Breast Feeding vs Bottle Feeding

Forum: **NEW** November 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree38Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** November 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2014, 10:47 AM
WaitinginNJ's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never breastfed. My first 2 I was afraid I would suffocate them. My bra size was an H cup...yes H as in HOLY COW! With my youngest, I could not get him to latch on so the hospital bought in this breast pump and I tried it. It was so painful lol, my uterus contracted so much (TMI) I was sitting in a pool of my own blood. I thought I would give it a try again. See what happens. I figured I could pump and put in the bottle if the baby does not latch on. That is of course if I can stand the pain!

What are your plans?

RIP Julianna Rose-Marie Tyreesa
June 6, 2014

My Ovulation Chart

My Ovulation Chart
April 18th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Jennyt13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Exclusively pumping is hard! I hope your baby is able to latch on so you don't have to go through that!

I'll likely do the same I did with my first. I didn't EBF - when he was born, he nursed right away, and I thought he was doing pretty well, although it hurt like he!! - he started getting jaundice, and they recommended supplementing. I do now know that this is pretty common (jaundice) and I could have pushed through it and gotten his levels up on my own. But - I supplemented, and tried to start pumping. Worked out well, so I BF, pumped, and supplemented.

Worked out great for this working mama!
Rebelmommy and WaitinginNJ like this.

Michael Joseph Born 1/14/11 at 2:46pm
Baby Christian - born into heaven at 22 weeks gestation - 7/14/12

Starting IVF/PGD - September 2012
47 eggs retrieved (OUCH!)
38 eggs mature
26 eggs fertilized
10 embryos biopsied
3 embryos - 2 boys, 1 girl are waiting to be transferred - transferring 1 boy 1 girl on first FET!!!

2/12/13 - FET - Cancelled due to fluid in the uterus
2/20/13 - Hysteroscopy scheduled - 1 polyp removed.

4/10/13 - FET - 2 embies transferred as planned! 1 boy 1 girl!
4/22/13 - Trying to wait to test - Beta scheduled!! -
7/31/13 - FET - 1 embie transferred - 1 boy
8/7/13 - 7dp5dt - - but very light
8/9/13 - 9dp5dt - - no mistaking this one!
8/12/13 - 1st Beta scheduled - 64
8/14/13 - 2nd Beta scheduled - only 10
03/03/14 - FET #3 - 1 embie transferred - 1 girl
3/11/14 - FAINT BFP
3/13/14 - HCG only 20.2
3/17/14 - HCG rose to 151!!!
3/20/14 - HCG rose again - 630! Nurse was in shock!
3/27/14 - Ultrasound scheduled - HB Found! 6w1d 124bpm
4/3/14 - Second Ultrasound - Still doing well!
4/14/14 - First OB appointment - looking good!
April 18th, 2014, 11:00 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hope to breastfeed again. I was able to with my other kids even though I worked fulltime with the older 2 and had to pump.

Sorry you had such a tough time with it. Honestly those first few weeks are tough! It is such a learning curve with each baby. But once you all find your rhythm it gets so much easier. Have you ever seen a Lactation Consultant? They are so awesome and so helpful! Even just trying a different hold can help baby latch so much easier and make life so much more pleasant.
WaitinginNJ likes this.

April 18th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I never have! I think it was an awkward position because I did have a breast reduction and my (TMI SORRY) nipples are like DEAD CENTER of my breasts. I remember there was a nurse lol and I remember thinking maybe I am not pumping enough because of the reduction and this is all that will come out? I just wanted to experience it.

June 6, 2014

My Ovulation Chart

My Ovulation Chart
April 18th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran
I breastfeed.

Those first weeks are so hard for me but worth it in the end.
WaitinginNJ likes this.

Joy, wife to Glen, mother to 13 year old Sanura, 10 year old Adrian, 8 year old Nevaeh, 6 year old Lincoln, 1 year old Charlotte, and new addition: Harper Ellen coming around Thanksgiving!
April 18th, 2014, 11:06 AM
MommyOf22014's Avatar Sarah
I didn't BF my DS because he couldn't latch and my milk dried up. With DD I breast fed for a week, but she was like a vampire. I ended up so cutt up I couldnt BF, so I pumped for another week. But then blood would get into the milk from my cuts. I stopped and gave her formula. It wasn't working out. This time I'm planning on BF for at least two weeks then exclusively pump.

April 18th, 2014, 11:06 AM
BlueEyes09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm also rather large (34I) and I promise you, you will not smother your child. I nursed Naomi for 2.5 years and I plan to nurse this one at least 2 years as well. I don't respond well to a pump so I doubt I'll pump at all.
michelleH likes this.

April 18th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Did anyone see The Wall Street Journal article about why breastfeeding is so difficult? 5 Reasons American Women Won’t Breastfeed - Five Things - WSJ

To sum it up, women receive no support!

Don't let people convince you that you can't do this. Don't fall for those boobie-traps! You ladies CAN DO THIS! When our babies are born please, if you have any questions ask away. I'd love to help each and everyone of you out if you need it. I'm on your team. The reality is less than 1% of women don't produce enough milk, but with the way hospitals push formula it's very easy to feel like you can't do this with out supplementation. Formula companies are doing a great job ensuring they get customers from day 1. Remember, a formula company is a business, they don't care about your breastfeeding success, they care that you fail. They want you to fail. But know that you won't fail. Your body was made to do this

April 18th, 2014, 11:23 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This time ask for a LC while you are in the hospital. Most larger hospitals have them on staff and they routinely see the PP moms.

