Brother and sister sharing a room

Forum: Due Date Club of November 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jrchubbycheeks
  • 1 Post By NYCgirl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of November 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2014, 05:16 PM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What are your views on views on opposite sex children sharing a room?

Okay to start? How long? Rules?

At the moment the way we have our house set up my girls bed, and her old crib are currently set up in one room and all of her toys and my sewing station are set up in the larger bedroom. Personally, I really like the set up. It gives her a room solely dedicated to sleeping. I also think for #2's first few years it will be an okay set up. I just question how long it will last and wanted a little bit of feedback. I was lucky to never have shared a room as a kid so I don't even know how sharing would have an impact at all.

July 26th, 2014, 06:37 PM
Veteran
I have a boys room and a girls room.

I don't have a problem with opposite sex sharing a room unless they have a problem with it. Mine seem to start wanting more privacy around 9 years old or so.

My kids like sharing a room. My 8 year old still asks to sleep in her brothers' room because her and the 6 year old are good buddies so I let them dog pile in there sometimes if they want to.
~*Kixs*~ and BABY3. like this.

Joy, wife to Glen, mother to 13 year old Sanura, 10 year old Adrian, 8 year old Nevaeh, 6 year old Lincoln, 1 year old Charlotte, and new addition: Harper Ellen coming around Thanksgiving!
July 26th, 2014, 06:48 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
We have a boys room and a girls room as well.

However my three youngest, 4 yo dd, 2 yo ds, and (almost) 1yo dd share the other side of our room. My 4 yo dd will be joining her older sisters when baby arrives.

IMO, once they reach school age they should be separated, but before that its no big deal.
#12 is on the way
July 26th, 2014, 07:29 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it depends on the family's personal preference and sleeping arrangements from early on.

Sharing a room in general would not work well for our daughter. She would not even co sleep well with us as a baby. She likes her own space, and does not even want our cats in with her when she's sleeping.

We've moved her over to our larger bedroom, and baby Rory will have her old room.

I think for families that do cosleep at least into toddler age, this arrangement would not be in the least odd until the child hits school age. I agree with Jenifer.

I definetly think you don't want opposite sex children hitting puberty in the same bedroom together. At that point, they will most definetly need their space.
July 26th, 2014, 07:33 PM
lizbitz16's Avatar Super Mommy
As long as they're young I think its fine. I shared a room with my little brother. I was 6-7 and he was 1-2. I didn't think anything of it. I had a bunk bed/desk combo which was my space, and he had his crib. And we turned out great! I'm actually closest to that brother out of all my siblings.

July 26th, 2014, 07:35 PM
destiny2000's Avatar Super Mommy
My kids all shared a room as well, boys on one bunk bed, girls on another, they did that for a little over a year, none of them had an issue with it and still camp out together sometimes
July 27th, 2014, 04:08 AM
kixsgc's Avatar Veteran
Check laws in your state- In Connecticut, once your children hit school age they can no longer share a room with the opposite sex. I'm sure there's a lot of people who don't follow that rule, and I think most of the time it's personal preference.

Mine shared a room until my daughter started 1st grade and then we separated them.

Our Rainbow baby <3
Henry David - EDD- 11.18.14

July 27th, 2014, 05:56 AM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
I shared a room with my older brother for many years! I don't see a problem with it at all. I think when he was about 11 we finally split up. We were best buds! I say go for it! ..& if you find it doesn't work well then you always know you can split the rooms later if need be.

#3 it's a BOY!!

July 27th, 2014, 07:25 AM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh, I'm happy to hear successful room sharing experiences. We are in a 3 br and the kid's bedroom is significantly smaller than the other two bedrooms. Even if we did move one into the larger room it would be primarily for the point of them not sleeping in the same room, which seems silly to me. After all, a whole lot of nothing happens when both kids are asleep...theoretically. We still wouldn't have space in the smaller room for toys or extras. It's just a smallllllll room.

July 27th, 2014, 10:53 AM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Personally it will not be an 'issue' in our house until puberty. Once the child shows signs of expressing the need for 'privacy'.

We have all been open with nudity and talk freely using the proper terms for male and female sex organs. There is not need to hide. We follow the lead of the child. Once they show signs of wanting to cover up then we respect them by covering ourselves. It is important to us that there is no same or guilt associated with the human body.

That said we do respect the need for new found independence and privacy that comes with the onset of property.

So answer you question room sharing is not an issue. Little kids are little kids. No real need for the separation of the siblings based on their sex. We had our oldest three together for a few years.
michelleH likes this.

July 28th, 2014, 09:15 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DD has her own room and my boys share a room. But I don't know why we separate them b/c they are always asking to have sleepovers with each other We let them during the summer and on the weekends. Just not on school nights b/c they play too much and don't sleep LOL

I see no problem with younger children sharing a room. But like others said around puberty is when I would separate them. Or before then if one is asking for privacy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search