Intro and help with questions, please!

Forum: Mommies With Tattoos and Piercings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommies With Tattoos and Piercings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Hi everyone,

I just found this forum by doing a general search for moms with tattoos. I need to ask some questions with moms who have tattoos and piercings as I am the rebel in my social circle and don't know anyone personally. I will go on to read the posts here but I wanted to get this out as my tattoo session is coming up soon and I am hoping for some feedback.

My name is Mandy. I'm married to Cory (for almost 12 years) and we have four kids ranging from 11 to 4. I am 31 years old. Two years ago I rocked the boat in my goody two shoes () social circle by... *gasp* piercing my nose. It got even better when I switched to a hoop. Sorry, the reactions make me laugh. My husband waited for 13 years of knowing me to get his first tattoo, because I was so nervous about how I would feel about him inked. So on to my questions...

I am planning on starting a full back tattoo this weekend. It will be my first. Talk about jumping in with both feet. Do any of you have to worry about reactions from your spouse or significant other? I know getting a tat is for the person getting it done. But my hubby waited a loooooong time to get anything done out of respect for me. I want to give him the respect back. The piece I'm having done is something we have both liked for a long time and he likes it. He even suggested it as a tattoo (as he didn't like my other ideas). He even set up the consult for me as a surprise. But now that I'm one week and counting from doing the deed he is silent about it. It's freaking me out! He won't talk to me and all he says is he just isn't sure how he will feel about it. Well, it's my entire back, so I was hoping for something different! He has one arm done and is set up to have the other done but we use the same artist and then there's the whole money issue. I'm grasping onto the idea that he is bummed to be waiting on his art. Does anyone have any similar reactions from spouses? How did it turn out?

My other big question is concerning being a mom. The tattoo would run from just below my back, across my shoulders to just around or just below pantline. Basically, it will be a shapely woman. Breast level up will show when wearing a tanktop or swimsuit. In 95% of the situations I think about I will be fine with showing that tat. It is the idea of being at a swimming pool for my kids' swim lessons surrounded by hundreds of little kids and their parents that sets me on edge a bit. If the tattoo was something like a bird or a flower this wouldn't even be an issue. I am questioning how having a shapely woman on my back with be taken in parenting situations that I cannot cover up. I have shown my kids the art and they all love it. My 5 year old daughter says she is going to get it on her back too when she grows up.

Thank you for any feedback.

~Mandy
March 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
I started small with my first two tattoos. Just my kids names on my wrist. I have been married for 10 years before I got my first one. DH and I talked and agreed it was ok and he helped me find an artist. Yeah he was bummed to wait on his for mine that I got on my back. But as long as he got one he was ok . I have an angel on my back that covers from my shoulder to spine and down to my bra strap. I want many more but being preggers I can't get any right now . If your DH is having concerns talk to him about it. Being on your back you won't see it as much as he will in my opinion. DH and I are big on makeing sure we both like the ink because we have to live with each other. As for what the moms say. If they are going to say something it won't matter what it is from my experience. But again if you are concerned at all or have reservations I would not go with it. Perhaps something smaller might be a good option? The spine can be quite painful. I can only last about 3 hours then I am shot and have to come back. Each session costs money. My kids love our tattoos and love to touch them. I think they thought they would wash off at first because their fake ones did . But they have figured it out now. Good luck with your tattoo. You can see my tattoos in the pictures section. You can see many ladies tattoos. Welcome to JM and the board.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

March 31st, 2011, 11:48 AM
You have great tattoos! The angel is beautiful. And thank you for the welcome. I didn't really want any smaller ones and both my DH and I were having trouble compromising. He would prefer nothing be on my arms at all. I might some day convince him of a knot around my wrist or some writing on the inside, but otherwise it's a big NO from him. The piece I picked out is an interesting mix of what I wanted in a form of art that he can appreciate better too. I know it is probably stupid to start so big on my first one. Oddly enough DH seems more excited about the full back piece and is very hesitant about a smaller wrist piece. My first session is supposed to be 2 hours and probably average about that each time, according to the artist. He estimated about 8 sessions. We also have a quote on the cost that he will stay with. I am mostly concerned about the healing afterward as I imagine the itching will drive me insane. DH says it feels like being scratched getting the work done. I was told that the detail work on the dress the woman is wearing will be the worst session. It will also be one of the last ones. Would the pain of work on the spine be comparable to the pain of the underside of the upper arm? Worse?

I played around in photoshop to get an idea of what it will look like. Now DH seems much more at ease with a clearer idea of seeing it on my back. He and I have argued back and forth a bit about the idea of covering it up. I teased that I would need to go shopping for a mesh cover up for my swimsuit and a few covering shirts to put over my strap tank tops if I want to cover up. He says I shouldn't, but I think having the option will be very reassuring to me. I am not sure I will ever be 100% comfortable with the idea until I do it. I hope I am not making a huge mistake, but I don't really feel like I am.

`Mandy
April 4th, 2011, 01:57 PM
So I went through with it. I love it so far. Her shape isn't as good as I was hoping, but a lot will change with more shading. And yeah...it hurt! I know this board does not seem very busy, but I thought I would update on my newbie status.
April 6th, 2011, 02:41 PM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi and yay for going through with it! It sounds like an interesting piece and I can't wait to see the finished piece.
As for covering it up, I would say if you are unsure, go ahead and buy a mesh coverup or a light cardi just in case. You may never need to use it, you might realize you are actually comfortable with it and proud of it to show it off. And not to be too snarky or anything, but I daresay if anyone has any negative comments about it, it may be that they are jealous b/c they don't have the balls to get one like it themselves lol, that's how I like to think when I get the sneers and comments from those holier than thou goody two shoes types!!
And I'm Tiffany by the way, I have a few pics of mine in the photo section if you'd like to have a look.

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

April 6th, 2011, 08:19 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Thank you for the compliment. My angel is my favorite .
Glad you got it started I would love to see what it looks like so far. The big thing is that you are happy. Sorry I am just getting back to this thread. Thanks for updating us.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 6th, 2011, 08:40 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DH HATES tattoos. I really had to work on him to get him to understand why I wanted them. He hesitated but agreed to let me get 3 but won't let me get any more than that.

I can't wait to see your new ink. After you get 10 posts, you can share pictures!!!

=May '05 and '11

April 9th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I wasn't sure if I should post a pic here or in the sharing section. Her shape isn't quite what I wanted, but oh well. Her waist should be a little more slender and her hips as well, but I think a lot of that will come together with the shading. The bottom of her dress just looked blah before some of that shading. I can't wait for her shading to be done and some color.

I got a comment about making sure not to show any of it while I'm at church. Now I can't wait to show it off.
April 11th, 2011, 12:37 AM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The pic is small so I can't see it really well, but it looks like it will be pretty awesome. And yes on something that detailed, the shading will make a world of difference!

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

April 12th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
My ex didn't care, he had some tattoos and he knew I had a tiny one when we got together. Now he thinks I look sexier with more tatts. I'm single now, and notice guys either absolutely love it, or hate it. Doesn't bother me any!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search