car seats

Forum: Due Date Club of November 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ndnrussell
  • 1 Post By BlueEyes09
  • 1 Post By jellis82

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of November 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 12th, 2014, 02:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Has anyone started looking yet? I know we will go with an infant seat to start with. Especially after the cold arctic winter we had last year, I don't want to take baby out of her seat if I don't have too. We actually used the infant carrier with DS1 & DS2 for a year.

We have a travel system and the stroller is still good, but the car seat needs to go. Its a graco snug ride. I love how we can snap it into a base and buy extra bases for the grandparents, or how you can buckle it in without the base. Plus of course it attaches to the stroller. We baby wore, but we also used the stroller for trips where I needed to lug a diaper bag and stuff around. Its nice to have options (hence some moms having a million different types of wraps/carriers! LOL). Anyway, I was hoping to get another car seat that will snap into the stroller and then snag the seat cover and swap them out. If not then I need ideas! LOL
May 12th, 2014, 02:22 AM
ndnrussell's Avatar Veteran
I've looked a little at car seats, and like you I'll be going with an infant seat. We'll buy an extra base because we have two vehicles. It just seems to make the most sense for us with winter basically on our heels as soon as the baby is born. I like the idea of just snapping the seat in place and heading out on my way. As for brands, I've just been reading reviews. Some of the cheaper Walmart ones get just as good reviews as the more expensive ones, and I figure they've all had to pass safety tests, so I don't think I'll spend a whole heck of a lot on one.
THE angry uterus likes this.
May 12th, 2014, 04:47 AM
destiny2000's Avatar Super Mommy
Ive been searching car seats for weeks lol, I'm going to go with a baby trend one, with being short I need the extra space on the handle to use with my forearm to help carry it. Graco has had so many recalls lately that I'm scared to use them (not that I have an issue if someone else does, just my own comfort level) and the car seats with the straight handle just end up digging into my arm when I'm carrying them so now I'm just trying to decide which baby trend style I want lol
May 12th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Raunchero's Avatar Happy as a Clam :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny2000 View Post
Graco has had so many recalls lately that I'm scared to use them (not that I have an issue if someone else does,
Being a first time mom... I'm not very savvy on this. However, I have read the recalls, and it seems as it applies to front facing, and it was due to kids spilling sticky drinks on the buckle. True?

Not challenging just wondering if I misunderstood?

May 12th, 2014, 07:37 AM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are skipping the infant seat this time. My daughter was so uncomfortable in it and we switched her over to a convertible at 4 months. I figure I'd rather spend the money on an infant kinderpack and be completely hands free. Plus, we already have convertible seat we aren't using so it's one less cost for us. (can anyone notice my theme this time around? I don't want to spend any money if I don't have to.)

ndrusssell, you are correct, there is no such thing as one seat being safer than another. They all meet the same minimum safety requirements

May 12th, 2014, 07:47 AM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes09 View Post
ndrusssell, you are correct, there is no such thing as one seat being safer than another. They all meet the same minimum safety requirements
I would disagree with this. They all meet minimum requirements, but some exceed those requirements making them much safer.

For example, a Volvo and a SmartCar meet the identical minimum requirements for crash tests, or they couldn't be sold. BUT, a Volvo is FAR safer than a SmartCar because it exceeds those minimum standards by leaps and bounds.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
May 12th, 2014, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleH View Post
I would disagree with this. They all meet minimum requirements, but some exceed those requirements making them much safer.
Okay, I worded that oddly. There are seats that by pure odds that are safer than others, but how will you ever know? Testing is for minimum standards, and that's it. Something you might consider is ease of use, which varies greatly, but there are no tests beyond those minimum standards. Even car seat techs will say all seats are safe and the only thing that ensures safety really is proper use.
THE angry uterus likes this.

Last edited by BlueEyes09; May 12th, 2014 at 07:56 AM.
May 12th, 2014, 07:56 AM
jellis82's Avatar Super Mommy
We will just use the infant seat we used for our son. He will be 2 in 8 days so it won't expire for awhile. It is boy themed with elephants but I bought a carseat cover set from that car seat canopies company in a pretty lavender and grey floral print that I will put on it if the baby is a girl (fingers crossed).
KellJoO likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 12th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny2000 View Post
the car seats with the straight handle just end up digging into my arm when I'm carrying them
OMG. Yes. NO to the weird shaped handles! Great point! I have to pay attention to the top clip too. I find some are better then others, while others are just harder or more of a PITA to unclip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raunchero View Post
Being a first time mom... I'm not very savvy on this. However, I have read the recalls, and it seems as it applies to front facing, and it was due to kids spilling sticky drinks on the buckle. True?

I don't believe its spilling sticky drinks on the buckles, it was just they were difficult to unclip in an emergency. Our buckles were recalled on our convertible seats, but we haven't had any issues with unclipping them so we didn't order the replacement. From my understanding is if you have a crappy clip, you'd have problems from the get go. I could be wrong on this.
May 12th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Okay, I worded that oddly. There are seats that by pure odds that are safer than others, but how will you ever know? Testing is for minimum standards, and that's it. Something you might consider is ease of use, which varies greatly, but there are no tests beyond those minimum standards. Even car seat techs will say all seats are safe and the only thing that ensures safety really is proper use.
There are many independent review sites that compare safety past the minimum standards. Consumer Reports is one (though you must be a member to view their ratings.)

