Breast Feeding vs Bottle Feeding

Forum: Due Date Club of November 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree38Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of November 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2014, 02:43 PM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pregnant_5 View Post
I plan to breastfeed this baby too. I don't have a problem with formula though. There's absolutely no difference when they are older.
This is absolutely untrue. Formula feeding costs this country $13.5 billion in health care costs each year. I know I have the citation for the journal article that makes this claim somewhere around here. When I find it I will elaborate. Remember, feeding a child formula or feeding them breast milk is something that can have an impact for life. I know that we have all heard that breastfeeding decreases x, y and z. However, the reality is formula feeding increases those things. Breastfeeding is the biological norm and when we introduce formula and we see a difference in health between those two groups it's not because breastfeeding is decreasing those rates, formula is increasing them. I'm not saying this to bash formula fed babies. It's a great option for babies that truly need it, but the facts are they are not the same. Not even close.
KellJoO and michelleH like this.

April 19th, 2014, 03:04 PM
jellis82's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm really hoping to breastfeed this time. With DD, I think I was just too embarrassed in the hospital and my breasts hurt soooooo bad when my milk finally came in 3 days later, I just couldn't handle it. With DS, my nips hurt so bad and he had latching issues. I did speak to a Lactation Consultant at the hospital and she also came to my home a few days later. It hurt so bad that I would literally sit there and cry and would dread feeding time. That is the point where I decided that for me it wasn't worth it to resent that time, breastfeeding should be a beautiful bonding time between mother and baby and it just didn't feel that way. Don't get me wrong, I didn't expect it to feel wonderful at first or to be easy but it was just really bad. As soon as I started feeding him formula I was able to bond with him much quicker because we both enjoyed the time instead of it being stressful with him screaming trying to get milk and me crying because it hurt so bad. I really really hope it works out this time, but I do understand that breastfeeding isn't necessarily for everyone.
pregnant_5 likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 19th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I BF. The first two weeks my nipples hate me, but once I get to that point where they toughen up it is all good.
jrchubbycheeks likes this.

April 19th, 2014, 06:21 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I'm in the minority because pumping and supplementing worked best for me. It took five days for my milk to fully come in, and the lactation consultant in the hospital was horrible. She made me feel uncomfortable and inadequate. Call me weird, but I just wasn't comfortable with the idea of dealing with an LC anyway. I'm more of a trial and error, do it myself person. My DD had formula and basically whatever I was able to pump the first few days.

I tried actually breastfeeding her, and 80% of the time she had latching issues. She got frustrated with it and so did I.

I should mention that I have fibrocystic breasts, and although pumping did help my overall breast pain, my nipples were always painful.

I used a hospital pump, and I would constantly get blisters, and my nipples would crack and bleed. I did it anyway. I would compare the pain of pumping for me to getting blood drawn. Bearable, but unpleasant...

Anyway, after my milk came in DD had exclusively pumped milk for about four and a half months until I needed to supplement some. Of course as her need grew, so did the supplementing, and I eventually dried up at 11 months.

I gave it my all, and it's what worked for me. I plan on doing something similar this time, but if this little cutie will actually latch it will save me some heartache.

I can safely say my daughter had both, and she's been doing great. She's three and has had two ear infections, and an allergic reaction to the Penicillin she was given for the ear infection. Other than that, just the common colds, and seasonal allergies which were unavoidable as DH and I both have them. Good luck, and don't rule out exclusively pumping/supplementing as an option too, if bfing isn't working out.
pregnant_5 likes this.
April 19th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Veteran
I can also find citations to show there is no difference when they are adults. No parent should feel less than adequate because they choose not to breastfeed or are unable.

My daughter had 11 ear infections in 10 months and required tubes. She NEVER had a drop of formula. Those 2 don't necessarily go hand in hand. So don't feel bad.
Rebelmommy likes this.

Last edited by pregnant_5; April 19th, 2014 at 07:08 PM.
April 19th, 2014, 07:35 PM
I'm not saying they should feel less adequate at all. I'm simply saying that formula is not the same thing as breast milk, it never has been and it never will be.

** I was incorrect with my number, the publication says $10.5 billion, 741 deaths would be save if 80% of infants in the US were exclusively breast fed the first 6 months. When studies say that breastfeeding reduces cancer, obesity and much more there are costs associated with caring for those who were fed formula that have greater chances of getting cancer and so on. A push for breastfeeding has been a major public health initiative because of how much healthier it is for the infant, and mother. Benefits are not just limited to the child. Mothers that breastfeed greatly reduce their chances of breast cancer, arthritis and much more, sometimes upwards of 50%.

