Unplanned, unassisted birth of Exton in the parking lot.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By RandE
  • 1 Post By RandE

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To OUT WITH THEIR HEADS ( and bodies ) LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2014, 09:04 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Exton
April 19, 2014 8:02 pm
9 lbs 5 oz
21.2 inches
38 cm head circumference

I woke up the morning of the 19th feeling a little crampy and off. No contractions but just a little 'tender' I guess. I was annoyed that my contractions from the night before died out so I ignored it. Spent my morning with DS1 like we usually do and then layed down for a nap with him around noon. Contractions must have started again while I was napping because I remember have dreams about them. Woke up thinking it was just wishful thinking because I didn't feel any different. After about 10-15 minutes I started feeling them again. This was around 2:30. My family was waiting for me and DS1 for Easter lunch at our cabin which was 20 minutes away. I walked around thinking about whether or not I should go, seeing as how the contractions died out the night before. I figured I was in for a few days of that at least. At the last minute I decided to go. I packed DS1's overnight bag just in case I had to leave and headed out the door. I had a couple stronger contractions while driving there but as the usually got worse when I sat figure that was the case and didn't think too much of them. I Made it to the cabin and enjoyed talking to family and taking pictures with our new little point and shoot camera. Soon (like within the hour) the contractions started getting worse to the point where I was having difficulty getting comfortable. I decided it was time to leave- kissed DS1 goodbye and headed out the door. I called DH to tell him what was going on since he was on his way into work. His work would write him up if he skipped and it was a false alarm so we agreed that he would go in and I would let him know when I knew it was the real thing. This was around 5:30. Around 5:45 I got home and got into the tub to try to relax and control the pain, and to see if the contractions would go away. As I was sitting there I had the urge to use the bathroom where my body started cleaning itself out. Just a little at first so I thought maybe it was a fluke from the pain and got back into the tub. The contractions started hurting enough that I needed to vocalize through them so I got out of the tub and went the bathroom again. More cleaning out and accompanied by bloody show and mucus plug. DH texted me to see how I was doing and I told him he needed to come home. This was around 6:30. He got home around 6:45 and started puttering around the house getting the rest of our hospital stuff together and out to the car. We weren't in a hurry because we thought it was still early labor even though I needed to stop and lean on something and vocalize through my contractions because it hadn't been going on too long. About 4 hours at this point. Finally we were ready to get in the car at about 7:15ish. I got in and quickly found out I could not sit through the contractions and instead leaned the seat back and kneeled facing the back. Bellowing and moaning through each contractions DH sped to the hospital which was a good 45 minutes away. On the way there the contractions are getting closer and closer together. DH was timing them I guess 6 minutes..... 5 minutes..... 3 minutes..... I was getting louder and louder. By the time we got to the hospital I was nearly screaming with each contraction. I was also getting an uncontrollable urge to bear down. DH flew into the parking lot (we made it in about 30 minutes) and ran to grab a wheelchair for me. He found out the doors to the birthing center are locked so he gets back into the car and drove to find another door. No luck. He pulled back up to the wheelchair and saw a phone where he called to tell the staff that we were there and I was in labor. Not sure how they were going to let us in at that point but while he was gone I had the worst contraction yet that caused me to bear down and scream bloody murder (apparently I'm a loud laborer lol). He got back into the car and pulled into the temporary labor patient parking space and brought me the chair. While he was gone I stuck my finger up there to see if I was just imagining the urge to push or if it was the real deal. I felt his head (yay he has hair!) DH wrenched open the car door and told me to get into the chair. I said I couldn't. I couldn't move, walk, stand, sit, kneel. I was stuck right there and the baby was coming right now. He said no it isn't and tried to pull me from the car. I said yes it is and I CANNOT MOVE. He managed to get me standing in the parking lot leaning into the car. He's coming NOW. I told him. He felt under me and tried to get me in the chair again. Again I said no, I could not move. I felt a pop and a gush of fluid- my waters broke. I gave a push and felt his head slide down. The head is out I said. DH felt under me again and ran back to the emergency phone. He came back 10 seconds later. I still had my pants on. He pulled them down and I said his shoulders are coming, you need to catch him. Don't let him hit the pavement. His shoulders slipped out with another push and DH caught him inside my pants where he started to cry immediately. Thank goodness. DH handed him up to me between my legs and I told him to grab blankets or towels or clothes- he needs to stay warm. It took about a minute and a half to "push" him out. I put it in quotes because it was not a process I could control at that point. Completely instinctual and biological. My body took over. He was born at 8:02 pm.

