Association of Professional Piercers

Forum: Mommies With Tattoos and Piercings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommies With Tattoos and Piercings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Llamamama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I saw that there were some questions in here about piercing and pregnancy. Here is where the association of professional piercers (APP) stand on some of these issues.

from Their Site

What is the APP POSITION ON Navel Piercings and Pregnancy?

Navel jewelry may be left in place; some women leave jewelry in during their entire pregnancy and delivery. If, during your pregnancy the piercing becomes uncomfortable, you can replace the jewelry with Tygon or PTFE, which are inert plastics (something like thick fishing line). These will bend and flex with your changing body, be more comfortable, and are safe to wear. Once your pregnancy is over, you can return to the jewelry.

Even long after the piercing is totally healed, it may or may not stay open without something in place. This varies from person to person. Wearing an inert plastic in the piercing will insure that it can be maintained.

In the event you elect to remove the jewelry entirely there is a chance it could be reinserted using an insertion taper even if the old jewelry wonÕt go back in readily. If it cannot be reinserted it is quite likely that it can be repierced.

As a side note, some women who lack sufficient tissue quantity or pliability for navel piercing prior to pregnancy are often well suited afterwards.

There is no special care that is required during pregnancy for healed piercings.

What is the APP POSITION ON Breast Feeding and Piercing

In our collective, massive experience, we have no awareness of even a single case of a woman who wished to breast feed and could not as a result of having had a nipple piercing. The milk ducts are a multiplicity of little pore-like ducts. Therefore, the likelihood of closing them all off from a piercing of usual size is virtually nil.

Most women do remove their jewelry for breast feeding and we believe this to be appropriate. As a result, some milk may come from the site of the piercing during nursing, which is not harmful nor problematic. Some will use an insertion taper (a tool designed for this purpose) to facilitate reinsertion or to check regularly and make certain the holes are open.

There is no special care that is required during pregnancy for healed piercings.

What is the APP POSITION ON Body Art During Pregnancy?

It is advisable to refrain from undergoing any and all body art procedures during a pregnancy, even just an ear lobe stretch. It is best to let your body focus on the important, complex and demanding task that it is handling already.

What is the APP POSITION ON Body Art Following Pregnancy?

We suggest that a three month waiting period be observed following delivery in order for the body to normalize and regain physiological and hormonal equilibrium before piercing.

Further, we suggest that a longer period be observed prior to nipple piercing. It is advisable and prudent to wait three months following the cessation of breast milk production before piercing of the nipples.
What is the APP POSITION ON Body Piercing During Nursing?

With the exception of a 3-month post-partum delay we do not find it contraindicated to receive piercings (with the obvious exception of the nipples) during nursing. The body is not under the same type of demands as during pregnancy.

Further, we suggest that a longer period be observed prior to nipple piercing. It is advisable and prudent to wait three months following the cessation of breast milk production before piercing of the nipples.

My boys are beautiful and look forward to meeting the new member of our family

@LizPW on Twitter or find me on my blog
February 27th, 2006, 06:46 PM
charitymerrill21's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
cool thanx for the post!!
February 27th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Mommyof3Hoppers's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommyof3Hoppers
Thanks very informative!

Look me up on Facebook - Meighan Hopper Bloomington, Illinois
February 27th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Noelle
I could never find a straight answer about BFing with nipple piercings. I'm a ditz for not thinking of the APP! Thanks for posting this!

March 2nd, 2006, 11:38 PM
smilingbaby's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to smilingbaby
Good info, thanks!

I know the guys that have the shop DH and I go make you sign waiver saying you are not pregnant. If you are, they wont get near you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search