Making your own baby food?

Forum: Due Date Club of November 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of November 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2014, 12:09 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We did baby led weaning with #2 & #3. I tried purees with #2 at 5m (we was showing signs of readiness for foods...we delay solids but follow the childs queues). Anyways DS flat out refused purees and I was so stressed b/c he would grab at our food and cry when we were eating. He really wanted solids. His pedi actually mentioned baby led weaning and said that 2nd children often want what they see the older child eating. I handed DS a piece of banana that night and he went to town! It is funny how you fall into things as a parent out of trial and error.

And I completely agree about the rice cereal for infants. It is so hard on their tummies. And it makes them so gassy Some really good 1st goods are banana's and avocado's b/c they are soft and sweet like breast milk so BF babies often take to them.
KellJoO and QuinnBaby like this.

April 22nd, 2014, 02:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
As someone with a baby who had a lot of digestive issues, I would actually be more careful of wheat and gluten then rice, but to each their own! Rice was a staple food for us. He had problems with diarrhea and bloody stools and they wanted us to use some sort of fortified cereal to help his hemoglobin. I never noticed any gas or discomfort from the rice cereal. Again though, we used Beachnut which was the only baby cereal out there certified gluten free. We also did a lot of rice flour breads, rice chips, rice crackers, etc. We didn't use nearly the amount of rice cereal they would have liked. It was used occasionally as a thickener and we used it to make homemade teething biscuits...
KellJoO likes this.
April 22nd, 2014, 07:27 PM
Veteran
It's great! I did with DD and DS and plan on it again.
Madi (09.02.05) & Kyler (10.11.07)
&
April 22nd, 2014, 09:14 PM
MommyOf22014's Avatar Sarah
A couple of my friends did it but idk I might look into it. I usually gave my kids organic healthy baby foods.

April 22nd, 2014, 09:55 PM
Veteran
I've done homemade baby foods. Did the frozen ice cube tray thing. That worked great. Did store bought with one. Had 2 that skipped baby food.

April 22nd, 2014, 10:46 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
We did baby led weaning although I am not sure it had a name when I did it almost 14yr ago I think they just called me crazy With #1 we decided to skip babyfood but he wasn't interested in food until after a year old but weighed 30 pounds at a year (was exclusively breastfed) so I don't think I harmed him #2 wasn't so easier I think.

It's so interesting how things I did that were radical 14 years ago are becoming so popular LOL! I still do some things that are still not mainstream but its so much easier! And now being different is cool LOL!!

Right now I watch my nephew and my sister does thing slightly differently than me. She has him on baby food and I want to make him food but I don't want plastic. I got him off plastic bottles (she even bought glass after I did ) so I don't want to store his food in plastic. Right now i have her buying organic baby food in glass. I was thinking of reusing the glass jars or buying canning 4oz jars but the expansion issue bothers me- as I think a baby would be more sensitive to freeze burn if any happened because of the expansion. Thoughts?
KellJoO likes this.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

April 23rd, 2014, 06:27 AM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy S. View Post
I was thinking of reusing the glass jars or buying canning 4oz jars but the expansion issue bothers me- as I think a baby would be more sensitive to freeze burn if any happened because of the expansion. Thoughts?
You mean the problem of expansion in glass while in the freezer? (Sorry, my brain is foggy this morning.)

If you're going to use canning jars, why not actually preserve the food instead of freezing? The pressure canner is an investment of course, but you can then skip the thawing step.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
April 23rd, 2014, 06:57 AM
KellJoO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I thought about canning some too.... probably would last much longer.

I'm pretty sure my mom has a pressure tank too. She used to can a lot of stuff back in the day!
michelleH likes this.
Cautiously Expecting #1

IT'S A GIRL!!!

One Angel in Heaven lost @ 6Weeks 2/7/2013
April 23rd, 2014, 07:26 AM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
That's what we're planning to do. Just remember that you can not puree the fruits and veggies before the canning, they must be in chunks.
KellJoO likes this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
April 23rd, 2014, 09:24 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Honestly canning scares me I think i saw something as a kid of the dangers if you do it wrong and that has scarred for life!

Yes the expansion are you leave at the top. It can sometimes collect ice We use canning jars instead of freezer bags here. It works really well (unless I don't leave enough room ) but I would rather use smaller jars than a 4oz as he just started eating and wastes a lot. Although it's dirt cheap to make your own so maybe I should just do it!
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search