Log In Sign Up

Circumcision


Forum: Due Date Club of November 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree61Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of November 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #41  
July 26th, 2014, 08:31 AM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 826
Quote:
I just think a cut pecker is a cute pecker.
I find this mildly disturbing, and it has been said in various ways by a few different people in this thread. My comments are NOT directed at the person who made this particular comment, the same sentiment has been said by multiple people.

You are willing to perform cosmetic surgery on an infant because YOU think it LOOKS better. I'm assuming you have your infant girl's labia trimmed as well? Because smaller labia also have a smoother/cleaner look?


It's also entirely culturally based, and should your son decide to live in almost any other country in the world, his penis will not be considered "cute" it will be considered odd. Our global culture is getting smaller and smaller, the decision to permanently alter your child's anatomy so he "fits in" actually makes him stand out almost everywhere else.


If there were any actual health benefits to circumcision, then whatever disease that they claim it is warding off would be rampant in most every country in Europe because most of the circumcision rates are less than ten percent. Some of the studies that have been used compare disease rates in Africa to rates in the US. I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure that the standards of health care and living are a "little" different between the two.


I've also read a number of studies that claim that there is no difference between before and after. I'm not buying it. First, those studies are based on self reporting, and what man is going to say "I had a foreskin and decided to cut it off, and now my sex life is worse than it was before." All studies that rely on self-reporting are inherently flawed. The other problem is the number of men who have elective circumcisions is almost statistically insignificant, so using a sub set of a tiny subset isn't exactly sound data collection.


The head of the penis is supposed to be kept protected and moist, just like the inner labia. When it is exposed and dry, the sensitivity changes. When there is constant contact, instead of protection, sensitivity decreases. That is true for every body part, why would it be different for the penis?


I have a friend who chose to circumcise both of her sons. She's anti-spank, anti-any physical punishment, very much an "attachment parent", caters to their every whim and need... but chose to remove a fairly large portion of the most sensitive part of their anatomy at a day old. I honestly don't understand that contradiction.


As an adult, my son may choose to have his foreskin removed. That will be his choice to make, and I will support him in that decision. I will not make it for him.
BlueEyes09 likes this.
__________________
--Michelle

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
Reply With Quote
  #42  
July 26th, 2014, 02:28 PM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleH View Post
You are willing to perform cosmetic surgery on an infant because YOU think it LOOKS better. I'm assuming you have your infant girl's labia trimmed as well? Because smaller labia also have a smoother/cleaner look?
This is actually something that is becoming more and more popular for adult women these days. I can't say that if I didn't have a big cheeseburger that I wouldn't want it to look a little nicer. I've never really had to research that particular surgery so I can't really comment on it. Plus I only have boy children.. so no worries.




Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes09 View Post
For those of you that are arguing that it looks better, what would you think of your husband wanting to give your daughter breast implants because she would be more attractive that way?
Well now that's just silly. Shopping for onesies would be next to impossible. I'd wait until she was 18.






Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes09 View Post
Penis modifications, for looks, for infants? I'm sorry, but it's not my body, I'd never touch it.



And I do appreciate the way you feel and the decisions you make for your own family. I have not suggested in any means at any time that you should alter your decision in any way. This is how I was raised. This is how I choose to raise my son. The original question was asked "If you are having a boy (or if you end up with one) are you planning to circumcise? Why? Why not?" I was just simply stating my opinion. Now what is common in one area of the country or even each state may not be common in another. We are a whole globe full of different types of people with different choices. This is the norm here in my area. Even my doctor recommends it. Within my circle of friends and family and my husband's family we have all chosen to go this route and I don't have any hesitations. But thank you for all your responses. & I respect your opinions and the data you share for those women here searching for a decision. I wasn't here to debate or be rude. My mind has been made. Thanks
MadMay, kixsgc and jellis82 like this.
__________________



it's a BOY!!

Reply With Quote
  #43  
July 26th, 2014, 02:39 PM
kixsgc's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 295
I think this whole thread is ridiculous. We were asked our opinions and now people are being attacked based on those opinions.

What you choose to do with your children is your business, it's a choice that you as a parent make, just like any other decision in their tiny little life, you choose what is right for your family and YOU and YOUR PARTNER are the only ones who should have a say in ANYTHING that you do.

