Circumcision

Forum: Due Date Club of November 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree63Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of November 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2014, 12:39 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also worked in a nursing home and never once had a man with an infection. If the CNA's are doing proper care it shouldn't be an issue.
nyc_mama, Lucy S. and michelleH like this.
July 22nd, 2014, 12:40 PM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
There are women who have this done, have their hood removed, and some believe in the ritual, and there is also a ritual of genital "nicks."
My point was that in the US you'd be hard pressed to find a doctor who would perform the equivalent operation on a female child, and I'd be surprised if CPS wasn't called over the request.

If an adult decided (on her own) that she wanted to have it done, that's her right, as an adult. "Labia sculpting" seems to be a booming plastic surgery in metropolitan areas. *shudder* So evidently, some women don't mind removal of some skin, but that's their prerogative.

Quote:
Europeans don't seem to have that problem whatsoever, nor do they have a problem with keeping their penises clean.
Exactly.

Oddly enough, the cultures that practice female genital cutting do not circumcise.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
July 22nd, 2014, 01:18 PM
neji's Avatar Veteran
My husband and I had this discussion before we knew the gender of our baby. In the end, we decided to leave it up to our child to decide. My husband is circumcised, but his was done later around 9. Although he wasn't given a choice, (his mom told him they were going out to get some ice cream), he didn't suffer any bad side effects having it done later in life. For some reason, though, he doesn't like ice cream too much. Just kidding about the ice cream bit.
Lucy S. and michelleH like this.
July 22nd, 2014, 01:50 PM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
LOL @ the ice cream! ^ I have a good friend who also had it done at 9 and he has made jokes about his mother traumatizing him for as long as I've known him. Haha!

Also... as for the insurance comment it is most definitely covered by insurance. Ours covered the last 2 and I already received the paperwork saying it would cover this one as well. Of course, I'm sure it depends on what type of insurance you have. We have very good insurance. I don't have to pay a nickel for OB visits or labor and delivery. Everything is covered.

& to answer the question, yes, we will be having this baby snipped as well. To each his own. I don't have any problems with any mother choosing what they feel is best for their baby. This is what I feel is best for mine.

..plus.. I won't lie... I think it looks much nicer cut.
jellis82 likes this.

#1 #2 #3 ALL BOYS!!
July 22nd, 2014, 05:39 PM
MadMay's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamomtomany View Post
I also worked in a nursing home and never once had a man with an infection. If the CNA's are doing proper care it shouldn't be an issue.
I was speaking about new patients coming into the facility usually from their home. They received proper care and with time the issue was resolved, but who knows how long these men lived with this problem before getting proper medical attention.

July 22nd, 2014, 10:17 PM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are having a boy. We are not circumcising. I find it unethical, not to mention harmful. Thankfully my husband agrees with me. He feels he was wronged because it was done to him without consent, that he was robbed of a huge part of his sex life.
michelleH likes this.

July 23rd, 2014, 06:55 AM
I checked and circumcision is covered by my insurance. I'm sure it varies by plan, company and state.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
July 24th, 2014, 12:49 AM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelamomtomany View Post

I agree about not having proper care and would pull my family out of a nursing home if an infection like that ever happened!!! Such bull!! My BF is a nurse, my mom is a nurse, my ex works as a nursing home social worker and all said that is piss poor care and they would love to see the grading for the state report!

if my lazy stinky 9 and 14yo don't have an issue AT ALL EVER, I highly doubt there would be in the future. And should I be wrong? Again, my boys have the choice to change it!

As far as looking like dad, my ex has dark black hair and brown eyes while my 9yo is blue eyed and very bright red hair. Should I dye his hair and get him contacts so he doesn't wonder why he doesn't look like Daddy? No obviously. Instead in our family we celebrate differences. Literally telling DS he is so special to have red hair and blue eyes
But I was wrong in a point above- DS1 did notice he and dad were different when he was about 4yo when he exclaimed that daddy had a piggy penis and he had an elephant one! It was very funny and never an issue.

Approximately 75% of men in the world are intact. Circumcision is becoming less and less common in America and most medically evolved nations do not even offer male circumcision and think it's cruel.
I think it's a cultural thing and even in the last 15 years I have seen it personally become less and less common.
"circumcision does not prevent HIV or other diseases.Over the years, the claims that circumcision prevents various diseases have repeatedly been proven to be exaggerated or outright fabrications. Most men in the United States are circumcised, but our STD rates are as high as or higher than those in countries where circumcision is rare."

Odd are if your child later is at risk or STDs they will end up with one. I think our energy is better spent with educating our children on responsible choices rather than a cosmetic procedure that will minimally reduce the risk and poses risks of many other complications in an of itself.

