Why I chose not to have an epidural

Forum: Due Date Club of November 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree29Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of November 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2014, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not trying to start a debate, or make anyone feel less of a person in any way, but I just wanted to share some insight for others to consider when deciding on if they want an epidural or not.

1). I'm a chicken and I had needles. No joke. But I've endured the 'torture' of getting an epidural with three of my five births, lol. The last time they tried twice and the epidural didn't work. A huge waste of $1000+ dollars (and yes you/insurance still have to pay for the drugs and the docs time if it doesn't work and yes that sucks).

2). My first epidural was a miracle. I looooved it. Honestly though, I didn't need it and I got it at 8cm because I was afraid those last 2 cm the pain might have gotten bad and I didn't want to 'feel' baby 'slide' out. That was my first and last nearly painless labor, lol. I also got what is called a 'spinal headache' afterwards. But it wasn't even as bad as a migraine and I didn't know what it was called at the time. The second epidural hurt. A LOT. Two attempts and it finally was in and worked. It worked so well, it stopped my labor at 9cm. I needed my labor 'augmented' with pitocin (which is never good anyway, even under an epidural, since it can put baby in distress and cause hyperstimulation of the uterus. Keep in mind despite my hate for pitocin, I have had 4 our of my 5 labors "induced" or augmented for one reason or another.) The last epidural I had, I begged and they agreed to attempt to put the epidural in at 9cm. WTFrenchtoast. Like really? Someone could have just said it was too late and to simply help me through that last centimeter. That epidural was painfully attempted through HORRIBLE contractions TWICE, and then never worked. I never would have known that I got a 'bolus' if I hadn't been told or over heard it. I'm not sure which it was. I hated paying that bill. No, I loathed it. Oh, and my back hurt for months after that epidural, and I think my second too...

3). I learned this later, but because the epidural can and usually does tank your blood pressure, they give you a fluid bolus of like 2 liters. Those two liters contribute to swelling post delivery. That swelling is a problem if you already are at risk of preE, but since I'm not, my concern is that, that swelling also goes to your breasts. If you plan to BF, then that swelling will delay your milk from coming by a few days. (same argument with c-sections. The fluid load they give you will delay your milk from coming in, so if you have an emergency c-section and its take a little while, don't sweat it, it will come in, its just being delayed by the fluid restricting your milk ducts.)

4). I also learned this before my last and this is my main reason now for NOT getting an epidural... The pain experienced during labor releases endorphins. Those endorphins also are passed through the placenta to baby so that baby is getting extra pain relieving endorphins. Labor isn't just painful for mom. Its painful for baby too. True morphine, dilaudid, and stadol, all pass through the placenta, but that's not something I personally want to be giving a newborn as they can cause respiratory distress and feeding issues post delivery. Then if feeding issues arise, you could experience problems with baby's blood sugar levels, etc.

So. Those are my reasons. Just thought I'd share.
April 30th, 2014, 03:59 PM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm with ya. Epidurals also are statistically a "slippery slope" to more interventions and every intervention raises the likelihood of a c-section being forced on you. Statistically, one intervention is rare.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
April 30th, 2014, 04:00 PM
WaitinginNJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had no idea! I did get it done with my last 2 deliveries. The first one, my back hurt for MONTHS after and the 2nd, well...I had to go to a chiropractor for a while because my hips always go out of alignment and it has something to do with some discs in my spine (no help I know) but I was fine before that darn epidural!!!

I know wonder if that is why I had so much trouble trying to bf and gave up....interesting thing to remember, thank you for sharing!

RIP Julianna Rose-Marie Tyreesa
June 6, 2014

My Ovulation Chart

My Ovulation Chart
April 30th, 2014, 04:18 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When I was pregnant with my 1st I really wanted a nice natural birth with no meds. But when she showed as breech at 30w and again at 34w my doctor started talking c/s.

I am not a fan of needles! And not giant ones being stuck in my back!!!! But with a c/s a knew an epi was needed.

We took a c/s birth class at our hospital to help me prepare and get my mind around it all. They opened an epi kit and let us see the needle and cath and what-not. The doctors were great and answered all our questions. It really put my mind at ease knowing I had to have numbing meds in my back for the surgery. (I would highly recommend this class even if you don't plan on a c/s. It is so helpful knowing what is happening if you do end up with one. I felt less helpless b/c I knew what to expect)

I ended up with epi's for both my VBAC's. One worked wonderfully the other never fully took and ran out and could not be redosed before DS#2 was born. Still had to pay full darn price for it too

But I will still probably ask for an epi again with this baby. It just helps me to relax enough to let my body do the work and I really think that has helped me to have 2 successful VBACs.

