Group B Strep

Forum: **NEW** November 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** November 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 10th, 2014, 08:03 AM
michelleH's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm very much on the fence with the GBS testing. I've read a lot of pros and cons of the testing and treatment, including the actual risks (meaning the statistical risks, not the "here's all the stuff that could happen on the off chance")

I'm interested in the decisions that you have made and why.

I can see both sides, and I'm wary of both honestly.

One angel baby - 1/22/14
Rainbow baby due 11/13/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
August 10th, 2014, 08:33 AM
jellis82's Avatar Super Mommy
I always have the GBS test done. Mostly because, what is it going to hurt being tested? Luckily I've never had it and don't expect to have it this time, but I would rather know so I can be treated. Even if the risks are low that my baby would have complications from it, I would hate myself if my baby was one of the few that did and I could have prevented it.
kixsgc likes this.

Make a pregnancy ticker
August 10th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Veteran
Well I had no idea what thus test was so I looked it up. And yes Im pretty sure I am going to do this test. I have already been having so many problems this pregnancy I would like to know and if I have it get it taken care of.
August 10th, 2014, 11:54 AM
My major worry is that you can test positive one week, and then negative few weeks later, but once you have a positive test there is apparently a major battle to end up hooked to an IV. Of course, once the IV is in, there are often restrictions on where you can go and what you can do. And, as always, one intervention very frequently leads to another and another and another...

There is a test that some hospitals / birth centers do that has results back in an hour and I'm going to ask about that at my next appointment. My thought on that is that I would know if I have an active infection or not, and would be able to deal appropriately at the time.

I'm also worried about the long term effects of extremely strong antibiotics because they wipe out all the good stuff as well as the bad stuff. This can lead to a bunch of other problems for me and the baby - yeast, ecoli, etc.

On the other hand, it can turn into a gigantic battle, and do I want to worry about that additional stress while I'm trying to have a baby?

I'm really really torn on this and what the best choice is.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

Affiliate Photographer for Now I Lay Me Down To Sleep - Infant Remembrance Photography
August 10th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Veteran
If u have a c section do u still have to do all the antibiotics? I am allergic to most antibiotics I'm allergic to 6 different types so the fact that they will have a hard time finding one that will help sucks. I just hope my daughter isn't allergic to them either.
August 10th, 2014, 12:06 PM
From my research, them giving it to women getting a c-section depends on the protocol at the location. Some yes, some no, some have a list of criteria.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

August 10th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Veteran
Well I will have to talk to ny doctor and see what she says about it.
August 10th, 2014, 12:56 PM
Rose
I will definitely be getting it done, but not for any really good reason. I'm pretty passive when it comes to medical stuff and I trust my doctor to make the right choices.
August 10th, 2014, 01:00 PM
ReaganorDean's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The problem with group B strep is that it is rather harmless and often symptomless in healthy adults.

The issue is for the baby. In severe cases if the baby contracts it he/she can end up with blood pressure, breathing issues, meningitis or sepsis....none of which anyone wants to see a newborn go through.

Of course not all babies will get sick if the mom has group B, however I personally would rather not take the chance.

The test is non invasive (IMO), so even if you decide not to go with the IV knowledge is power right?

Last time I tested negative for this, but we'll see this time. I did know one woman who tested positive and gave birth (epidural and otherwise drug free minus the antibiotics) in a birthing center. So it doesn't always necessarily need to lead to more interventions.
August 10th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Mmartin04's Avatar Veteran
Here's the thing....just because they test you for it at the time (around 37 weeks?) doesn't mean that you won't have it by the time of delivery. I learned from nursing school that if you refuse it during pregnancy, that (during labor) they will test you for it because of the problems it can cause baby. But if you accept during pregnancy and your results ARE negative, they will NOT retest you during labor. Just my two cents, if I were able to deliver vaginally, I would decline the testing so I would be tested at delivery.
August 10th, 2014, 03:47 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
During my last pregnancy I didn't allow the test during pregnancy, but did allow the rapid result test in labor because the hospital was threatening either myself or baby with antibiotics. I was already fighting them about a few other things, and those things were more important to me.

I am on the fence about this test, mainly due to the fact the results can be negative or positive one week, and the opposite the next. I haven't found any way to refuse the test though, avoid the antibiotics and not have to stay extra time for "observation" for the baby.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
August 10th, 2014, 03:51 PM
Quote:
I did know one woman who tested positive and gave birth (epidural and otherwise drug free minus the antibiotics) in a birthing center.
Statistically, every time they do something more than a test it raises the chances of them doing something else. IV's often lead to restricted movement (some - not all - hospitals restrict your movement if you are hooked up to anything), which can lead to more pain, which can lead to pain meds, which can lead to more monitoring etc etc etc....

I absolutely agree that some women have one intervention and don't need any more than that one. But, sadly, according to the numbers, not many women only have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmartin04 View Post
Just my two cents, if I were able to deliver vaginally, I would decline the testing so I would be tested at delivery.
I'm hoping the one hour test is available at the birth center we are using, if it is, I will be declining until delivery.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

August 10th, 2014, 05:17 PM
NYCgirl's Avatar Super Mommy
I did not have the test the last two pregnancies and most likely will not this time either.

