH the next day to make sure everything was ok, since everyone knew I was pregnant.

Off we went. I still pushed with each contraction while in the ambulance because I just couldn’t not. I had to work with my body. DH was apparently behind my ambulance, and then the other one went behind him (lol I think to make sure he wasn’t stupid in getting there). At one point they started to pull over because Levi descended and was really close, and we almost had him on the side of the road! But then we were able to keep going.

Thank goodness the hospital is 10-15 minutes away at any given time, and even shorter at 12:30am on a Saturday night. We came in through emerg. I know we arrived at 12:36 because of the police officer’s notes and they took my blood pressure before starting the dash through the hospital to L&D.

They’re rushing me through the hospital and I am trying so hard not to push, but still end up yelling and screaming lol.

We get to L&D and the nurses tell us we need to go to triage. My midwife said that she had called ahead and that I was fully dialated and already pushing. The nurses wouldn’t budge. So they wheel me to triage. The nurse in there looks at us like we’re crazy and assigns us room 18 without even looking at me. Not significant but a silly thing that just added to the craziness of the night!

Moments later, DH is there with our bags. I saw him and was like “Oh thank goodness you’re here lovie!” He came and grabbed my hand.

And then I had a good contraction and had a good few pushes through the ring of fire and his head was out. One additional push and out came his body. My midwife laid him on my chest, and we did delayed cord clamping and bonding. After he was there for a couple minutes, I realized we had NO idea if he was a boy or girl!!!! So they confirmed he was a boy!!! DH cut the cord once it was time. And I had no issues delivering the placenta.

So what ended up dropping out of me that precipitated the call to 911? Well, I guess our bag of water basically has 2 layers. The first layer was what had come out and was hanging into my toilet. His head then acted almost like a cork and the rest of my water came out mostly at the hospital after his head was delivered. Unusual, but not an emergency typically…it just really happened to ramp up my labour and freak me out since it hung half in and out and I didn’t know what it was. But I think things could have been a LOT worse if we had to get to the hospital on our own so it worked in our favour.

Because of the speed, I ended up with a 2nd degree tear. My midwife repaired it while we did skin to skin. The 2nd midwife arrived just in time for the placenta to be delivered. So then the couple nurses left (typically at our hospital, if using a midwife, you are not assigned any nurses). Which was good, the one was driving me NUTS. Again, protocol for a vbac is continuous monitoring, so the 2 minutes between admittance and delivery she was freaking out about getting the monitor on me. Not so much a fan, not helpful at all.

So after close to an hour of skin to skin, he was taken, weighed (8lbs 12oz, 22 inches long!), and a diaper put on. Kenny did some skin to skin while I had half a sandwich. Then we turned the lights down and rested for an hour, and some more skin to skin.

He was doing fantastic. My bleeding was well within normal. I was able to pee (condition of being discharged), so we chose to go home.

I go to get up and realize…I have no shoes or jacket! I came in on a stretcher in a tshirt covered in the paramedics’ blankets. Luckily my midwife kept an extra pair of shoes at the hospital that fit me. And DH had a hoodie. So they wheeled me down while I held Levi in his carseat while DH grabbed the truck.

We drove my midwife back to our house since that’s where her car was as she came in the ambulance with me. And we went to sleep at home with our new baby boy less than 5 hours after labour began.

Pictures to come...I am and can't reach the cord for the camera

I commend you if you made it this far.

Edited to add: PICS!!!!!

Tersh, Glitz, *Kiliki* and 11 others like this.

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014

Last edited by Jessimaaka; April 5th, 2014 at 07:24 PM.
April 2nd, 2014, 07:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Love it! Wow, what a crazy experience that must have been. Sorry about the PITA nurse -- if my secondary midwife can't make it ill also have a nurse in the room and apparently they are all hospital policy, all the time!Great story and thanks for sharing!
Jessimaaka likes this.
April 2nd, 2014, 07:40 PM
katiep726's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow that is crazy!!! I hope this labor is faster and easier than my last but not that fast thank goodness you all called 911, that would have been scary! What a story you'll have for the rest of his life congrats on another healthy baby boy!!
Jessimaaka likes this.

