Log In Sign Up

First glass pregnant wine...


Forum: **NEW** November 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree23Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** November 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
April 28th, 2014, 05:04 PM
lizbitz16's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 538
Anyone else indulge yet? I know drinking and pregnancy is not suggested, but I've also read one glass every now and then is harmless. Had a cruddy day, felt today was the best day to have my first.

A few sips later, poured it down the drain...don't feel comfortable enough.
MommyOf22014 likes this.
__________________
Our first little Peanut!

Reply With Quote
  #2  
April 28th, 2014, 05:09 PM
KellJoO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 3,960
I have a bottle in the fridge- I might have to have a couple sips tonight but I don't know how I will do with it. It sounds really good but I'm have a feeling I might do the same as you.

How many ounces do they say? I can't remember
__________________
Kelley
Cautiously Expecting #1

IT'S A GIRL!!!

One Angel in Heaven lost @ 6Weeks 2/7/2013
Reply With Quote
  #3  
April 28th, 2014, 05:24 PM
lizbitz16's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 538
Not sure the ounces amount. I always have half a glass anyway, which is what I poured this time. But really just had a few sips.
__________________
Our first little Peanut!

Reply With Quote
  #4  
April 28th, 2014, 06:54 PM
jellis82's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 779
I have not had any alcohol. I did, however, have a non-alcoholic margarita last night. Mmmmm so yummy even without the alcohol.
~*Kixs*~ and TANYA11 like this.
__________________
Jennifer, wife to Manuel Jr., mommy to Jaely (7), Manuel III (2), and baby girl, Isabella Teresa, due November 2014.









Make a pregnancy ticker
Reply With Quote
  #5  
April 29th, 2014, 04:40 AM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 978
I wait.
__________________
Kelly
Mommy to Jack 11, Christopher 9, Kaitlyn 7, and
Ryan 18 months.





Reply With Quote
  #6  
April 29th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Regular
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Posts: 55
yeah, I wouldn't feel comfortable drinking at all to be honest. the thought of alcohol makes me very eiky,
Reply With Quote
  #7  
April 29th, 2014, 07:19 AM
And Baby Makes 3's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 586
I have never drank knowing I was pregnant. DH works at Budweiser though so we always have ridiculous amount of alcohol at any giving moment. lol. I don't like wine, never have so drinking it will never be an option, pregnant or not. Although, I have been craving the taste of 5 hour energy. I thought there were caffeine free ones, but I can't find them anywhere. I drank one 5 hour energy every single day until I found out I was pregnant. I thought about having DH get one and me just take a drink of it, but I'm afraid that will just make my craving worse.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
April 29th, 2014, 07:41 AM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 912
A single serving of wine is four ounces. Most wine glasses are much much larger than that. I have not had any as of yet. I will when I want to have one, because I feel that the risks of four ounces of alcohol are far less than the risks of anxiety pills.
And Baby Makes 3 likes this.
__________________
--Michelle

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
Reply With Quote
  #9  
April 29th, 2014, 10:40 AM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Texas
Posts: 12,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellis82 View Post
I have not had any alcohol. I did, however, have a non-alcoholic margarita last night. Mmmmm so yummy even without the alcohol.
That sounds so good! I want a nice fruity frozen virgin drink

I typically do not drink when pregnant. It is just not something I feel comfortable with. But with my oldest I craved beer in the 3rd trimester and would steal sips of DH's. It was the best thing I have ever tasted! But it had to be dark beer and ICE COLD.
__________________








Reply With Quote
  #10  
April 29th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 245
I have had a few sips here and there to try a mixed drink my friends bought; nothing that actually counts by far. Unless you count my two non-alcoholic beers (.4% abv)...