Ah I swore I wouldn't even reply but I did. This is a hot button issue for a lot of people and most people have made up their minds. I honestly know some of what I say can offend a disagreeing mama and that isn't my intent. I am actually directing this at moms still trying to decide. I want both sides heard so I state my opinion. But I think I am done now... i don't think this thread is going to go anywhere positive so I am going to unsubscribe and walk away.
To all those who made a different choice, please know I do not think you are awful bad mothers. I just disagree passionately as I am sure you disagree with my choice.

To all those still decided please educate yourself. Watch a video on the procedure. Make a choice- every part of your baby is YOUR baby and you were put on this earth to advocate for your child in every way. It's not always easy but it's worth it
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog

July 24th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Quote:
To all those who made a different choice, please know I do not think you are awful bad mothers. I just disagree passionately as I am sure you disagree with my choice.
I agree with this.

I started this thread because it's an important topic to discuss, and unlike most topics there isn't much "gray area" you're going to have it done or you're not.

However, there are people who are still on the fence on the issue, and should hear both sides.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

July 24th, 2014, 05:59 PM
Lucy, will you be my platonic life partner? I think I'm in love with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy S. View Post
I agree about not having proper care and would pull my family out of a nursing home if an infection like that ever happened!!! Such bull!! My BF is a nurse, my mom is a nurse, my ex works as a nursing home social worker and all said that is piss poor care and they would love to see the grading for the state report!

if my lazy stinky 9 and 14yo don't have an issue AT ALL EVER, I highly doubt there would be in the future. And should I be wrong? Again, my boys have the choice to change it!

As far as looking like dad, my ex has dark black hair and brown eyes while my 9yo is blue eyed and very bright red hair. Should I dye his hair and get him contacts so he doesn't wonder why he doesn't look like Daddy? No obviously. Instead in our family we celebrate differences. Literally telling DS he is so special to have red hair and blue eyes
But I was wrong in a point above- DS1 did notice he and dad were different when he was about 4yo when he exclaimed that daddy had a piggy penis and he had an elephant one! It was very funny and never an issue.

Approximately 75% of men in the world are intact. Circumcision is becoming less and less common in America and most medically evolved nations do not even offer male circumcision and think it's cruel.
I think it's a cultural thing and even in the last 15 years I have seen it personally become less and less common.
"circumcision does not prevent HIV or other diseases.Over the years, the claims that circumcision prevents various diseases have repeatedly been proven to be exaggerated or outright fabrications. Most men in the United States are circumcised, but our STD rates are as high as or higher than those in countries where circumcision is rare."

Odd are if your child later is at risk or STDs they will end up with one. I think our energy is better spent with educating our children on responsible choices rather than a cosmetic procedure that will minimally reduce the risk and poses risks of many other complications in an of itself.

Ah I swore I wouldn't even reply but I did. This is a hot button issue for a lot of people and most people have made up their minds. I honestly know some of what I say can offend a disagreeing mama and that isn't my intent. I am actually directing this at moms still trying to decide. I want both sides heard so I state my opinion. But I think I am done now... i don't think this thread is going to go anywhere positive so I am going to unsubscribe and walk away.

To all those still decided please educate yourself. Watch a video on the procedure. Make a choice- every part of your baby is YOUR baby and you were put on this earth to advocate for your child in every way. It's not always easy but it's worth it

July 24th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Raunchero's Avatar Happy as a Clam :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes09 View Post
Lucy, will you be my platonic life partner? I think I'm in love with you.
Ditto lucy

July 24th, 2014, 07:04 PM
neji's Avatar Veteran
I think we're going to have to fight over Lucy!
July 24th, 2014, 08:25 PM
I claimed Lucy first. Back off *****es!
neji likes this.

July 25th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Aeterna's Avatar Super Speshil
Ditto Lucy. Also, I think it's interesting how many "stories" of "gross" intact penises are shared once this topic comes up. Same stories, different year. Many years ago people spouted the same false and misinformation due to lack of evidence-based medicine and research.

Logic states that the vast majority of our fathers and grandfathers come from a generation where the circumcision rate was high, often 90+%. So that would mean the rate of intact men should be low for this generation of men. So it follows that there should not be SOOOO many intact penis horror stories. Statistically speaking, there shouldn't be so many people with stories of so and so's penis, their friend's uncle's cousin's intact penis that got infected.

C'mon, who are we fooling here? What man goes around talking about the nature of his penis, and who really shares these sort of stories willy nilly. So I tend to call BS on the bulk of these stories, as it's more than obvious they're used to validate people's preconceived notions and biases.

Fact is, the men who dealt with repeated infections did so because they often faced trauma from having their foreskin forcibly retracted by incompetent and ignorant medical caregivers. Forcibly retracting foreskin is a no-no. It is meant to retract on its own, but this was not a known practice 40, 50, 60+ years ago because the majority of caregivers did not have knowledge or experience with intact penises. And, really, there is nothing uber special about caring for one.