A few others I found:
Baby Car Seats Review 2014 | Best Infant Car Seats - TopTenReviews
13 Infant Car Seats Earn Best Rating in Consumer Reports Crash Tests - KickingTires

Some differences include side impact protection, materials used for construction, how the harness is constructed, etc.

It's hard to find unbiased reviews that aren't from consumers, as most consumers aren't buying ten different models and comparing them. They buy one and then report if they liked it or not with nothing to compare to.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
May 12th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleH View Post

It's hard to find unbiased reviews that aren't from consumers, as most consumers aren't buying ten different models and comparing them. They buy one and then report if they liked it or not with nothing to compare to.
That's why I would go with what a car seat tech says. Their knowledge on the subject is leaps and bounds beyond the average seat user, and by far beyond what I know as a seat safety fanatic.

**eta, I just looked at that first link. How they measure safety is based on certain criteria like height and weight limits, not based on crash tests where it really counts. Even one of the components is if the seat has LATCH, and every tech will tell you that LATCH is not a safety feature, it's convenience .

Last edited by BlueEyes09; May 12th, 2014 at 08:25 AM.
May 12th, 2014, 09:04 AM
MommyOf22014's Avatar Sarah
I've looked online and in store. We are going to get the travel system, stroller and car seat. The ones that do for into stroller like you want. (Usually eh en they come together they fit) They are expensive but worth it. It runs 130-200$ but we won't get anything special probably find the better deal and color hopefully will be blue, but tan works too.

May 12th, 2014, 09:44 AM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im not sure what I want to do this time around. My infant seat I already got rid of and although I love travel systems I mostly just end up baby wearing so Im not sure it is worth it.

I might skip the infant seat because I am so small that after a month the baby's weight + the car seat weight is just way to much for me to carry so I just end up leaving the car seat strapped into the car.

May 12th, 2014, 10:13 AM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
This is the one I use rear facing as LONG as possible! BRITAX Marathon™ XE (G4) Convertible Car Seat in Onyx - buybuyBaby.com

When the baby is a newborn until about 6 months I use a graco snugride.

May 12th, 2014, 10:40 AM
Quote:
That's why I would go with what a car seat tech says. Their knowledge on the subject is leaps and bounds beyond the average seat user, and by far beyond what I know as a seat safety fanatic.
My point was just that there are different levels of quality/safety, and in an earlier post you stated that "there is no such thing as one seat being safer than another. They all meet the same minimum safety requirements"

I absolutely agree that they all meet minimum safety requirements. Of course they do, or they couldn't be on the market. However, there is a huge difference in the quality of construction and materials between this:

Graco® ComfortSport™ Convertible Car Seat in Jette - buybuyBaby.com

and this:
BRITAX Advocate® (G4) Convertible Car Seat in Broadway - buybuyBaby.com

Steel reinforcement instead of all plastic, shock absorbing teather, side impact protection, etc.

Those, of course, are two extremes (though not the highest or lowest price on the website) and there is a huge range between them. Of course, not everyone has $400 for a car seat, and you must balance your budget with your individual needs.

If your budget means that you go with the one that meets all of the basic requirements, then your baby will be as safe as you can make him/her. But to say that there is no difference in overall safety between the very basic models and the high end models is not exactly accurate. There is more that just bells and whistles that cause the difference in price.

We're planning to get one of the "systems" so that we can put a base in each car and pop the seat in and out. Then use the stroller, etc as well. We just haven't picked one out yet. That's the plan anyway, but things always seeem to change!

One angel baby - 1/22/14

May 12th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are huge chicco fans. We have used the keyfit infant seat with the last few babies and have our youngest in the Nextfit now. DH wants to go straight to the Nextfit this time and skip the infant seat. I am not sure yet if i am willing to do that.

Compare Infant Seats | Car Seats For The Littles

May 12th, 2014, 11:07 AM
JuneBugsMom's Avatar Super Mommy
We haven't talked about it yet. We'll probably look up ratings and go from there. I had a snug ride with my youngest, it was too bad.

It's a Girl!!!

May 12th, 2014, 04:30 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have a graco snug ride from DS#2 that is not expired. We will be using that again. My kids tend to be tall so they don't make it long in the infant seat due to the height limits. We will research convertible car seats once baby out grows the infant seat.

I love this website when it comes to car seats and car seat safety.
The Car Seat Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raunchero View Post

They changed the design of the bottom buckle to a smaller one that pushed in and not down (like the old design). It was MUCH stiffer and does get stuck at times. In an emergency this would be very bad! But Graco has been awesome about sending replacement parts ASAP when called. We have 3 of the seats effected in this recall :/

May 13th, 2014, 09:18 AM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
I've always gone straight to the convertible 5-80lbs ones.. but this time I think I am going to try out one of these infant seats. I figure it may be easier for me seeing as it's #3. I typically babywear if we go anywhere but for quick trips to pick up my oldest at school and whatnot I think it would be nice to be able to keep baby in the seat. Here are the 2 I have picked out...

it's a BOY!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search