Thank you Vicki... For the adorable siggy!
April 2nd, 2014, 07:43 PM
Veteran
Wow, what an amazing story. I feel tired just reading it! Love the name Levi and can't wait ti see pics.
Jessimaaka and MrsPalumbo like this.
April 2nd, 2014, 10:41 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
Like a movie! What an intense experience! Loved this story (and no need to commend for making it to the end...couldn't stop reading if I tried!). Congrats again to your family on its newest addition. Levi sure made an entrance!
Jessimaaka and MrsPalumbo like this.

Desi

Proud mommy to Helenna Brook (1/26/10) & Eris Genevieve (4/20/14)
& the lucky S.O. to Matthew, a model daddy
April 3rd, 2014, 12:29 AM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
Incredible!! Congratulations, mama! I always worry about labor happening this quickly!
Jessimaaka likes this.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
April 3rd, 2014, 04:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What a fantastic arrival. Glad you are both doing well.
Jessimaaka likes this.
April 3rd, 2014, 05:54 AM
MrsPalumbo's Avatar Super Mommy
Well Levi sure likes to make a statement already! Congrats on a speedy delivery and baby boy!!
Jessimaaka likes this.

Tammy, wife to Julia, Mom to Jordynn and Maxwell
April 3rd, 2014, 07:55 AM
Tamara22's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow what an awesome story!!!! I was on my toes the whole time reading!! So glad you made it to the hospital, and that Levi is healthy...and CONGRATS on your VBAC!!! I'm so happy for you and your family!
Jessimaaka likes this.
April 3rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
SarahSmile's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy moly!was on the edge of my seat for the whole story!!

Congrats on your baby boy!!
Jessimaaka likes this.

April 3rd, 2014, 06:08 PM
Thanks for all your comments It took me longer to write everything out than how long it actually took! LOL And we just left our camera in the car and I'm far too lazy to go get it. Pictures are coming soon, I promise. I just wish I had good ones on my phone.

Jess
April 4th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Holy cow, what a entrance! That is quite the birth story you got there little Levi I'm so happy everything ended up going perfectly! What a crazy experience though! Isn't it amazing how your body takes over & you can't help but push? I'm sorry about the rude/annoying nurse. It always annoys me when people are like that, especially in a situation where she should have been able to see at first glance that triage was not needed. Congratulations on your med free VBAC! Super woman status!!
Jessimaaka likes this.

April 4th, 2014, 09:13 AM
melissalaw's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow Jess what a ride. So glad you made it to the hospital and glad that both Levi and mom are doing good. I know what you mean about the urge to push. My nurses told me the same thing and I yelled at them that they must be crazy!
Jessimaaka likes this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy
April 4th, 2014, 05:15 PM
geogeek's Avatar Marsi's Mommy
Wow! That is amazing! Congrats!
Jessimaaka likes this.

Thank you *kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

April 4th, 2014, 08:55 PM
Super Mommy
Awesome story! Congrats!
Jessimaaka likes this.
April 5th, 2014, 09:29 AM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome Levi! Congrats, can't wait to 'meet' him.
Jessimaaka likes this.

April 5th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh good gracious, he's just scrumptious! Love all the pics but especially the one of you holding him brand new & the one of you with both Cameron & Levi! So sweet!!
Jessimaaka likes this.

April 5th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Pictures added!

Jess
April 5th, 2014, 07:44 PM
krissy1989's Avatar is loving her two boys!
LOVE the pics!! And omgoodness, I cracked up at that adorable picture with both your boys!!
Jessimaaka likes this.

LoveLove
Love
LUV LOVE YOU!!
April 5th, 2014, 07:47 PM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
Love the pictures! The one of the three of you is my favorite also. I can tell you have a good bond with your babies.
Jessimaaka likes this.

Desi

Proud mommy to Helenna Brook (1/26/10) & Eris Genevieve (4/20/14)
& the lucky S.O. to Matthew, a model daddy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search