I will def have a (very) weak mimosa or two once I hit the 2nd tri.
__________________
Meg & Ed (8/12/06)
Taylor & Avril (3/5/12)

Reply With Quote
  #11  
April 29th, 2014, 04:50 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,470
Wait?! What?! Your wine is pregnant! Congrats. When is the baby grape due?
lizbitz16, michelleH and mommesara like this.
__________________
Need a new ticker...
Reply With Quote
  #12  
April 29th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 107
I have taken child dicelopment classes and what I have learned is no amount of alcohol is safe. Even a little bit of dayquill can give ur child full blown fetal alcohol syndrome. Depending on how vulnerable your baby is. I know they say a glass of red wine is ok because the antioxidants are what make it ok but I still wouldn't trust it.
TANYA11 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
April 29th, 2014, 05:17 PM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassi0677 View Post
I have taken child dicelopment classes and what I have learned is no amount of alcohol is safe. Even a little bit of dayquill can give ur child full blown fetal alcohol syndrome. Depending on how vulnerable your baby is. I know they say a glass of red wine is ok because the antioxidants are what make it ok but I still wouldn't trust it.
Can you provide some backup to that statement? Controlled studies?

Because if that's accurate, my doctor - who told me that a single glass once or twice a week was not a problem - is in a world of you-know-what.
__________________
--Michelle

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
Reply With Quote
  #14  
April 29th, 2014, 05:42 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 107
I will have to see if I still have information from that class. Every doctor is different like my OB said no amount of alcohol is safe. But I'll look and let u know if I can find the research for u ladies
Reply With Quote
  #15  
April 29th, 2014, 08:27 PM
lizbitz16's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 538
Yikes, well now I'm terrified I screwed up my child...
__________________
Our first little Peanut!

Reply With Quote
  #16  
April 29th, 2014, 08:49 PM
Lucy S.'s Avatar POAS addict
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bay area CA
Posts: 6,047
The issues is that they really have no idea how much alcohol is safe because all studies have been mostly guesses. They don't want to cause FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome) to find out. But it is true- they have no idea how much is too much or how little is safe.
They speculate that small amounts are fine (small amt is debated depending on where you read) and that it shouldn't cause an issue unless there are underlying issues with mother that makes baby more susceptible.


I really think eventually there will be answers and a safe amount BUT The only way to be 100% sure your baby will not end up with FAS is not to drink at all- that's the only point that isn't debatable.



For me, I don't drink so it's moot


Quote:
Originally Posted by lizbitz16 View Post
Yikes, well now I'm terrified I screwed up my child...
I am sure it is fine!!!
And Baby Makes 3 and TANYA11 like this.
__________________
Lucy
Due with #3
10 IUIs= one confirmed /IVF= BFN / FET= / FET2= Baby!
My blog


Reply With Quote
  #17  
April 29th, 2014, 09:32 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,470
There are many cultures where it is customary to have a glass of wine with dinner, and I suspect that many women in these cultures continue that practice while pregnant. These studies have to be somewhat skewed, as it would be unethical to conduct a controlled study with minimal to even moderate amounts of alcohol intake.
I imagine many of the children that end up with FAS likely have it as a result of the mother's alcoholism, vs. a single 4 ounce glass of wine.
IMO, the only group any study is going to really be conclusive on is alcoholics. Of course woman who have not drunk at all during pregnancy are not going to have FAS...
I don't believe pregnant women should drink often, or ever for the goal of getting tipsy...but a single serving of alcohol on rare occasion, is probably very unlikely to cause harm.
Just my two cents, but it's probably more harmful to a baby to keep up a four coffee a day habit, than to have a glass of wine once a week....
__________________
Need a new ticker...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
April 30th, 2014, 07:49 AM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 912
Lucy and Reagan have it. There are no controlled studies. None. Not a single one. There can't be any studies because then the researchers would be intentionally causing birth defects.

