Baby wearers- ergo vs babyhawk mei tai?

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a moby and love it! I would just like to have more options with my baby wearing, and maybe something less bulky to put on quickly.

Anyone have experience with babyhawks or ergos?

and introducing Julia Pearl
September 26th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have an Ergo and I do really like it, but I must say a few things about it that I didn't like.

1. It is made of a very heavy durable material making it last but that also makes it warm for both baby and momma. Add the infant heart to heart insert and it gets even that much warmer. It was great for the winter, but not so much for a hot sunny day. I know they came out with a cooler ligher material one and I haven't used the upgraded model.

2. I never did find an easy way to get it on and off my back once baby was big enough without having help.

I do love it though. I was still carrying my 1st DD in it at the age of 3 when I needed to vacuum.

My SIL was telling me about her Beco Butterfly 2. She has both the Ergo and the Beco and actually prefers the Beco. I keep meaning to check it out but haven't yet.

September 26th, 2012, 07:10 AM
mal91011's Avatar Mommy to Maxwell
I don't have much to offer because i have no experience with either, but i did want to share that i met a mom at Joann Fabrics who makes her own Mei Tai style carriers. She said that she bought one of the babyhawks and then realized she easily could make her own. There are patterns out there for them and she prefers them because she can make the stitching more durable. She also told me there's people who make them and sell them on Etsy for half the price of the babyhawks. I meant to look into it but forgot!

September 26th, 2012, 09:07 AM
Veteran
I have a baby bjorn and loved it with DD. Baby faces inward when infant and out once bigger. I heard from someone the ergo they only face inward which baby doesn't like once they get a bit bigger and want to see everything! I also have the bjorn model with the back support as they can be hard on the back of the mom. Loved it and had no issues.

Mom to Ryan (11) and Ashley (4)
Expecting #3 January 9/2013

September 26th, 2012, 01:58 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Get a Beco!!!

September 26th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Super Mommy
I have a Beco and it's great!
September 26th, 2012, 06:34 PM
nursingmama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didnt like the moby (personally it was so much material for my small body i was overwhelmed by it) and the baby bjorn hurt my back. But this time around I am going to try the beco because I have read some great reviews!

September 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM
missadie222's Avatar Go Your Own Way mama2b
Wow this is really helpful for me. I had asked for an Ergo only, but now I'm thinking Beco cause I don't know if I would ONLY want my babe facing in for 1-2 years. I thought you could reverse it, but I just looked into it. I guess not?

Vyvian Utah Everson Spark born January 10, 2013

September 26th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Host of March '10 PR
Beco!

September 26th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Angel.Eyes4351's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Tell me beco pros and prices? Nits more expensive than ergo, right?

and introducing Julia Pearl
September 27th, 2012, 12:17 AM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's so easy to put on and adjust. Easy to do back carries with, still holds my three year old, padded shoulder and waist strap. I think I paid $75 for mine, used, from thebabywearer.com

September 27th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The Beco Butterfly 2 is a tad more expensive, but with the Ergo you still have to purchase the infant insert separately so in the end they are about the same price.

September 27th, 2012, 08:46 AM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have an Ergo and love it (I have the performance, which does have the more breathable fabric)! But I've heard great things about the Becos also. The biggest thing with carriers is to be sure the baby is supported from knee pit to knee pit. A lot of the forward facing carriers don't do that and the legs dangle and that's bad for the baby. I think Becos are one of the few that do forward carries and also give proper support for the baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search