The nurses came barreling out at this point. Like 6 ob nurses and a couple NICU nurses. They laid me back on the passenger side car seat to check my bleeding and whatnot. I kept asking if the baby was ok. He was on my chest but not crying anymore. The lovely nurse that was behind me supporting my torso kept rubbing my shoulders and saying that he is fine and perfect. His heart rate was good and he was breathing great. She kept telling me how amazing I did and comforting me. She was awesome. DH cut the cord while I was laying on the seat. My placenta wouldn't deliver in the car so they got me on a stretcher and wheeled me into a room. The ob on call suited up and delivered the placenta and stitched me up- just a small tear where my old scar was. Everything with E was delayed which is what I wanted in a round about way. They didn't get around to weighing him for close to 3 hours. 9 lbs 5 oz. 21 inches long. Holy crap. Lol

Anyway he is perfect with no ill side effects of being born outside in 45 degree weather. I got my natural labor and birth and I'm so happy I did. DH is just in awe of what he and I did. Thinks it was so special to have that experience just he and I unassisted. It really was amazing. Even though it wasn't planned and was very stressful I'm so happy with how it turned out. An incredible and unforgettable experience for both of us.

I traumatized a 6 year old girl that watched me deliver in the parking lot. Her mom says "she's having a BABY!" and they both watched me like I was a heifer calving in the pasture. Lmao but it's all good. I lost all shame when his head popped out from between my legs.

Pictures in the private group.

April 25th, 2014, 09:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Brilliant story! Wow! Thanks so much for sharing!

DD #1 born April 5, 2013; 9 lbs 11 oz
Baby # 2 due late July 2015.... Shhhhhh! Facebook doesn't know yet!
April 25th, 2014, 09:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Great story!
April 25th, 2014, 10:00 PM
NehaT's Avatar Super Mommy
Wow... My god! Thats really crazy..Congratulations once again!!!

April 25th, 2014, 10:56 PM
ladybugmomma's Avatar Trisha
Holy man! I'm in tears! How incredible!!!
April 26th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Super Mommy
Wow! Awesome story! Glad you are both doing well!
April 26th, 2014, 07:53 AM
LittleVera's Avatar Veteran
Incredible story! You're amazing, mama! & Love your boys' names.

Desi

Proud mommy to Helenna Brook (1/26/10) & Eris Genevieve (4/20/14)
& the lucky S.O. to Matthew, a model daddy
April 26th, 2014, 02:22 PM
Oh my! Congratulations!!!! This is such an amazing story.
April 26th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Veteran
Woo! That's crazy. I'm so proud of you!
April 26th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Leah1216's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow you are amazing! Congrats!
April 26th, 2014, 08:14 PM
Tersh's Avatar DD nurses her baby too!
Amazing story, congrats!!!

Thank you to *~Joni~* for my beautiful siggy!!

April 26th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Jessimaaka's Avatar Pink in a house of Blue
How amazing! Congratulations again!!!! That uncontrollable urge to push is so intense!

Jess
DS1: Cameron 8/12/2012
DS2: Levi 3/30/2014
April 27th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Boos Moo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is awesome. Congrats to you on your little one, and to you and DH for getting through that amazingly.

April 28th, 2014, 04:27 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a great story! I'm glad you got the natural birth you wanted, even if it was a little crazier than you had planned! I was already in the hospital but I had the same experience at the end with the screaming, the water breaking, and pushing. It just sort of happened and it happened fast! I felt like an animal! And I totally lost all shame too as I was totally naked at the end after the shower and there were all kinds of people in my room watching. At some point it makes no difference who sees it as long as that baby comes out.

I told DH your story could have been ours if we hadn't had a doctor's appointment that morning. I'm not sure I would have known when to go to the hospital and my labor was a bit shorter than I had anticipated.

Congratulations, Allie!!

April 28th, 2014, 05:55 PM
MrsPalumbo's Avatar Super Mommy
So amazing! I'm so glad you and DH look back on the experience with fondness, so many others would have just been all out traumatized. You're both so strong and admirable, congratulations on your new little love

Tammy, wife to Julia, Mom to Jordynn and Maxwell
April 28th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Veteran
That's amazing. My husband hates anything blood, gore or seeing someone in pain so I am pretty sure he would have been traumatized for life having to deliver a baby. I bet you're going to have fun telling your little one that when the day comes.
April 29th, 2014, 04:16 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies. It was pretty amazing and intense. I had done a ton of research on natural childbirth before so I knew exactly what was going on and it helped me to understand and not be afraid. After me poor experience with ds1's birth this was very healing for me.

Dh is a first responder so he is amazing in tense situations with blood and whatnot. He just followed my lead on what to do since his training hadn't covered birth. Lol
MKnaomi likes this.

May 2nd, 2014, 07:41 AM
Super Mommy
That is a truly beautiful story! Totally tearing up. I think I can understand how you can look back on it with so much joy, even though it would have been so intense and stressful in that moment. And yay! No induction! It's hilarious about the little girl, like WHY would you stop and watch? Would you let your kid watch a natural birth video? I guess it's the urge that people have to slow down and stare at traffic accidents haha.
May 3rd, 2014, 04:58 PM
Justiah's Avatar Super Mommy
WOW that's an amazing story Congrats! Thank for sharing

May 4th, 2014, 06:52 AM
ChiChica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tears! Oh my goodness, congratulations on your natural childbirth and your beautiful little boy!

Expecting baby #1 through IUI with Follistim

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search