Of course anyone that wishes to learn more about that article is welcome to do so here. The Burden Of Suboptimal Breastfeeding In The United States: A Pediatric Cost Analysis.

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/flrpp/...astfeeding.pdf
michelleH likes this.

Last edited by BlueEyes09; April 19th, 2014 at 07:41 PM.
April 19th, 2014, 09:14 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I exclusively BF and hope to do so with this baby as well I like the bonding and the fact that it is free (i am that cheap lol). With my first the uterine contractions were a slight thing lasting maybe two days.

With DS2 I wanted to DIE, i felt like i was in freaking labor every time i fed DS for almost a month. I stuck with it and it finally let up but I am so not looking forward to that again :/

Oh and I detest pumping. It is probably my biggest complaint about breastfeeding, but my shifts are so long it is unavoidable.

April 19th, 2014, 11:22 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I EBF and EBF (extended breast feed) and will do with this one too. I had a hard time with both... Had to complete relactate with #2 after ending up in the ICU from c/s complications. It was hard but doable.

I think it was in the book "So that's what they are there for" that has a story about a chimp or gorilla who had to be taught to nurse. It was really fascinating and I know I needed a ton of support.
BlueEyes09 likes this.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

April 21st, 2014, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy S. View Post
I EBF and EBF (extended breast feed) and will do with this one too. I had a hard time with both... Had to complete relactate with #2 after ending up in the ICU from c/s complications. It was hard but doable.

I think it was in the book "So that's what they are there for" that has a story about a chimp or gorilla who had to be taught to nurse. It was really fascinating and I know I needed a ton of support.

You are so right, nursing is not easy for everyone. But you will always hear things that are worth it may never be easy. Bravo for going the extra 100 miles for your children I also remember that story. The zoo contacted LLL to have members come nurse their children in front of the the chimp so she could see what she was supposed to do. That just goes to show we learn how to mimic what we see and nursing is something that shouldn't be hidden or shameful
Lucy S. likes this.

April 21st, 2014, 10:28 AM
MommyOf22014's Avatar Sarah
I have to agree with Reaganordean. My LC was a down right snotty b!tch both times. I had to use formula both times and felt like crap because others made me feel like I was a bad mom for not being able to. I am going to push to BF this time as well.
jellis82 likes this.

April 21st, 2014, 12:11 PM
QuinnBaby's Avatar Veteran
I BF with my first for 5 weeks. I was a teen mom and had to go back to school (sounds so awkward to say that). I had a very difficult time starting out, but that was mostly because DS's dad was a jerk and blamed me for 'starving' DS because he wouldn't latch on. My husband now is wonderful and will be very supportive so I think BF will be much easier and (seeing as I am not in school anymore..lol) I think I will be able to BF much longer. The pump did make my uterus contract some, but I loved having breast milk for him even when I wasn't around.

April 21st, 2014, 01:11 PM
WaitinginNJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes09 View Post
Speaking of pumps, your insurance or WIC bf counselor should be able to provide you an electric one at little to no cost.
That is so funny you said that because I received an email today telling me I can order a free breast pump through my insurance.
~*Kixs*~ and BlueEyes09 like this.

RIP Julianna Rose-Marie Tyreesa
June 6, 2014

My Ovulation Chart
April 21st, 2014, 02:50 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
miss_lyssa_ Even with a not so balanced diet if you drink enough water you will make milk. No need to pump at all. Just feed. The milk does change to all kinds of weird colors. This is normal. I am not a picture of health with my diet at all.

With my first I did pump a lot. I had to go back to work and wanted to build a supply and get the baby used to a bottle for when I was away.

BUT if you are going to be home you can skip the pumping. If you spend the time to pump you could just be feeding the baby. If you feed on demand AND pump this will give you a painful oversupply.

If you need to be away. Don't feel you need to pump loads of milk for the baby.

When I was gone at work my son got 4 oz every 4 hours from 4 months to 12 months. (He did nurse on demand though the night.)

April 21st, 2014, 03:23 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCgirl View Post
miss_lyssa_ Even with a not so balanced diet if you drink enough water you will make milk. No need to pump at all. Just feed. The milk does change to all kinds of weird colors. This is normal. I am not a picture of health with my diet at all.
Yep, it changes colors! You have more milk in the morning time and it is generally thinner milk and will look watery and almost blueish LOL At night you may notice you pump less milk but it is thinker and more yellowish. That milk has more fat in it. I can't remember why your body does it that way (I will go look it up) but it is a perfectly natural cycle.

I have BF my kids and EBF the youngest (no paci or anything) then was able to extended BF him until 2yo. But I am one of the weird ones that likes to pump to build a little freezer stash. It makes me feel more secure just knowing I have a days worth of milk on hand just in case.