*No, you don't need an epi for a successful vaginal birth. Not saying that at all! Just saying I think it is what works for me*

Oh and holy moly I was given stadol for pain while being stitched up after my c/s and that stuff is STRONG! In the video of me meeting my DD for the 1st time (an hour after the c/s) I am so high and speaking complete jibberish! It is actually pretty funny now. Whoa, good stuff!

April 30th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG. I honestly might have passed out if I looked at what the needle for the epidural looked like!! For some women, the epidural can actually speed up labor. It's especially good for those who have suffered sexual abuse or abuse that is hindering progress of dilation.
April 30th, 2014, 04:29 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE angry uterus View Post
OMG. I honestly might have passed out if I looked at what the needle for the epidural looked like!! For some women, the epidural can actually speed up labor. It's especially good for those who have suffered sexual abuse or abuse that is hindering progress of dilation.
Really??? That is interesting. My heart breaks for women who have to endure the triggers of past abuse during childbirth. Yes, labor is hard and it is work but childbirth is so cleansing and renewing...KWIM

So grateful we live in a time where different things are available to help the body that care for the mind as well!

Yeah, and that needle was pretty scary! Okay, it probably is not in reality but in my mind with like 20 feet tall!
THE angry uterus likes this.

April 30th, 2014, 04:33 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I don't get epi's because I like labor and delivery, I guess I am a freak. LOL
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
April 30th, 2014, 04:41 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My bp tends to go high towards the end of my pregnancy and was 140/90 the morning I got induced with DD. I think I was in early labor.

Anyway, my first one worked beautifully. I did have a delay in my milk for five days, but once it came in, it was in.

Anyway, I think I got my epi when I was around a 7, but if I didn't I think I literally would have blacked out from the pain. My body was starting to go into a flight response.

I'm going to go with it again since I don't want to pass out, and because I have a lot of concerns with my BP while in labor. The epi helped bring it back down into normal range last time.
And Baby Makes 3 likes this.
April 30th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Veteran
I tried to go natural with my first and they seriously let me get an epidural moments before I started pushing. Such a waste. My back hurt for about a year after...it stopped me in my tracks at work.

The next four I've done naturally but I beg for drugs every time. My husband knows when I start begging that means the baby is coming out NOW and the doctor needs to come.

When I'm at my most desperate the baby is coming in minutes.

Joy, wife to Glen, mother to 13 year old Sanura, 10 year old Adrian, 8 year old Nevaeh, 6 year old Lincoln, 1 year old Charlotte, and new addition: Harper Ellen coming around Thanksgiving!
April 30th, 2014, 04:54 PM
MommyOf22014's Avatar Sarah
I have to admit my first I had one (at 18 being immature and deathly afraid) got it at 5cm. When I was 8cm the doctor told me to squat down on bed and sit there for my son to come down the birth canal (he didn't drop and he was high up there) started feeling my feet then legs and then contractions. Looked back and boom it had disconnected the hose. I freaked at told doctor to put it back in and they told me they can't because I have to feel when to push. So what a waste I had my son naturally. Just had the epidural for the contractions till 9cm.

I don't have back problems where I got it so maybe I'm lucky?

With my second I was determined to go natural because I learned my lesson what a waste it was to get an epidural. But the doctor popped my bag way to early at 6cm and it freaked my dd out hr dropped down to 50s. So rushed into c section. All natural right pshhh???!!!

This one I'm all for all natural vaginal delivery. Hoping everything goes smoothly. I'm not a teen anymore and I know my rights and I won't like my nurse or doctor push me into anything invasive this time.
michelleH likes this.

April 30th, 2014, 05:00 PM
MommyOf22014's Avatar Sarah
Btw I heard you can't have an epidural during a VBAC because you won't feel if you have a uterine rupture, but then I just read kids did. I'm confused.

Kixs
~*Kixs*~ likes this.

April 30th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran
I have only had an epi once and it had nothing to do with delivering a baby and was after both babies were born.

Both my babies were born in the tub. I love it that way. It's amazing to watch their brand new body slide out and their eyes open and they swim in the water for a min then my hands pull them up and cuddle them in warm water until the cord stops pulsing and is clipped. Then I hand baby over to hubby and dash for the shower! Its amazing.. for me.

I had an epi for a back surgery and I was horribly scared of the HUGE needle that was going to penetrate my back into my spine. They gave me valium and told me to hold still - HA HA - finally, I asked are you going to do it already? It done, Sara. -HA HA- It wasn't horrible at all. Then I was numb.

That don't mean that I am going to get one... and it don't mean that I won't . I believe they serve their purpose.

