Genealogy for baby names?

Forum: Due Date Club of November 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By partyofeleven
  • 2 Post By THE angry uterus
  • 1 Post By ~*Kixs*~
  • 1 Post By nursingmama
  • 1 Post By Angelamomtomany
  • 1 Post By pregnant_5
  • 1 Post By BABY3.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of November 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2014, 03:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DH and I like older names. DH's family likes "family" names. Honestly though, they just like the older names, lol. DH and his dad really wanted us to name DS1 after this dying cat they had who was also named for his 'great great great grandaddy'. Yeahhhhhh.... I never met the guy, DH never did, and he was likely way dead before FIL ever was born. Anyway, to me, the name belonged to a dying cat and I wasn't having it. We did go with Oliver and George and both actually have tractor names. (Oliver is a tractor and George's middle name is Ferguson, also part of a tractor name)

Going back in the tree though, there are a lot of interesting names which I would likely never consider or would have come up with on my own. Like we have a few Januarys (none of them born in January, lol). There are a few other interesting names too, but I'd need to go looking again for inspiration.

Anyone else using genealogy for baby name inspiration?
April 22nd, 2014, 04:03 PM
kixsgc's Avatar Veteran
We're going to use family names and 'older' names for this baby.
Both of our dads are named David so this baby's middle name will be David if it's a boy and if it's a girl her middle name will be Lee, we're toying with the first names, the boy we're pretty set on, we're undecided for a girl. The only family name we really like for a first name is Olive, but we're so up in the air on a girls name right now.

Our Rainbow baby <3
Henry David- 11.11.14<3

April 22nd, 2014, 04:44 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by kixsgc View Post
We're going to use family names and 'older' names for this baby.
Both of our dads are named David so this baby's middle name will be David if it's a boy and if it's a girl her middle name will be Lee, we're toying with the first names, the boy we're pretty set on, we're undecided for a girl. The only family name we really like for a first name is Olive, but we're so up in the air on a girls name right now.
Olive was on our short list of girl name ideas. So cute!

We use family names for middle names but we haven't gone back in history with it. It's been closer family members...siblings, parents, grandparents.

Joy, wife to Glen, mother to 13 year old Sanura, 10 year old Adrian, 8 year old Nevaeh, 6 year old Lincoln, 1 year old Charlotte, and new addition: Harper Ellen coming around Thanksgiving!
April 22nd, 2014, 04:47 PM
kixsgc's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrchubbycheeks View Post
Olive was on our short list of girl name ideas. So cute!

We use family names for middle names but we haven't gone back in history with it. It's been closer family members...siblings, parents, grandparents.
We just found out that Olive was a family name. Her name would be Olive Lee - I'm up in the air with it. I have a list of girl names to go through, but I don't even want to stress over it until I have to. haha

Our Rainbow baby <3
Henry David- 11.11.14<3

April 22nd, 2014, 04:55 PM
partyofeleven's Avatar Member
I don't generally choose names from our families but there is one that was my great great grandfather's name that has come up a few times over the years. It's just a really cool name and rather neat that it's in the family. His name was Prosper.

Otherwise, we gave one of our daughters my grandmother's middle name for her middle name, Catherine. Haven't used family names other than that.

I DO like old, vintage names, though. Probably from someone else's geneology that is more interesting than mine.

April 22nd, 2014, 05:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Prosper IS a pretty cool name!

I hate the thought of naming a child after a family member which is why I'd like the genealogy for inspiration really. I don't want anyone getting upset cause we named baby after so and so but so and so didn't get named after, etc.
QuinnBaby and partyofeleven like this.
April 22nd, 2014, 05:04 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like the idea of going farther back in the family tree. That being said, one of my third cousins already used the name, so I wouldn't feel too original.

My great grandmother's name was Zella, and I always thought about using it. DH doesn't like it though anyway, so....Good luck with it Jamie. I'm interested to see what you come up with.
April 22nd, 2014, 05:17 PM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
If it's a girl, we're naming her after my great grandmothers on both sides. If it's a boy, we're naming her after my husband (not my first choice, but my husband really wants to.)

Genealogies can have some very interesting names in them. I think using them for ideas is a good one.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
April 22nd, 2014, 06:03 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All my kids have a family name as their middle name. I love naming after family. It is such a tribute. Thus far we have only named after living relatives though. Naming after the dead bothers me. Hope that doesn't sound mean. It is just a personal thing.
BABY3. likes this.

April 22nd, 2014, 06:19 PM
lizbitz16's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes! All my brothers and I were named after family members, I plan to continue the tradition. Keep it in the family! Been picking my grandparents brains about their family history and names. Haven't found anything unique so we plan on going traditional/vintage at this point. DH already claimed a boys name after himself (he's a Jr) which is fine, but I was extremely close to my grandfather so it upsets me a bit I can't name a boy after him. I told DH just means we're gonna have to have at least 2 boys!

April 22nd, 2014, 07:28 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I hate using family names (not when others do it just me personally). Family names are big in my husbands culture but we will not continue the tradition. I like my kids to have their own names that no one else in the family has
And Baby Makes 3 likes this.

April 22nd, 2014, 07:38 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a girl name on our list from way back in DH's family tree. I looked it up and less than 5 girls were named this in 2012. Might be the way to go if you want something no one else has.
THE angry uterus likes this.
April 22nd, 2014, 11:00 PM
Veteran
2 of my kids are named from family history records. My son's name is Monroe. That was a name that completed a 7 generation family line that my husband and his mom worked on for years. Very special.
THE angry uterus likes this.

April 23rd, 2014, 08:05 AM
QuinnBaby's Avatar Veteran
In DH's family, almost all of the guys have the same name. It is either Jon, John, Patrick, Daniel Or Vincent. DH's dad's name is Daniel Vincent, one grandpa is Patrick, one grandpa is John and DH is Jon Patrick. Oh and our last name is Quinn and one of the cousins first name is Quinn. The names just circle around. DH wants to name our child, if it's a boy, Daniel or Vincent, but I don't like using family names because someone is always left out and has their feelings hurt. Plus, my child is his or her own person. Why not give him or her a name that is unique to just my child in our family?

April 23rd, 2014, 12:12 PM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
We do family names for middle names. Both our boys middle names are our father's names.
~*Kixs*~ likes this.

#1 #2 #3 ALL BOYS!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search