Every FAS study out there relies on self reporting, and what mother is going to say "I went out binge drinking every weekend"?? Many people don't even know they are pregnant until they are 7 or 8 weeks along, and they carry on their normal drinking habits until then.
As stated, the only way to be 1,000 percent sure that your baby won't have FAS is to have no alcohol. But if one dose of Nyquil (25% alcohol by volume, so far less than a single serving of alcohol) can cause "full blown FAS" then every baby born in the 50's and 60's would have FAS because it was normal to drink (and smoke) during pregnancy!

Am I of the opinion that pregnant women should "go drink whatever they want"? No, of course not. However, there are entire cultures that drink lightly during pregnancy and if half an ounce of alcohol could cause full blown FAS, then there would be entire generations of children affected by the disease. And there aren't.


Like a lot of things in this country involving pregnancy, it's an all-or-none attitude. Like the listeria hysteria - you are just as likely to get listeria from your salad as from your sandwich. My friend's OB is Japanese, and he was surprised when she asked about eating sushi; according to her he said "why wouldn't you eat sushi?" Some doctors say not to worry about every little thing, some doctors have an iron clad list of "never ever ever touch these things, EVER."

What MOST important is that you make informed decisions that are best for you, so that you are comfortable with your safety and the safety of your baby.
__________________
--Michelle

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
Reply With Quote
  #19  
April 30th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassi0677 View Post
I have taken child dicelopment classes and what I have learned is no amount of alcohol is safe. Even a little bit of dayquill can give ur child full blown fetal alcohol syndrome. Depending on how vulnerable your baby is. I know they say a glass of red wine is ok because the antioxidants are what make it ok but I still wouldn't trust it.

Handling these cases before, I believe they have determined a time period when a fetus is more susceptible to FAS (and, like everything else if I remember correctly, it is in the ~6-10 weeks range). Plus, it seems to be the total number of drinks over pregnancy and not necessarily the amount in one time setting. Alcohol Risk to Fetus Is Highest at End of 1st Trimester | Fetal Alcohol Syndrome & Drinking During Pregnancy | LiveScience

Like I said before, if a little bit of dayquil can do it, all our kids would have FAS b\c fruit juices have .1% of alcohol in it and, I don't know about you, but I drink juice everyday.

Agreed that the only way to avoid it is not to have a single drink, but I don't think we need to all believe our kids will have FAS.
KellJoO and michelleH like this.
__________________
Meg & Ed (8/12/06)
Taylor & Avril (3/5/12)


Last edited by hopin2bpreggermeggers; April 30th, 2014 at 08:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
April 30th, 2014, 09:18 AM
And Baby Makes 3's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleH View Post
Lucy and Reagan have it. There are no controlled studies. None. Not a single one. There can't be any studies because then the researchers would be intentionally causing birth defects.

Every FAS study out there relies on self reporting, and what mother is going to say "I went out binge drinking every weekend"?? Many people don't even know they are pregnant until they are 7 or 8 weeks along, and they carry on their normal drinking habits until then.
As stated, the only way to be 1,000 percent sure that your baby won't have FAS is to have no alcohol. But if one dose of Nyquil (25% alcohol by volume, so far less than a single serving of alcohol) can cause "full blown FAS" then every baby born in the 50's and 60's would have FAS because it was normal to drink (and smoke) during pregnancy!

Am I of the opinion that pregnant women should "go drink whatever they want"? No, of course not. However, there are entire cultures that drink lightly during pregnancy and if half an ounce of alcohol could cause full blown FAS, then there would be entire generations of children affected by the disease. And there aren't.


Like a lot of things in this country involving pregnancy, it's an all-or-none attitude. Like the listeria hysteria - you are just as likely to get listeria from your salad as from your sandwich. My friend's OB is Japanese, and he was surprised when she asked about eating sushi; according to her he said "why wouldn't you eat sushi?" Some doctors say not to worry about every little thing, some doctors have an iron clad list of "never ever ever touch these things, EVER."

What MOST important is that you make informed decisions that are best for you, so that you are comfortable with your safety and the safety of your baby.








Very well said!!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:25 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0