I am larger too...a DD-DDD and you will not suffocate the baby. PROMISE! For me the football hold was so much easier then the normal hold where baby is cradled in your arms.

Here are some holds from the Mayo Clinic. It is a good illustration of of the different ways to feed baby.
Slide show: Breast-feeding positions - Mayo Clinic
WaitinginNJ likes this.

April 18th, 2014, 12:29 PM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm a FF... and I've gone up two cup sizes already and I'm only 10 weeks in, so though my husband thinks this is great, I'm not so enthused.

As others have said, formula companies are in it for the money and nothing else. They do not have your, or your baby's, best interests in mind. Yes, for some people formula is a necessary thing, but for most it's not necessary, it's either convenient or the women aren't getting the help and support that they need.

Most formulas are soy based, and full of plant estrogens. If you have to go formula for whatever reason, you should definitely take the time to seek out non-soy formulas. The estimate is that formula gives the baby the equivalent of more than one birth control pill worth of estrogen a day. Not to mention all of the natural, healthy things that your body puts in breast milk. Your baby was made to eat one thing and one thing only - breast milk.

If you can't breastfeed, you might look into a milk bank instead.
WaitinginNJ likes this.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
April 18th, 2014, 12:35 PM
KellJoO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to try my best for BFing.

I know that sometimes it just doesn't work out, I was one of those babies. Didn't respond well to it. I will have to go back to work after 8-12 weeks though so I will have to pump as well.
MommyOf22014 likes this.
Cautiously Expecting #1

IT'S A GIRL!!!

One Angel in Heaven lost @ 6Weeks 2/7/2013
April 18th, 2014, 03:10 PM
BSandDsMommy's Avatar Mommy to three boys
I only lasted a month with my older two before my milk dried up, I was determined to bf my 3rd, and was able to and he weaned himself at 15months. I plan to bf this one also

Baby girl due Dec. 2014

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 18th, 2014, 04:07 PM
destiny2000's Avatar Super Mommy
I exclusively bf my older three, I was too stressed with my third and ended up bottle feeding after a couple weeks, my last I was on too many meds for ppd and couldn't bf because of the risks to him. I will try to bf but I have no problems bottle feeding if I need to. All my babies were healthy and happy either way
April 18th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Petuniababoon's Avatar Super Mommy
I made some mistakes with my first that I won't repeat this time around. She wouldn't latch on in the hospital, even with the help of 4 different lactation consultants. They finally told me I would need nipple shields to get her to latch, but didn't have any at the hospital, so I had to buy some after we got home. I pumped the whole time I was in the hospital, but didn't make enough colostrum to satisfy her, so we supplemented with formula for the first few days. I really feel like that hurt my supply in the long run. She did latch once I had nipple shields, and I was able to pump enough milk after feedings to keep her off formula for a couple of months. But then I made another mistake and went on a trip with her when she was just a couple of months old. I pumped and bottle fed the entire trip because it was easier, and by the time the trip was over, she wouldn't latch at all anymore, even with the nipple shields. I exclusively pumped for 3 more months, but gradually my supply just dwindled away and we had to supplement more and more with formula until that was all she had. This time I am determined to do things differently from day one.

Sara

April 18th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Thank you for the helpful tips! I really want to try and not wimp out because my uterus contracts lol I imagine that happens for everyone? I was just in shock over the pain lol. I was like WHAT??? This is as bad as labor lol!

June 6, 2014

My Ovulation Chart

My Ovulation Chart
April 18th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Petuniababoon's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh yeah, the uterine contractions are killer! And they get worse with every subsequent pregnancy, I've been told. But they are necessary, and BFing helps everything get back into shape down there.

Sara

April 18th, 2014, 06:24 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I exclusively bf all my children. With my eldest I went back to work when he was 4 months and I just pumped. He only had ebm in a bottle.

BF'ing is not for everyone BUT if you want to try, GO FOR IT!! You need support and education. Lots of people say how easy it is and I fear that turns some women off who 'tried' and it was too hard. It is HARD and it is OK. You can do it!

If you can make it 4 weeks you are golden!

Hospitals have lactation consultants on staff now. If you are thinking about BF'ing get her into your room asap (after baby comes). It can be hard without support and people questioning you 'did the baby get enough milk' 'how do you know?' This is not helpful. Baby does not need much to start.

April 18th, 2014, 07:40 PM
Veteran
I'm going to try to BF more with this one. The hospital I had DS at didn't have a real lactation consultant...she was a nurse who told me how to hold him and that was it. This hospital have multiple 24/7 which is good. Plus, I actually found an affordable pump. I did alright with DS, but we were dirt poor (hamburger helper on good days poor) and my milk turned from a creamy milk color to a watery grey color when he was about 3/4 months. Even with WIC I couldn't eat enough or afford the right things, so I switched our plan to formula....the curse of having a high metabolism.
April 18th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Speaking of pumps, your insurance or WIC bf counselor should be able to provide you an electric one at little to no cost.
WaitinginNJ and michelleH like this.

April 18th, 2014, 09:00 PM
Veteran
I've breast fed all my kids so far. Advice I would have is to see a lactation consultant for troubles. I've used a nipple shield a few times for a few weeks to let things heal and it was a life saver. It can also hurt really bad if you have yeast on your nipples.(Easy to treat, if you figure it out and treat it!) Yes, contractions while breastfeeding hurt worse with each child, in my experience. But it's for our own good. And just for a day or 2.
I plan to breastfeed this baby too. I don't have a problem with formula though. There's absolutely no difference when they are older.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search