Staring- Rude? Or fine.

Forum: Due Date Club of November 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree34Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of November 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2014, 04:39 PM
MommyOf22014's Avatar Sarah
An older man was staring at me at the doctors. I was with my daughter, she was quietly drawing her name on a piece of paper. He wouldn't stop staring at me, making me uncomfortable. I wanted to yell what are you looking at but I just ignored it. I'm tired of people looking at me funny. I'm a young mom but not that young, I'm 25. People judge my looks and think I'm 15 so I get dirty looks. And I lost my wedding ring a little while ago so people don't know I'm married. It's frustrating. Do you find it rude when people stare, and what do you do or would you do?

April 22nd, 2014, 04:42 PM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
I have simply made eye contact, smiled and said "Can I help you with something?"

It usually throws them off and they stop being creepy.
aubreyk828 and mommesara like this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
April 22nd, 2014, 05:03 PM
Veteran
We get stares because my son has autism and flaps his hands, yells, moans, jumps up and down, and squeals.

My life is too short and happy to worry about what other people are and aren't looking at.

I ignore it.

ETA- Not to mention the stares we get for having a big family. I just assume the best. That they admire large families and not that they're thinking "what a freak show"

Joy, wife to Glen, mother to 13 year old Sanura, 10 year old Adrian, 8 year old Nevaeh, 6 year old Lincoln, 1 year old Charlotte, and new addition: Harper Ellen coming around Thanksgiving!

Last edited by jrchubbycheeks; April 22nd, 2014 at 05:07 PM.
April 22nd, 2014, 05:05 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Staring it a huge pet peeve of mine. Just don't do it! No one actually likes to be stared at. But I hate confrontation so I never say anything.
MommyOf22014 likes this.

April 22nd, 2014, 05:14 PM
That's the worst. People shouldn't stare because your child has autism. That would make me so upset. I get mad at my children when they stare, I tell them it's not nice. I don't mind if someone is staring in awe of my kids, they usually say how cute. But when they stare at me I take it personal. I don't like confrontation either because of my temper makes me say mean things so I try to ignore it. I think I'd be used to it, I had DS at 18 but seems like nothing has changed even being 25 and married.
~*Kixs*~ likes this.

April 22nd, 2014, 06:33 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get a lot of stares for how young I look ( I'm also 25 but look younger) I find staring less annoying than questions like "are you a teen mom" and yes someone has asked me that and worse

April 22nd, 2014, 06:49 PM
Oh goodness, people need to reevaluate what's appropriate and what's not. So rude. =\

April 22nd, 2014, 07:12 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm completely oblivious to people looking at me or my family for the most part. At 33, I'm lucky if I get carded. LOL

If I happen to notice, the person is being completely obnoxious. Ex. A waitress who ignores me, while being overly flirty with my husband...or the creepy guy at work that acts like Fat Albert and stares and my boobs.
MommyOf22014 likes this.
April 22nd, 2014, 08:54 PM
JuneBugsMom's Avatar Super Mommy
I stare back to give them the hint. I hate rude people!
KellJoO and MommyOf22014 like this.

It's a Girl!!!

April 22nd, 2014, 08:55 PM
Taniam's Avatar Veteran
I was once stared at for about 15 minutes by a woman sitting directly across from me in the Amsterdam airport. So i stared back, she was completely oblivious, then her husband started staring at me too and he seemed angry. I kept on staring and kept on talking to my husband while still staring. At some point i started talking about the woman staring at me while staring at her back... it was just so weird. But yes, that's my solution stare back until it gets uncomfortable, they will eventually stop.

My Ovulation Chart

April 22nd, 2014, 09:11 PM
Haha that's funny.

April 22nd, 2014, 09:41 PM
Veteran
Maybe he was staring because he thought your daughter was super cute.

April 22nd, 2014, 10:32 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
I stare back too and make a "what?" look? But I am super aggro pregnant
I hope thats not why he was staring! Honestly i think there are just stupid people who don't realize they are being rude! I get stared at a couple times a year and can't for the life of me figure out why. I think some people are really weird! Try not to take it personally... If he was staring at you for that reason, he has bigger problems than you! Like being RUDE and stupid!
JuneBugsMom and MommyOf22014 like this.
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

April 23rd, 2014, 06:10 AM
KellJoO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I find staring completely rude & uncomfortable! At least if you're staring for a good reason- like say they think your family is cute or whatever.... have the balls so say "Oh your little girl is so cute!" And not just sit there like a freak..

I get people staring at me all the time too. The Doctors office seems to be the place it happens the most. And I have no clue why. I have no kids.......yet..... its usually just me.

When it happens I usually just keep glancing back at them.....like ***.....I can see you've got a staring problem....quit it!!

And it is a good thing to teach your kids not to stare...... there's not one acceptable thing about it!
Lucy S. and MommyOf22014 like this.
Cautiously Expecting #1

IT'S A GIRL!!!

One Angel in Heaven lost @ 6Weeks 2/7/2013
April 23rd, 2014, 09:14 AM
Yeah before Landyn my son would stare and say rude things out loud. He was young and didnt understand. He once said something about a midget and an obese lady. That was real bad, so I taught them not to judge or stare.

April 23rd, 2014, 09:30 AM
tmmgeekette's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to tmmgeekette
That's behavior I would expect from a 5 year old, not an adult.

I like to give people something to look at if they're going to stare for long periods. Like, maybe I'll start picking my nose and flicking it on the carpet, or making stupid monster faces. lol!!
Lucy S. and MommyOf22014 like this.

DD1 - Jada (11)
DD2 - Maya (8)

Baby3 - Due on Turkey Day, 2014

April 23rd, 2014, 09:38 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyOf22014 View Post
Yeah before Landyn my son would stare and say rude things out loud. He was young and didnt understand. He once said something about a midget and an obese lady. That was real bad, so I taught them not to judge or stare.
Man, kids have a way of humbling you don't they. Punk kids
My 8yo & 5yo have done similar things and we have had "the talk" about how God makes everyone different and that is a beautiful thing. But nothing like having a kid scream across Ikea "hey mom, that lady is an Indian!". She was dressed in the traditional dress, had the red dot and cool nose piercing that connected to her ear. My daughter was fascinated but extremely vocal about it.*face palm*
MommyOf22014 likes this.

April 23rd, 2014, 10:01 AM
Veteran
I was babysitting my nephew one day and I was at the laundromat. A man in an electric wheelchair came in and he goes "THAT'S AWESOME!" The man didn't seem amused but I actually thought that it was pretty hilarious.

My younger son has gotten into asking people "what's your name?" randomly. One day we were in a line at the store and he asked the lady behind us "What's your name?" she says "Sandy" He says "I'm Lincoln. Can I have a hug?" And she said "Sure!" and hugged him. I was a little embarrassed with that one but she was super nice.

Kids are funny

Joy, wife to Glen, mother to 13 year old Sanura, 10 year old Adrian, 8 year old Nevaeh, 6 year old Lincoln, 1 year old Charlotte, and new addition: Harper Ellen coming around Thanksgiving!
April 23rd, 2014, 11:02 AM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
I'll admit. I am one of those people. NOT the starer.. but the one looking around the doctor's office waiting room wondering why each patient is there. ESPECIALLY the gyno office. LOL ..... Are you pregnant? Do you have herpes? Annual check-up? I GOTTA KNOW. Hahaha!
Lucy S. and KellJoO like this.

it's a BOY!!

April 23rd, 2014, 03:39 PM
Veteran
I could care less if someone stared at me. People do weird stuff all the time and I'm not going to let it affect my day. I probably wouldn't even notice. Just my take on it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search