How many outfits are really needed?

Forum: Due Date Club of November 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BeckyandLincoln
  • 1 Post By michelleH
  • 1 Post By Angelamomtomany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of November 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2014, 08:44 AM
neji's Avatar Veteran
I would like to do laundry once a week. For clothes that is. Since we will be doing cloth diapers I'll have to do diaper laundry more often. The lists of needed clothing that I've found just seem so small. I can't imagine this amount of clothing lasting more than a couple of days. For people who have been through this. How much of everything did you really need? Is hoping to do laundry once a week not realistic? Here is an example list I've found. They're all about the same. One-piece outfits (5 to 7): Some of these are basically spiffed-up jammies appropriate for sleeping and playing – and because babies nap so frequently, especially at first, these are very convenient.
Shirts (4 to 7): Look for T-shirts and turtlenecks with plenty of room in the neck, or snaps at the neck, so they slip easily over your child's head. Many parents prefer one-piece styles that snap at the crotch.
Leggings or pull-on pants (5 to 7): Separates allow you to change one piece of dirty clothing without assembling a whole new outfit, so they're useful to have. Look for stretchy waistbands that fit easily over your baby's diaper and belly – and expand as he gains weight.
Sweater or jacket (1): Most babies don't like having clothes pulled over their head, so warm up your baby with a sweater or jacket that buttons down the front.
Pajamas or sleepers (4 to 7): No matter how cute it looks, avoid sleepwear that has complicated snaps or requires lots of effort to get on or off!
Wearable blankets (2 to 3): These fleece or cotton sacks zip over your baby's sleepwear to keep him warm at night. They replace traditional blankets, which aren't safe for sleeping babies because of the risk of SIDS. You may or may not need these, depending on the climate you live in and the season when your baby's born.
Fleecewear or snowsuits: If you have a winter baby, you may want a one-piece fleece suit to keep him warm on outings. They're often hooded and come in many styles. Another option is to avoid bulky snowsuits and slip your baby into a snug, fleece-lined stroller sack (designed to accommodate the harnesses in strollers and car seats).
Socks and booties: You'll need lots of socks for indoors and some booties to keep your baby's feet warm when you're out and about.
Hats (1 to 3): You'll want a broad-brimmed hat for a summer baby, or a soft, warm hat that covers the ears for a winter baby.
July 26th, 2014, 10:28 AM
lizbitz16's Avatar Veteran
Wow I've never seen a list before for clothes. I'm also interested what is truly necessary, help us out moms!

July 26th, 2014, 10:36 AM
Regular
We also dont want to do laundry more than once a week or so since we have to pay every time we do it, id say its good to have at least 3 outfits a day just incase theres any accidents, may not need that many. Ive always thought lists sound like not enough as well.
BABY3. likes this.
July 26th, 2014, 10:45 AM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm not a mom, but just figure it out based on math...

According to a few websites I found, expect to change 6-10 diapers a day for the first three months for a breastfed baby. So on the low end, that's 42 diapers a week. If half of them include complete clothing changes, you need 21 outfits. Figure in spit up or other changes once a day, and you're up to 28.

I think the idea of washing clothes (not counting diapers) once a week is probably not realistic. I'd say at least twice is more likely, especially because depending on what's on them they may start to stink, get mildew, etc.

My sisters - 6 kids betweens them - both said the easiest thing to do is use onsies / sleepers for the first month or two. It's easier and they don't move around on their own for a while, so it's practical as well.
BABY3. likes this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
July 26th, 2014, 02:42 PM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
I absolutely agree with what has been said already. Plan for at least 3-4 outfits a day at the beginning. I only like to do laundry once a week so I totally went overboard on buying clothes. ..& now being our third planned baby in a row (so I didn't get rid of anything between kids) AND being the third boy in a row.. HAHAA.. I have like 30 onesies in each size (0-12mo). & Probably at least 10-15 sleepers & pj sets in each size, 10 pairs of pants (which when it's cold I like to put on before the onesie so I could clip them in place), and a bajillion little baby blankets because my kids have loved to be swaddled and those blankets get soiled all day.. you'll want to change them out a bunch. ..but like I said.. I may have gone overboard. Haha!! I just figured I'd rather have MORE than enough than less. Especially when those super cute Carter's 5-pack onesies would be on sale for like $9.99.. Ahhhhh! How can you resist?! LOL

Now I can't comment on the diaper laundry as we use disposables but I can't imagine leaving THAT many dirty diapers around for a whole week is a good idea. I can imagine you'd want to do that at least every few days..? ..but again.. I have no experience there.

it's a BOY!!

July 26th, 2014, 04:24 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I am laughing at the laundry once a week thing! I remember those days! LOL I have to do two a DAY to keep on top of things but the washers here are TINY!!

If you plan to bf there will be 'blow outs' up the back need new outfit needed. I usually keep my tiny ones in the sleep and play type. No tops and bottoms to deal with. I like the ones with feet so no socks to lose or keep on. I do like the long night gowns for sleeping as you can change them in their sleep when you get slick enough.

I get 5-7 onsie type body suits and also 5-7 sleepy suits, for both NB and 0-3 months. I only start with 'outfits' when we get to the 3-6 m.

The little hats I only use the first couple days.

I like to have a fleece bunting for my walks.

You only need one or two sleep sacks if your going to use them.

Whatever you think you need divide it in HALF!! When I look at some of the 'suggested' baby registries I find it slightly reductions! Of course a STORE will tell you to buy MORE than you need.

So talk to your girlfriends to find out what you REALLY need.

A nice trick for socks ladies even if you have a little boy! Buy thick tights and layer under pants. This keeps them very warm outside AND if you want matching socks the socks stick to the feet of the tights.

July 26th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Angelamomtomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get a ton of footie jammies. Like a dozen (more if you have a spitter). Most of the time I keep baby in jammies at home and if we leave the house I will put him in one of his "mommy is showing me off" adorable outfits.
NYCgirl likes this.

July 27th, 2014, 05:49 AM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
Haha! ^ Yes! Totally Angela. We just hang out in comfy clothes those first couple months. I don't start dressing them up for a while. However I may get a cute little Thanksgiving outfit for him since we will be around a lot of family but aside from that & Christmas (which I have a TON of little baby 1st Christmas clothes left over) I can't see many times we'll need to get all dolled up in those early months.

If you are having a baby shower I noticed at mine and others we have been to that most people buy all "Newborn" and "0-3mo" sizes. If you are wanting to buy things now I would start at "3-6mo" and up.. That way you aren't overloaded in one size. & of course it's always better to have bigger than smaller. They grow fast! I find 3-6mo, 9mo, & 18mo sizes we stayed in for longer periods of time.

it's a BOY!!

July 27th, 2014, 06:41 AM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it depends on your situation. For us washing once a day or every other day works well, but we're in a house. I think for an apartment, or other situation where you don't have laundry in house, I would do it every two days.

For the reasons listed above, diaper blowouts etc, your baby's laundry is going to get stinky.

Doing cloth diapers was never a realistic option for me as both our children will be in daycare. I would think you would want to do that once a day though. That's just the type of dirty laundry you probably won't want sitting around.

My advice is to take any hand me down clothes from anyone that wants to give them to you. You will use them, as well as the new stuff.

If you're going to do wash less than every couple days, I would suggest thoroughly rinsing any clothes that have been soiled...imo though, by the time you get done doing that, you might as well be washing them.

You'll be fine. A lot of this is trial and error to see what works for your family.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search