Advice please!

Forum: Mommies With Tattoos and Piercings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommies With Tattoos and Piercings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Regular
I'm sure this may have been asked before...but here goes..

I am currently WTTC, got off BCP a month ago, trying to cleanse system a little before we TTC in June.

I have wanted to get a 2nd tat for years now, and am thinking i wanna do it soon now. I guess my question is should i have any concerns if i get it in a month or so, then have the possibility of conceiving in June. Is there anything that will be in my system from the tat that would be bad or affect pregnancy? I can always be sure to wait long enough in between. I recently got a tetanus booster, as I was due, so i figure thats a good start for prepping.

Any input?

Also, the tat i want is of a certain flower and will have 3 florets representing personal things. I really want one on my inner ankle, but not the high ankle part, more the lower, under the actual ankle bone. However i'm a little concerned there's not much space there. If i don't do it there, i will go with back of the shoulder. Anyone have these locations done, any likes/dislikes?

Thanks for any advice.
April 8th, 2009, 08:06 PM
MommyToTwo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MommyToTwo Send a message via Yahoo to MommyToTwo
I think as long as you are going to a reputable shop I don't see why you'd have any issues of something being in your system. If you have any doubts you can always ask an OB or the tattoo artist, but I would think you would be fine.

As far as the location, I think the place you want it in could be a little small and I don't think you'll want to compromise the detail to fit it in a smaller space KWIM? I like the first location but from the way it sounds you might be better off putting this one on the back of the shoulder. If and when you get it done share it with us! Hope you find the answers you are looking for here!

April 9th, 2009, 01:29 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi there!

as long as you go to a shop you trust and you know everything is clean and sterile then you should be fine. I had some new tattoos done a month or so before I conceived my first daughter and everything was fine

As for the location really it's down to personal preference but I agree that you probably wouldn't want to lose the detail to make it smaller. I personally love shoulder tattoos (the only reason I don't have one if because I want to get a back piece!) and it sounds like it would be a lovely place for it.

Do you have a pic of thye tattoo you're hoping to get that you can share with us? We'd love to see it!

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

April 9th, 2009, 05:45 AM
sunny's Avatar It's all in the Hips!
Nope no worries...the only reason they say not to get tattooed WHILE pregnant in fact is that if it puts you under any stress of course the baby will feel that stress. And of course like the others said go somewhere reputable!!!!

As far as detail goes I am always one to say do it bigger! Soooo many people think their tattoos will hold details and they don't! I have a crappy fairy on my back I got done in 1997 that can attest to that. She should have been done quite a bit bigger...now instead I have a fairy with a melted face!
April 9th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Regular
Thanks for the input.

The tat i want is of a stephanotis flower. Its the flower that represents happy marriage and i had it in my bouquet on our wedding day. I wanted to get something to represent my dh for a while, but i didn't want to do letters/names/dates anything like that, wanted it to be symbolic. So i put it off long enough, then when thinking about it again, I want 3 florets which would represent the 3 years we've been married so far and they also have personal meaning as to 3 things that have happened in my life since i've been with my dh that I prolly wouldn't have gotten thru without his support. The thing is the stephanotis flower kinda looks like any other 5 petal, star shaped flower, so i am toying with which view to get it in, b/c they do have like a fluted shape from the stem. Then the other thing is do i want any leaves or like twirly vines coming from that back. I guess i'm leaning more towards an authentic, natural look versus a cartooney, storybook flower.

MommyToTwo i see u live at Jersey shore...i am from central jersey and was actually looking at a tattoo shop in Toms River called White Lotus. It looks really nice, and is also an art gallery. do u know of it or have any other suggestions???

My 1st tat i got at a decent place, but the artists didn't do any blending or shading, so i'm trying to find better artists.

I'm really in love with the inner ankle spot now, plus since it is just flowers, most people will look & see a flower but only i will know the true meaning. Of course, i will def take the artist's input on it.

My only other concern is the flower is white, and i know the whole white ink issue...if anything it may just be black/gray with highlight to show its white.

here are some images from google:
stephanotis - Google Image Search
April 9th, 2009, 07:12 AM
sunny's Avatar It's all in the Hips!
Ruby I just posted pics of my tattoos up in the "our tattoos" spot...my one whole arm is flowers done with natural look I have white lily of the valleys but I may get them turned into bluebells since people always ask if they are done.....oy vey....so yeah white can cause an issue....I think if you were to get it done in black and gray that could be really gorgeous!!!
April 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Regular
thanks Sunny, I will check it out later....I can't view the pics at work!

I was doing a little research and seem to be getting contrasting opinions on if the inner ankle (down by the heel) is a more painful spot. Also reading about people with problems with foot tattoos, more bleeding, more peeling, more chance of infection, etc. Anybody have one? have any wisdom? To me i feel like that area is kinda soft, not so boney, but i guess it would hit the ankle bone or heel bone for the complete image.

scaring myself now! I'm usually good with pain, but ya know how u get older and things affect u more..like when i was 18 i didn't really have a care about it, now i don't know...hehe.

thanks for the help.
April 9th, 2009, 07:33 PM
OMG Ruby I just got my last tattoos there! lol Patrick Sheridan is my artist. I really liked him, not just his work, but I was comfortable with him which is big for me. I grew up in Toms River. Patrick is very honest and if he doesn't think it will work where you want it he will tell you. If you are questioning it, I say just stop in and talk to them if you can.

As far as other local tattoo shops, Bayside Ink in Beachwood is ok...not super thrilled with them. I've heard great things about Burning Monk in Toms River and Tribal Passage in Brick. PM me if you want more specifics!

OH and ditto to Sunny on the idea of black and gray instead of white. I think especially in the location your interested in, white might not work out so well.

Last edited by MommyToTwo; April 9th, 2009 at 07:35 PM. Reason: forgot something
April 13th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyToTwo View Post
OMG Ruby I just got my last tattoos there! lol Patrick Sheridan is my artist. I really liked him, not just his work, but I was comfortable with him which is big for me. I grew up in Toms River. Patrick is very honest and if he doesn't think it will work where you want it he will tell you. If you are questioning it, I say just stop in and talk to them if you can.

As far as other local tattoo shops, Bayside Ink in Beachwood is ok...not super thrilled with them. I've heard great things about Burning Monk in Toms River and Tribal Passage in Brick. PM me if you want more specifics!

OH and ditto to Sunny on the idea of black and gray instead of white. I think especially in the location your interested in, white might not work out so well.

So we stopped into White Lotus on Friday....I could've been ready to go right there, but its not like the old days where you just walk in and get inked...you actually have to make appts. So after looking at the different artist's books, and concluding that any of them can do the simple design, patrick was up there, so he was like "yea i can do this" So i have an appt. in 2 weeks. Hopefully i don't chicken out before then. Oh and its going to go more up on my ankle, b/c they said about the rough skin by the heel doesn't hold well. And black & gray. I just want more fine lines for the design, then more gray shading, don't want it to be too dark...we'll see what he comes up with. But its a nice shop. So, wish me luck!
April 13th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Awesome! Yeah Patrick is really cool. I'm actually going to try to get back to him before I move to get my kids names on my wrist or something. Just deciding what I want still so, we'll see. DON'T CHICKEN OUT! lol I think you'll be very happy with him and the design you want. Once you go, show us how it turns out!!!

April 15th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How spooky is that?! What a coincidence!

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search