NOT A DEBATE...just an FYI :)

Forum: Due Date Club of November 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of November 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2014, 08:47 AM
kellyowens's Avatar forever learning
The CDC now recommends pg women get a Tdap in the late 2nd tri or early 3rd tri to offer pertussis immunity to newborns until they get their first Dtap at 2months.

http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/...gnancy-hcp.htm

Just wanted to pass the info along.

Having had a 7wk old hospitalized because of life-threatening complications from pertussis I will be getting this one. I know not everyone feels comfortable with vax during pg which is understandable, but ever since my dd was hospitalized I've often wondered if pertussis could be prevented in babies who are too young to be vaxed by vaxing the pg moms...apparently it can be .

#10 due 11/15/14
April 15th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I worked post partum we would really push for all our new moms out there to get it before leaving the hospital "birth center". It is a minimum work requirement for me and all hospital employees now too. (all who provide direct contact with patients and customers)
April 15th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Veteran
Good to know! I will look into this. Thanks!

April 15th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know with my 3 year old I was told to get the shot before leaving the hospital. I'm glad they are offering during pregnancy - however, I got 1 3 years ago and they are supposed to last for 10 - so will it do any harm if I get one again?

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
April 15th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyt13 View Post
I know with my 3 year old I was told to get the shot before leaving the hospital. I'm glad they are offering during pregnancy - however, I got 1 3 years ago and they are supposed to last for 10 - so will it do any harm if I get one again?
No harm getting one again, but you don't need to get it if you aren't due. I think its now every 5 years too not every 10... I'm not 100% on that, but that's what I heard this past year.
April 15th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Super Mommy
Is there a way to just get the pertussis part of the shot, I wonder?
April 15th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure there is, but I haven't heard of it. They separate combo shots all the time for us picky parents (guilty of demanding that), so maybe ask your OB/MW if they can get just the pertussis?
April 15th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennyt13 View Post
The articles states:
Quote:
In October 2012, the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) voted to recommend that health care personnel should administer a dose of Tdap during each pregnancy irrespective of the patient's prior history of receiving Tdap (or Td).
MrsPalumbo likes this.

#10 due 11/15/14
April 15th, 2014, 09:20 AM
jellis82's Avatar Super Mommy
Interesting that they now recommend it during pregnancy. With my last (2 years ago this May) I got it while in the hospital after giving birth.

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 15th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Kelly, that's crazy! I find that just silly to get it EVERY pregnancy if not needed, (see!! The anti-vacer in me popping through! LOL). You should still have antibodies to the vaccine. I wonder if they are thinking it crosses the placenta and offers immunity that way? Honestly, I did horrible with vaccines in nursing school. I could never wrap my head around the recommended schedules and stuff.

Do you know why they might be wanting you to have it so frequently (well frequent if you have children close in age)?
April 15th, 2014, 09:39 AM
MadMay's Avatar Super Mommy
I already knew about this just because my sister told people they could not come over, see, or touch her daughter unless they had their vac for pertussis. Until Mylie was old enough to get it her self. So I got the shot. Im also planning on telling people the same thing no vaccination than stay away. Luckily everyone in my family vaccinates their children otherwise we would have issues there as well. I dont mind getting the shot again though anything to help baby to be safe <3

April 15th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE angry uterus View Post
Kelly, that's crazy! I find that just silly to get it EVERY pregnancy if not needed, (see!! The anti-vacer in me popping through! LOL). You should still have antibodies to the vaccine. I wonder if they are thinking it crosses the placenta and offers immunity that way? Honestly, I did horrible with vaccines in nursing school. I could never wrap my head around the recommended schedules and stuff.

Do you know why they might be wanting you to have it so frequently (well frequent if you have children close in age)?
Haha going to quote the article again since it states it better than I can reiterate :

Quote:
Transplacental transfer of maternal pertussis antibodies from mother to infant provides some protection against pertussis in early life, before infants are able to receive the primary DTaP series. Since the immune response to the vaccine peaks about 2 weeks after administration, Tdap vaccine is recommended between 27 and 36 weeks gestation in order to optimize antibody transfer and protection at birth. The level of pertussis antibodies decreases over time, so Tdap vaccine should be administered during every pregnancy so that each infant receives high levels of protective antibodies.
MrsPalumbo and BABY3. like this.

#10 due 11/15/14
April 15th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG. I still don't get it! LOL I might be a lost cause though. Honestly, I had a HORRIBLE time with active and passive immunity, etc.

Is it because its getting passed on through the placenta (ie mom) or via breastmilk (if mom chooses to BF), or just because by the time baby is born, mom is better protected and less likely to pass it on to baby by not contracting the virus to start with?
April 15th, 2014, 09:46 AM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriwx View Post
Is there a way to just get the pertussis part of the shot, I wonder?
Unfortunately, no. They have a TT, and a TD, so they can separate out the aP, but evidently there is not a single aP vaccine available.

Pertussis (Whooping Cough) Vaccine and Immunization Information

More information on Tdap and DTaP
Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (DTaP) Vaccine and Immunization Information

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography

Last edited by michelleH; April 15th, 2014 at 09:49 AM.
April 15th, 2014, 09:47 AM
MommyOf22014's Avatar Sarah
I will most likely get it. But I think I may had just had it. I will have to check my records. But thanks Kelly for the information

April 15th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE angry uterus View Post
OMG. I still don't get it! LOL I might be a lost cause though. Honestly, I had a HORRIBLE time with active and passive immunity, etc.

Is it because its getting passed on through the placenta (ie mom) or via breastmilk (if mom chooses to BF), or just because by the time baby is born, mom is better protected and less likely to pass it on to baby by not contracting the virus to start with?
It says transplacental transfer of *maternal* antibodies, so I would say passive immunity since the vax does not appear (based on this article) to stimulate the baby's own antibody response (I assume due to an immature immune system) .

The article goes on to say:
Quote:
The effectiveness of maternal antibodies in preventing infant pertussis is not yet known, but pertussis antibodies can protect against some disease and the severe outcomes that come along with it.

So I think what it's saying is that they don't know how effective these maternal antibodies are in *preventing* the disease entirely, but we know they will *protect* against some disease and severe cases if baby does contract it.

And obviously it offers active immunity to mom so she will not pass it on to her baby.
THE angry uterus likes this.

#10 due 11/15/14
April 15th, 2014, 10:31 AM
destiny2000's Avatar Super Mommy
I had it with my last one who is almost 4, and I will have it again
April 15th, 2014, 11:28 AM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't do it with my last, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable getting it while pregnant, but I will see if they can give it to me at the hospital.
April 15th, 2014, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaganorDean View Post
I didn't do it with my last, and I'm not sure I'm comfortable getting it while pregnant, but I will see if they can give it to me at the hospital.
The article does say those who didn't get it during pg should get it prior to being discharged after baby is born

#10 due 11/15/14
April 15th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Veteran
I had something after I had my 14 month old but I don't remember what it was! My arm hurt from that sucker though.

Joy, wife to Glen, mother to 13 year old Sanura, 10 year old Adrian, 8 year old Nevaeh, 6 year old Lincoln, 1 year old Charlotte, and new addition: Harper Ellen coming around Thanksgiving!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search