Tattooes and Jobs?

Forum: Mommies With Tattoos and Piercings

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pickle0313

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Mommies With Tattoos and Piercings LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2012, 04:17 PM
KendallsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to KendallsMommy Send a message via Yahoo to KendallsMommy
Does anyone have tattooes/piercings that conflict with your job?

Have you ever been fired or not hired because of tattooes/piercings?

Thanks to pattyandthemoos for my beautiful siggy (:
January 7th, 2012, 07:25 PM
*PurpleMidnight*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I dont. My tattoos can be covered (shoulder blade, neck and foot)....also Im a wedding photographer, so it doesnt tend to worry people anyway

January 8th, 2012, 05:44 AM
KendallsMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to KendallsMommy Send a message via Yahoo to KendallsMommy
I work in a doctors office. I have one on my wrist but its my daughters name. As long as I dont have anything vulgar or on my face they are okay with it.

Thanks to pattyandthemoos for my beautiful siggy (:
January 11th, 2012, 07:57 PM
PiXeYstyx's Avatar Veteran
When I was at Walmart they had major issues with that. But I currently work at Walgreens and they don't care, which is nice.

January 13th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Super Mommy
I've been to a number of interviews in the past year and haven't been able to get a job, but I'm not sure if it is because of my tattoos. The one that is visible is a Japanese friendship symbol on my wrist. The last interview I went to I made sure to cover it up just in case.
Gavyn & Kendric - 8
Joseph - 18 months
Step-mom to:
Kiersten - 8
February 21st, 2012, 01:24 AM
yemanya's Avatar Regular
Im a librarian and whilst many of us have tattoos, its made very clear to us that they are not to be visible. Not a huge issue really, we have a strict modesty policy when it comes to dress code and my tattoo is on my shoulder, which have to be covered on everyone at all times anyway.

Other who have them on forearms and legs though have to wear long skirts/pants and long sleeved shirts all the time though.

But yeah, they cant discriminate and not hire us because of them, but as a condition of employment we have to have them covered, which is fine with me.

(as a note, I also have dreadlocks, and as part of the modesty dress code I have to have them wrapped up in a headscarf, so having a shoulder tattoo covered isnt my biggest pain in the backside when it comes to getting dressed)
July 15th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Run_Kat_Run's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Run_Kat_Run
I actually chose to be a hairdresser specifically because I could dress and be like myself. It's even encourage to be a little eccentric looking (though some privately owned salons don't like mods). So no, not an issue for me.

Now I'm school to be a nutritional counselor, though, so I may end up having to dress like it's the dead of winter soon.
July 18th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I usually have everything covered. I have a lip piercing right now that I wouldn't be able to cover it up, but the job I have doesn't care. If I were to change jobs, I'd remove the piercing.
July 18th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not an issue at my work, I am a bridal florist and as it is a privately owned business, no one cares.
August 9th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Baby Boy Coming in March!
I got my two visible tattoos while at my current job. Since I was already working there, what could they say really? She's tried to say I have to cover them up when the big wigs come but I'm in Phoenix and it's 115 degrees. I'm not wearing long sleeves, period. (one tat on each forearm)....

I was interviewing for other jobs and covering them up for the interviews. I don't want to give them any reason to not hire me, but once I'm hired I wouldn't worry about covering them up unless it was part of their dress code...

I wouldn't work anywhere that would have a problem w/ my tattoos. To me, it just wouldn't be a good fit. I feel like that type of an environment would be much too uptight for me. My tats are not offensive at all... the only person they have any meaning to is me. So yeah...
BriLandy likes this.

August 22nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I was a nurse and as part of the dress code we had to have them covered. I never covered mine and no one ever said anything. I am now a massage therapist and it's pretty accepted for us to be tattooed and pierced.

October 15th, 2012, 10:57 AM
BriLandy's Avatar Veteran
I just had an interview with three older conservative women for a new company. I forgot to take out my piercings (oops) and I have visible tattoos. Even though I interview well, I never got a call back and feel like they were judging me for my non-traditional appearance.

It's hard trying to find a job being pregnant and having tattoos/piercings!

Baby girl, due May 18th, 2013.

Bri
November 13th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Veteran
I work in a factory so as long as I have my interesting parts covered and my steel toe shoes on, no one cares about anything else. lol
I have worked many jobs, Target preferred my tattoos covered when I worked guest services but having the tattoos didn't keep me from being hired.
November 16th, 2012, 06:56 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
I am self employed and thankfully my clients all so far have had nothing but positive comments about my tattoos. I do have tattoos on my hands so that would probably make a regular job a little more difficult, as well as a sleeve, as well as a septum piercing, and 1" ear lobes.. But they are there - and obvious, so if a potential employer has an issue, they would know right away.. Not exactly something I could hide very easily.

January 11th, 2013, 11:35 PM
acupofjoe's Avatar Proud mama of three!
Send a message via Yahoo to acupofjoe
I have not had any issues so far unless I wear a lower cut top to work and you can see my chest tattoo that way but it has not really made a difference. I dont really wear those kind of shirts there so no biggie.
March 1st, 2013, 12:46 PM
butterfly721's Avatar TTC #1
My tattoos are on my lower back and shoulders and I only have a belly button piercing, so I've never had an issue with jobs. I just kept them covered.

When I worked at the courthouse, a lot of people had tattoos. I was surprised. Some of them were visible, too. No one ever complained.

I don't work now, though, so tattoos and piercings aren't an issue.
March 12th, 2013, 07:34 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I work in a state prison and I have several tattoos one on my arm that is visable and a tongue piercing and it has not been a problem. Lots of people here have tattoos..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search