Did anyone honestly think this wouldn't turn into a heated argument? It's such a controversial issue. This thread needs to end.
jellis82 likes this.
__________________
Jordan (29) DH (31)
Autumn 03.16.07
Jackson 07.10.09
7.26.13

Our Rainbow baby <3
Henry David - EDD- 11.18.14

Reply With Quote
  #44  
July 26th, 2014, 03:07 PM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,037
There's no need to shut this thread down. Everyone needs to see all sides. If it hadn't been for my last DDC having this very same discussion I would of never researched it. I would of never watched a video. I would of never learned how important the foreskin is to the penis. I would never of explored looking at breaking the cycle of circ in my family. I'm so very thankful for the brave women in that last group that stood up and told the very hard, and sometimes gruesome facts.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #45  
July 26th, 2014, 03:09 PM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 826
I don't think anyone has been rude. There is nothing wrong with strong opinions presented respectfully. No one has called names, been nasty or been personal.

My mind isn't changed, but some posts did bring up points I hadn't thought of... On both sides.

I started the thread so that people could give opinions on both sides so that people on the fence might get info that they didn't already have.

Thanks for keeping it civil, even if it is passionate. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BABY3. View Post
Well now that's just silly. Shopping for onesies would be next to impossible. I'd wait until she was 18.
LOL

Touché
BABY3. likes this.
__________________
--Michelle

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography

Last edited by michelleH; July 27th, 2014 at 03:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
August 9th, 2014, 12:13 PM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 826
There is no difference between it being performed in the hospital nursery or in an office in the back of Labor & Delivery.

Neither location is remotely sterile. Both locations are inappropriate for an operation.

Pain medication is not required, and not frequently used.

I know the person who told me this quite well and have no reason to assume she is lying.
__________________
--Michelle

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
Reply With Quote
  #49  
August 9th, 2014, 02:24 PM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasL View Post
All I know is if it was me in that position I would have probably lost my job because I probably would have caused a scene and berated the staff involved in the procedure. Not so much because they were doing it but the way they were doing it.
It's "standard procedure." Personally, I find it a bit disturbing that a parent who wanted the procedure done wouldn't insist on 1. being there and 2. that pain relief was applied and had taken effect before any cutting was done.
__________________
--Michelle

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
Reply With Quote
  #51  
August 10th, 2014, 06:33 PM
nyc_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,934
I have been in two other PRs and this is the most civil circ thread I have read. It's funny because my European girlfriends all prefer uncirc'd men. They were shocked to hear that circ is common in the US. I personally love the way a god given, uncirc'd penis looks.

I gave in to DH and let our son be circ'd and I wouldn't do it again. We did it at our OBs office when Ryan was a week old. I had no idea no anesthetic was used. I wasnt in the room but DH was, and said the instrument used to rip the foreskin away and cut it looked really barbaric. Ryan screamed and screamed and I could tell he was in bad pain, he was shaking when he was handed back to me. I felt like the worst mother ever. Then whenever he would pee and when he was changed he would wince in pain. I almost cried every time changing him. I wouldn't do it again but DH would probably fight me about it tooth and nail if this baby was a boy and not a girl.


On the flip side, my brother was not circ'd and was teased in the locker room and had some girls he was intimate with call his penis ugly for not being circ'd. It amazes me how ignorant people can be about a part of the body that is completely natural and god given. Anyway, he was mad at my mom for not circ'ing him because of that. My hope is that less and less people will circ so this idea that the way men look with foreskin of being ugly, dies out.


Anyway, that's my experience since the thread asked for people's experiences. I really do see both sides, and was anti circ all along but did end up giving into DH with my first son. I know it's a really hard decision all around.
michelleH likes this.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #53  
August 11th, 2014, 01:55 PM
MandyRS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 2,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_mama View Post
My hope is that less and less people will circ so this idea that the way men look with foreskin of being ugly, dies out.
Then this article is good news, on that front. Circumcision Rates Fall to 33 Percent | Kids Are People


I agree with you. Cultural ideals of beauty are so odd, and never seem to make any sense when looked at from some distance. There are some arguments on the pro-circ side that I understand, even if I disagree, but the looks issue is not one of them.
BlueEyes09 likes this.
__________________
IT'S A BOY!!!!



THANK YOU to *Sharon* for my perfect siggy.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0