In-Laws

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 18th, 2012, 09:23 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Do you get along with your in-laws or your s/o parents?

October 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Honestlymonique's Avatar mommy of three
Ughhhh no! Lol kinda I try for my husband sake. His father n I r good, we not close but we speak. His mother has said n done too many things for me to even think about being close to her but she now trying to be nice but most of that is because she is now working on her third divorce n wanna get back involved n dh life n our kids. I try to just be civil because I love my husband n want him to be happy

October 18th, 2012, 09:42 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Get along is a pretty broad definition. We don't go at each others throats when we see each other but we are definitely not close. Both of DH's parents are alcoholics and I think they did a terrible job raising their kids and providing for them. They are the perfect example of what not to do and I refuse to let my son near them alone at any time.

I love his extended family though and get along with aunts/cousins etc. It's just his parents and his rotten brothers that I have an issue with. I even love my sister in law. LOL

October 18th, 2012, 10:02 AM
I get along ok with my MIL but she said something to me after my miscarriage at 12 weeks back in May that is making me keep my distance now that I am preg again. When she came to visit about a month after my loss she said "Well I just had a bad feeling about your pregnancy anyway. I thought something looked wrong with the ultrasound pic" (the one we gave her in a frame to announce our pregnancy). She barely has a high school education so I doubt she knows what she's looking at on an 8 week ultrasound. I was so furious and hurt by that. I told my DH this time we are not telling anyone including and especially her until I'm about 16 weeks. I don't need any negative vibes coming my way.
October 18th, 2012, 10:09 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomsgrl11 View Post
Get along is a pretty broad definition. We don't go at each others throats when we see each other but we are definitely not close. Both of DH's parents are alcoholics and I think they did a terrible job raising their kids and providing for them. They are the perfect example of what not to do and I refuse to let my son near them alone at any time.

I love his extended family though and get along with aunts/cousins etc. It's just his parents and his rotten brothers that I have an issue with. I even love my sister in law. LOL
Sounds very similar to DH's parents. Although they lost custody of him when he was 12 ish and then he was raised by a foster family which is who he considers his family. I get along with them okay. They are not the best but they did a lot for Kyle.

October 18th, 2012, 10:15 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
We are civil, but the mil hates me (it's mutual) and the fil has warmed up to me... we are a lot alike, have a lot of the same interests etc
October 18th, 2012, 10:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We get along pretty well. There definitely have been some bumpy spots but Im sure there could be much worse.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
October 18th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Rochelle
No. MIL is schizophrenic and FIL is underhanded. I wish we got along but it's just one of those things. we are civil now but there have been a few fights in the past.
Lately things have been better with MIL bc they fixed her meds but she's still very opinionated and intrusive.
October 18th, 2012, 10:45 AM
momneedscoffee13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to momneedscoffee13 Send a message via Yahoo to momneedscoffee13 Send a message via Skype™ to momneedscoffee13
I actually got pretty lucky with my ILs, we all get along really well. Although we're not BFFs or anything, and I'm actually more comfortable around his Dad than his Mom. His Mom probably didn't approve of me in the beginning lol, but I did "corrupt" her baby boy!

October 18th, 2012, 10:57 AM
BlessednHighlyFavored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We "deal"with her and his father past when he was a baby but I LOVE his granny she is too sweet.

October 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Not his mom, she's a little too crazy for me. She is a highly educated woman, but is one of the most manipulative people I have EVER met. Can't stand the woman. I love his dad, he's great. I have no idea how he got stuck with such a lunatic woman.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

October 18th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Super Mommy
My FIL is amazing. I will have dinner with him without DH. MIL on the other hand I want to punch in her face. She has not seen my youngest her only grandchild in a year he is only 17mths old. She is rude and hateful and I refuse to let her be part of my childerns life

October 18th, 2012, 11:27 AM
MummyTo2Boys&1Girl's Avatar Loving my baby boy
we didnt to begin with but we do now

Jack Anthony Richard White

October 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
We get along very well
October 18th, 2012, 01:48 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yes in fact I like my in laws more than my own parents as a whole. My parents and I have issues....
Gen88 and Steph625 like this.
October 18th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Super Mommy
I actually really love my MIL and step-FIL. We haven't always been so close, but we are now. On the other hand, I really don't care for my FIL and step-MIL. We went to visit them once, they had a 3 month advance notice of us coming and everything and their house was absolutely disgusting. It's like they didn't even care what conditions we'd like our two young boys to stay in. My youngest wasn't even a year old yet, they stuck us in a cramped little room, completely littered with garbage and... CAT PEE! UGH! I've never been more disappointed, I was really looking forward to meeting them. Needless to say, we've never gone back. My FIL never calls my husband, EVER. It's not like it's hard to pick up a phone!
October 18th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I really adore step-MIL and FIL. They're not intrusive and are always happy to see us. I really love step-FIL, he's a very gentle and kind man. MIL is okay. I get along with her pretty well now but in 5 years we've had our moments....she's a bit crazy

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
October 18th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love my in laws more than my own parents, my MiL is great, she's a lil pushy but does it in good faith. My FiL is an awesome grandpa, I can always have smart conversations with him about anything, he's a pretty educated Guy.. The in laws have always giving us so much support and help, they're awesome people! I consider myself lucky. I'm actually at their house right now hanging out while DH is at work. We have lots of fun!

October 18th, 2012, 04:33 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love my FIL, the very first time he met me and my DD (who has a different father), he took her in as a granddaughter.. (me and DH weren't even close to being married yet!).

My MIL, she is great.. now... we had a rough go in the beginning and I finally spent a decent amount of time around her this summer and it was like night and day, she has been fabulous every since.

October 18th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We get along ok, but I'm not fond of their company. My mil is seriously crazy & so is her dh. She has moved over 50 times since I've known her & probably has had 50 jobs too. She's always asking dh for money & tried moving in with us once (ie came for a visit & unpacked their house in our spare bedroom). If that isn't enough I have a second mil (dh's stepmom) which is my fil's 3rd wife. She's always treated dh like crap & loves to talk about you behind your back while pretending to be your best friend. It's really annoying. We make it through the holidays, but limit our time together otherwise.

Last edited by j&jmom; October 18th, 2012 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search