Until it retracts on its own there is nothing special that needs to be done. And once it can be retracted, again, it comes down to basic hygiene practices. Women have more nooks and cervices with their labia (minora and majora) and also have a foreskin (the hood), and yet, I assume, we don't have "issues" with our own hygiene.

And surely European men don't have issues with cleaning their penises, so why are American men so deficient in this basic practice? They're not. When there's proper, correct, information and education there is no deficiency or simply put, ignorance. Caring for an intact penis is not brain surgery, but many really make it out to be scary and dirty. The male foreskin serves a similar function as the female foreskin. It's a functional part of the human body. There's nothing to be scared of.
nyc_mama, BlueEyes09 and suzieqz like this.

Last edited by Aeterna; July 25th, 2014 at 05:45 PM.
July 26th, 2014, 06:48 AM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
I don't care about any of that stuff personally so there's no debate here about "medical issues" or cleanliness. We could go back & forth for days on that. I just think a cut pecker is a cute pecker.

No one has to argue or unsubscribe here. That's just silly. Lucy I hope you know you can say anything here. That is the point of our group. If we all had the same opinions and experiences then no one would learn anything. I think new mom's that come across our threads when googling their own questions probably find it very helpful to hear both sides. & it seems you have a lot of support on your side so I hope you continue to feel comfortable expressing how you feel. No matter what any of our opinions are on the matter, no one here is "right" or "wrong." It's just your opinion. & I think that's what we are all looking to share here

Like I said earlier, to each his own.. I have no judgement on anyone's decision one way or another. This is why we as mother's are all given our own choice to make for our own children. No one on the internet can make it for you. Don't worry. Their peckers are safe, girls.
ReaganorDean and jellis82 like this.

#1 #2 #3 ALL BOYS!!
July 26th, 2014, 07:22 AM
Veteran
Slipping in from Oct DDC: my husband is intact and the idea of circ scares him. So our to circ or not conversation was very short.

At one point, though, he did ask: how do they masterbate? I of course had no idea, lol, but ran the google search for him. But that question does bring up a part of the discussion I haven't seen on this thread yet.

The point being the foreskin is not some un-needed piece of anatomy. It serves a purpose. You get rid of it and you change the way the penis works during sex. Not a ton- mind you- but a bit.

As to the how: I'll direct you all to google and this video called "Circumcision: the whole story." (some images on the vid but nothing super graphic- but still not safe for work.)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAXantm4tE
nyc_mama likes this.
July 26th, 2014, 07:29 AM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Absolutely, everyone can toot their own horn so to speak. We all have reasons we feel how we feel. There are ups and downs to all penises (or peni?). Pun intended.
BABY3. likes this.
July 26th, 2014, 07:38 AM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
Peni. HAHA that's great.

#1 #2 #3 ALL BOYS!!
July 26th, 2014, 08:30 AM
For those of you that are arguing that it looks better, what would you think of your husband wanting to give your daughter breast implants because she would be more attractive that way?

It's the same thing. We shouldn't be altering the way our children look, for all we know they would be very happy with their appearance. After all, it's up to us to make our children feel secure and loved. If we are cutting off over half of the skin on their penis and the majority of their pleasurable nerve endings at birth that's not teaching them to love them self. That's teaching them to do what others feel is right for them.

Penis modifications, for looks, for infants? I'm sorry, but it's not my body, I'd never touch it.
nyc_mama and suzieqz like this.

July 26th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie123 View Post
Slipping in from Oct DDC: my husband is intact and the idea of circ scares him. So our to circ or not conversation was very short.

At one point, though, he did ask: how do they masterbate? I of course had no idea, lol, but ran the google search for him. But that question does bring up a part of the discussion I haven't seen on this thread yet.

The point being the foreskin is not some un-needed piece of anatomy. It serves a purpose. You get rid of it and you change the way the penis works during sex. Not a ton- mind you- but a bit.

As to the how: I'll direct you all to google and this video called "Circumcision: the whole story." (some images on the vid but nothing super graphic- but still not safe for work.)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAXantm4tE

I actually would like to argue that when you cut it you do change the way it works, quite a ton. You go from a smooth gliding motion to one that has lots of unpleasant, unnatural friction. Many times women think that it's their fault their guy can't stay up or because of early ejaculation, but those are due to the lack of sensitivity because the entire anatomy of the penis has been altered.

Not only does it make sex for the man different, it makes it different for the woman. At this point she's the sole one responsible for lubrication (cause that gliding motion is gone, and the head of the penis is no longer soft like the internal organ it should be), so when we need lubes it's always because the woman isn't wet enough. Then there's the idea that the foreskin isn't there to actively stimulate the g spot, again, making sex very uncomfortable for some women.

Person, having been with both, uncut feels better. And I'm sorry, a penis is a penis, it looks like a penis. Nobody ever said a penis was good looking. Genitalia is just not the most attractive body parts out there. If they can't look good, they might as well function properly!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search