April 21st, 2014, 03:36 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_lyssa_ View Post
I'm going to try to BF more with this one. The hospital I had DS at didn't have a real lactation consultant...she was a nurse who told me how to hold him and that was it. This hospital have multiple 24/7 which is good.
So you don't have to share with all of the internet where you live but I am in Texas too just on the other side of Dallas

Most of the Texas Health Hospitals (the old Presby & Methodist Hospitals...like Harris Methodist) have become "breastfeeding friendly" hospitals over the last few years. They don't give paci's in the nursery anymore. They don't give the formula sample bags. And they have lots of LC on staff now. Hopefully if you deliver at one of these hospitals you will have a lot more encouragement and help this time around.

April 21st, 2014, 06:33 PM
tmmgeekette's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to tmmgeekette
I think my boobs were made for breastfeeding. In the sense that I have big nipples and my babies never had a problem latching on. I exclusively breastfeed my kids 3-4 months. Then started supplementing after that because I work full time and pumping is so hard to do from work. Eventually I would dry up.

DD1 - Jada (10)
DD2 - Maya (7)

Baby3 - Due on Turkey Day, 2014

April 22nd, 2014, 05:43 AM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
I'm a BF'er here as well Those first couple weeks are always heII on my nips but I just chug right through. Once they toughen up it's easy sailing from there. ..but getting there.. with the bleeding nipples and cramping.. ughhh not always fun. I just always tell myself "cavemen didn't have formula. You wouldn't want your cavebaby to die." LOL. It motivates me.

With my second he had a terrible latch the first month or so. He was tongue tied and had to have that snipped. Some friends recommended I try a nipple shield and it worked great! I hope to avoid that this time but I will try it again if I have to. So far 2 of 2 kiddos have required a small tongue surgery.. I'm just assuming #3 may need it as well. Let's hope not.. but we'll be prepared

if all else fails, I'll pump.

it's a BOY!!

April 22nd, 2014, 11:05 AM
Rebelmommy's Avatar Mommy to controlled chaos
I hope to breastfeed again, but I only manged to breastfeed my older son. All the rest of my babies were given breastmilk exclusively from a bottle for the first year. i want to second what some of the other momma said.. pumping exclusively (with no formula given) is REALLY REALLY HARD!! you do twice as much work as you would to formula feed or breast feed, and the older your baby gets the harder it becomes to keep them occupied while you are attached to the pump for 15-30 minutes I will be breastfeeding this baby baring any unforeseen circumstances
Talon
(12/05/05) Creighton (01/31/13) (05/02/14)

April 23rd, 2014, 07:36 AM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Some information on soy formula.
Soy Infant Formula: A Formula For Disaster | Food Renegade

Again, YES, some people don't have a choice on whether to use formula or not. However, you do have a choice on what's in the formula that you do use. If formula is unavoidable for your baby, make sure that you know the potential risks of what's in the formula and make an informed decision.

On a personal note, out of three children, I am the only one who had formula as a baby because I had "failure to thrive" on breast milk alone. My two sisters get pregnant if you look at them cross eyed, it took me many months of trying.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography

Last edited by michelleH; April 23rd, 2014 at 07:49 AM.
April 23rd, 2014, 08:37 AM
KellJoO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleH View Post
Some information on soy formula.
Soy Infant Formula: A Formula For Disaster | Food Renegade

Again, YES, some people don't have a choice on whether to use formula or not. However, you do have a choice on what's in the formula that you do use. If formula is unavoidable for your baby, make sure that you know the potential risks of what's in the formula and make an informed decision.

On a personal note, out of three children, I am the only one who had formula as a baby because I had "failure to thrive" on breast milk alone. My two sisters get pregnant if you look at them cross eyed, it took me many months of trying.
That article is very interesting.

I was the one baby among my siblings that had problems with BFing too, so I was fed formula. And, look at that, I'm the one who had the most difficulty getting pregnant. My other sisters had much better luck and my brother has two babies that took little time to conceive as well.

I completely understand that not everyone CAN BF, but totally agree you have to look at your other options and not just settle for what is commercially "normal" to feed. What is on the shelf may not be contributing to your babys health. Again, go back to science and what we are MEANT to be consuming. Not everything on the shelf is there for our well-being.

The one thing I hear formula feeders complain about a lot is the cost. Do you really think that Gerber cares about what is being put into your baby? I doubt it. They see dollar signs.
michelleH likes this.
Cautiously Expecting #1

IT'S A GIRL!!!

One Angel in Heaven lost @ 6Weeks 2/7/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search