We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I begrudgingly agreed to start maternity leave on April 28 after going a week past my due date and after running out of work to do. I proceeded to start Operation Get This Baby Out.
On the night of April 27 going into the morning of April 28, I started feeling some contractions that weren't really painful. I walked around until 3 AM hoping that something would start but ultimately went to bed. I woke up just before 6 AM with excruciating back pain. I got up, walked around, and went back to bed. Woke up two more times with the same results. After the third time, I decided just to stay up. My back pain kept coming in waves. I tried calling my doctor but realized that she was out of state. I called L&D, and they said it sounded like back labor (nooooooo). I had appointments for an ultrasound and for a NST for that afternoon. They told me to keep the appointments unless the pain became unbearable. DH decided to stay home from work.
My back pain got worse and worse over the afternoon. I did some laundry, added some additional items to my hospital bag, and went to the appointments. They didn't say much at the ultrasound other than my fluid levels were fine. I went to see the substitute doctor for the NST - I never met her because they wheeled me toL&D after the NST.
The contractions in my back intensified over the hours. I never felt any pain my abdomen. At 8 PM, I was 3 cm dilated. My plan was to go unmedicated. After 20 hours, the pain became unbearable and I asked for the epi. I was so weak and could barely stand - I couldn't lay down due to the back labor. They checked me afterwards and I was 10 cm dilated. They said they could feel the bag. I took a much needed nap. My epi was directed slightly to the right because I lost all feeling in the right side and could still feel pain in the left side if I laid on my right side. They had me mainly lie on the left. At some point during my nap, my water broke. I had no clue because I couldn't feel anything. They had me labor down for a couple of hours.
The doctor told me he wasn't confident that the baby would fit - he said he was concerned that the middle of my pelvis was not wide enough. He told me to push, and we would reevaluate. I pushed for 2.5 hours. I still couldn't feel much, so it was strange. I spiked a 100.4 fever during the pushing phase. The doctor ultimately told me I needed a c-section - that the baby had made no progress during the 2.5 hours of pushing. I was devastated. DH and I talked, and he confirmed that from his view, there had been no change. I cried and cried but consented to the c-section. It just seemed so unfair to be in labor for so long and to end up with my worst nightmare.
The c-section was awful. I could feel pain through my abdomen. They kept increasing the drugs to no avail. The baby's head was lodged in my pelvis - they had to push him back in order to get him out. With my fever, they were concerned there was an infection.
They ultimately got him in out and immediately were attending to him. DH stayed with me because I was still in so much pain and had started shaking uncontrollably. We heard him crying and DH went over and got pictures of him. They stitched me up and let me hold him briefly. The rest of the afternoon is a bit of a blur. I was able to nurse him briefly in the recovery rooms before they said he had to go to the NICU for antibiotics.
A couple of hours later, they let me visit him up there. At 8 lbs 12 oz and 22 inches, he was huge compared to the other infants. He was sleeping so I just got to snuggle with him.
He only had to stay in the NICU for a couple of hours. They put him on antibiotics for 2 days due to my fever, but all of the cultures came back negative.
We named him Robert (Robbie) after my dad. He's adorable.
I wish it had been a better labor experience... But I'm glad he is here and is healthy. Will try to post a pic soon!