Great information! Thanks for sharing.
Madi (09.02.05) & Kyler (10.11.07)
&
April 30th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrchubbycheeks View Post
I tried to go natural with my first and they seriously let me get an epidural moments before I started pushing. Such a waste. My back hurt for about a year after...it stopped me in my tracks at work.

The next four I've done naturally but I beg for drugs every time. My husband knows when I start begging that means the baby is coming out NOW and the doctor needs to come.

When I'm at my most desperate the baby is coming in minutes.
OMG this made me LOL. That's about it too! When it becomes unbearable its almost over! With DS1 it was really bad though. I had scar tissue preventing me from dilating and it was seriously like pushing against a brick wall. It was terrible!! Worst delivery by far!!
April 30th, 2014, 05:22 PM
kellyowens's Avatar forever learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMomma View Post
I don't get epi's because I like labor and delivery, I guess I am a freak. LOL
Yup, me too...I find it crazy exciting and exhilarating, seriously, I do...I already cant wait !!!

I did get an intrathecal ("walking epidural") with my last baby because I was facing a c/s due to an active gbs infection of my uterus, bladder, and placenta...baby wasn't tolerating it well and my contrx were all over the place. I was seeing midwives and the overseeing OB said he'd give us an hour, but he didn't feel baby could handle much more than that. So, after 45mins and still at 7cm (hadn't progressed in 4hrs even with pit...I was induced because I went 36hrs without contrx after my water broke) I requested the intrathecal. Ha, dilated to 10 and pushed baby out within 15mins. Come to find out baby's stress had nothing to do with the infection and contrx, but the cord was double wrapped around his neck so he couldn't descend without compressing/pulling the cord. Midwife had to reach in to cut it and he was fine...just terribly bruised and badly jaundiced.

I had no problems whatsoever with the intrathecal. I had a true epi with my appendectomy when I was 8months pg with my 5th baby...had horrible spasming/shooting pains from the insertion site to the base of my skull for weeks afterwards, ugh !! Thankfully, it had eased up by the time I went into labor.

#10 due 11/15/14
April 30th, 2014, 05:25 PM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The epidural and pitocin was my sure fire ticket to my c-section. I know it. I will not be doing that again. I have a lot of regret and resent towards the doctors that guilted me and made me feel broken. I still feel nervous about failure this next time. I know my body is made for this, but I need a bit more reassurance so I plan to sign up for a birth boot camp.

April 30th, 2014, 05:26 PM
lizbitz16's Avatar Super Mommy
So this is my first, haven't put much thought into delivery yet. A lot of you are saying epidurals cause back pain, I have a previous back injury and I was worried the pressure during delivery would bring that injury out. How painful is natural birth on your lower back??

April 30th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbitz16 View Post
So this is my first, haven't put much thought into delivery yet. A lot of you are saying epidurals cause back pain, I have a previous back injury and I was worried the pressure during delivery would bring that injury out. How painful is natural birth on your lower back??
It depends on your labor and how baby is positioned. I would also say depends on where your back injury is/was. I never had back labor so that wasn't an issue for me. I did have a sunny side up baby, and that can cause back labor I've heard.

I'm terrified that if I HAVE to have a c-section for any reason that they wont be able to place the epidural or spinal. Also with my second epidural I did have some trouble breathing I think cause the epidural was too high but I was afraid to say anything and have them stop it. I'm so stupid. hahah I honestly would rather opt for general anesth. then another epidural.
April 30th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Taniam's Avatar Veteran
I read a lot about epidurals and we have chosen to go without. Here in Canada the whole idea of pitocin and inducing and scheduled c-section is less common so i don't think would need to fear being forced into a c-section. The epidural scares me because of that risk of multiple interventions leading to c-section. So we are going with a midwife at a birth center where they do not administer pictocin (except for blood loss after delivery) or epidurals. I hope to use the birthing tubs to ease the pain. I think i might have to get some knowledge from my mother in law who had 1 c-section, 3 v-bacs, 2 of which were at home. I think she has a lot she can teach me on pain management!

My Ovulation Chart

April 30th, 2014, 06:35 PM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
I've birthed both completely natural as well as with an epidural. I don't know what we'll do yet this time. It all matters in the moment. My oldest was sunnyside up and his face became lodged on my pelvic bone. They insisted at 8.5cm I have an epidural and explained how they were going to physically go in there and adjust him to come out. It was awful. I thank my lucky stars for drugs that day! LOL

#1 #2 #3 ALL BOYS!!
April 30th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
They were going to give me an epidural to break the scar tissue on my cervix, but then they just kept giving me more and more pitocin. It seriously was the WORST labor of them all!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search