August 10th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Veteran
I have tested positive for it in the past therefore my doctors have automatically given my antibiotics during labor. I don't mind having an IV and would have one either way, I just roll with it. It's not an issue for me. They don't even test me for it, just treat it since I've been + in the past. Don't want my babies getting sick, especially since this baby will already be sick more than likely, due to the birth defect.

Joy, wife to Glen, mother to 13 year old Sanura, 10 year old Adrian, 8 year old Nevaeh, 6 year old Lincoln, 1 year old Charlotte, and new addition: Harper Ellen coming around Thanksgiving!
August 11th, 2014, 06:43 AM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
I have no problem having additional tests at any time. I had a terrible kidney infection during a past pregnancy and was put on IV antibiotics and then antibiotic pills for a week. Everything turned out ok. You gotta do what you gotta do sometimes

Also, I've had an IV before during labor (just for fluids) and they let me walk around the entire floor with that pole. I don't like to lie down during labor. They don't care. I mean, obviously if you get an epidural you aren't walking anywhere because you don't have legs at that point. LOL. ..but just for antibiotics..?.. I'm sure you'll be fine. I find the labor nurses and staff at my hospital to be amazingly cooperative with anything I ask.

Last time I wanted to walk the halls while labor progressed and my water was just exploding all over the place with each step and contraction. Haha!! The nurses were great. They even helped me put on a sexy baby diaper under my gown so I could continue walking without making a mess.
ATLmommy914 and Mmartin04 like this.

#1 #2 #3 ALL BOYS!!
August 11th, 2014, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABY3. View Post
Also, I've had an IV before during labor (just for fluids) and they let me walk around the entire floor with that pole. I don't like to lie down during labor. They don't care. I mean, obviously if you get an epidural you aren't walking anywhere because you don't have legs at that point. LOL. ..but just for antibiotics..?.. I'm sure you'll be fine. I find the labor nurses and staff at my hospital to be amazingly cooperative with anything I ask.
That definitely depends on where you are. I have a couple friends who were confined to the bed once the IV was in, others who were "allowed" to move around.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

August 11th, 2014, 11:55 AM
BABY3.'s Avatar Veteran
That's possible of course. I don't know their situation. ..but if it's truly just an IV for fluids or 1-dose of antibiotics then just stick to your guns and tell them you are getting up and walking around. They're pretty cool with making a mother comfortable however that may be. For me, it's walking. ..& the pole has wheels. There should be no fear of falling if you're not on any pain meds. They may ask you to lie down while the antibiotic bag empties maybe but they won't handcuff you to the bed, I promise.

Again, I haven't had any antibiotics during labor so I can't speak for that specifically. I was just trying to help first-time moms feel comforted in the fact that with *my* experience I was allowed to be as mobile as I wanted even though I had an IV ..& that the staff was very accommodating.

#1 #2 #3 ALL BOYS!!
August 11th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BABY3. View Post
I was just trying to help first-time moms feel comforted in the fact that with *my* experience I was allowed to be as mobile as I wanted even though I had an IV ..& that the staff was very accommodating.
Absolutely. My point was, different hospitals / birth centers have different rules. It's definitely something to ask about.

aaaand..... my hospital does not offer the same-day GBS test. Only the two day. crap.

One angel baby - 1/22/14

August 11th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Veteran
My sister tested positive for GBS in both of her pregnancies and was treated both times. This last time though somehow her baby still got sick (meningitis in a newborn), and it was a nightmare. The baby had to be in the hospital for two weeks and she almost died. Anyway she's okay now but it was really terrible on my sister and niece. I get it done every time with no problems. To me it's not hurting anything.

**IMO, it's best to be safe and get tested. To me, not testing and potentially exposing my child to GBS is not worth the risk.**
jellis82 likes this.

Last edited by suzieqz; August 12th, 2014 at 04:18 PM.
August 11th, 2014, 06:15 PM
~*Kixs*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I tested negitive for group B with my 1st VBAC (but still got an antibiotic b/c I started to run a low grade fever about 15 hours after my water being broken). But tested positive for Group B with my send VBAC. I was given antibiotic's when I was admitted to L&D. To me the benefits of the meds outweigh the risk to baby if s/he should contract it during delivery. My nephew contracted it and he was a sick sick baby! He had all sorts of respiratory issues and was septic. It was terrible. He was 6 weeks early and came so fast that SIL did not get the meds and had not been tested for it yet. He ended up in the NICU for a month...not b/c he was early but b/c of the Group B. And while I don't like IV's and don't want to be tied to the bed I would much rather deal with that then having my baby fight group B strep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassi0677 View Post
If u have a c section do u still have to do all the antibiotics? I am allergic to most antibiotics I'm allergic to 6 different types so the fact that they will have a hard time finding one that will help sucks. I just hope my daughter isn't allergic to them either.
I am allergic to all penicillin's, azithromycin's and anything and everything in thoses families of drugs including keflex which is a two generation removed from penicillin. LOL Doctors HATE me! I can take Cipro and Leviquin which are both super strong drugs. I personally do not take antibiotics unless absolutely nessasary b/c 1) I don't want to become resistant to the few drugs I can take & 2) I personally feel antibiotics are overperscribed and only shorten the infection a few days earlier then just letting your body to it's thing.

All that aside...out of the 3 children I have now only ONE has an allergy to antibiotics. So while it can happen don't let it stress you out to much if baby might be allergic just b/c you are.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search