Can hospital force you to take out piercing?

Forum: Mommies With Tattoos and Piercings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommies With Tattoos and Piercings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Mom to minions's Avatar Super Mommy
I do not have to many piercings, but I have my ears twice, nose once, and tongue done. With #1 I had an emergency Csection and was told to take out all my piercings. I was in shock at the time (I was 28 weeks and sent to the ER at an OB appt) and just took them out. When they were put back in later, every single hole had healed! This was about 6 hours later when my ex reminded me. Kinda sad since I had left them all out before for my 9 hour work shift and never had an issue. The oldest piercing had been 9 years old and the newest was 5 years.

So after #3 was born I was re pierced. I was separated and fighting for divorce. So I figured I may not find another man or have any other children ever.

Surprise! I found a great man, he loves the minions (refers to them as his minions) and I am pregnant. I am stuck with Csection. I have heard from another mom somewhere where you can refuse. They will not be happy with you and they will cover the spots up for sterilization purposes. But you can leave your piercings in. Anyone have any experience? I really do not want them to heal up again. if they do, I will prob not have them redone. But I feel so naked without them. I was considering putting in plastic retainers.
Pork (Laurence) 9/09 ~ 8lbs 3oz @ 36 1/2 weeks
2 angels in heaven 10/06 and 01/11
April 6th, 2011, 12:34 PM
myblueyez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I honestly don't know on this, it might vary by hospital. And I really don't know the whole reasoning behind it, whether for sterilization purposes or if it has to do with the metal in them. I took mine out but had no issues with them closing up.
I would think if it has anything to do with the metal then you could just use plastic retainers. You might just check with your doctor or hospital on their specific reason why they need to be removed.

And congrats on finding a great man who accepts your minions as his own and the upcoming LO!!

~~Thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!~~

April 6th, 2011, 07:06 PM
JessP's Avatar Lovin life and family
Send a message via MSN to JessP Send a message via Yahoo to JessP
Congratulations on your pregnancy and new hubby .
When I had surgery I had to take out my piercings due to the metal incase the worst should happen and they need to shock you. I would think since a C Section is a type of surgery there is that risk. I agree you should check with your dr and see what their policy is. If you can do plastic retainers or if you will be forced to take them out. Good luck either way.

Thanks .:Shortcake:. for my great siggie
http://skinny-jessi.blogspot.com/

April 6th, 2011, 07:34 PM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've always had to take my piercings out during my sections but I never fought them. I agree about asking your dr if you can put a retainer in.

=May '05 and '11

April 21st, 2011, 05:31 AM
Karen P.'s Avatar Veteran
I was wondering the same thing. I can put a plastic retainer in my eyebrow one, and I am planning on taking out my belly one anyways - but my industrial is a whole other thing. I don't want to take it out and I don't know if the retainers will stay in.
May 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
TrainingWithTonya's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to TrainingWithTonya
I've only had to take mine out when I had an MRI. I've had surgery and left them in with no problems. They didn't like it but when I explained that it takes special tools to remove and replace them and anyone who took them out would be paying for having them replaced, they shut up.
Masters in Exercise Science Starting August 2012 at the University of South Florida

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search