Do you have pets?

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2012, 05:03 PM
MissesDavis's Avatar Army Girl
Do you have any pets? What steps will you take to get them ready for baby?

For us we have a 3.5yr old Saint Bernard (maylee) and 14wk old lab puppy (Trigger).

Maylee was adopted from the local humane society. However we just got in touch with her old family who had a baby and two young toddlers, so she's very good with kids and being around a baby. She's our gentle giant

Then there's Trigger, he's a brat. We are still working on training him. But I'm sure by the time the baby comes he'll be very obedient. Still very jealous though lol.

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. "

Last edited by MissesDavis; November 6th, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
November 6th, 2012, 05:45 PM
Veteran
We have an almost 6 year old Shih Tzu (he'll be 6 in March). We really didn't do much to prepare him for DD. We did set up the baby gear a little early so he could get used to it being around. But he's really laid back and not much bothers him.

When we brought DD home, he was a little shaken up by the new routine, but he was very protective of her from day 1. He would lay at the end of her bouncer or boppy while she slept and watched over her. Always laying by her when she was on the floor, etc. He is SO tolerant of her now that she is a toddler, and he's DD's best friend.

Overall, Gulliver really loves babies so I think he'll be fine this time too.

Dylan Thomas - born into Heaven 2/7/09
Vivian Noelle - 12/17/09
Faith Caroline - 6/26/13
November 6th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Super Mommy
I have a cat. My husband and I have discussed a bit how he might potentially deal with a new baby in the house. I am a bit concerned about his claws. He's not aggressive, it's just that sometimes he plays a bit too rough. I really hope I don't have to declaw him because I think it's cruel (it's basically the equivalent of someone cutting off your fingertips down to the knuckles). I think he'll be okay though because my friend came once with her 6-month old and my cat had absolutely no interest in him whatsoever. He came over, sniffed him for a couple of seconds, and that was pretty much it. He was way more interested in the smell of the baby's food, to be quite honest.

The only other concern I have is that my cat used to be a stray, so I think he has some serious abandonment issues - he MUST be in the same room as us at all times, including sleeping in the bedroom with us. we've tried shutting him out and he just cries and cries all night long (very loud and distressed meows, like he's in tremedous pain!!!) we thought that if we just held out long enough that he would stop, but one week later he was still crying all night so we just gave up. I guess you just can't train a cat! we have a 1-bedroom apartment and so the crib will be in our bedroom. I just hope he doesn't get the idea of climbing inside the crib. I am thinking once we set up the crib and before baby arrives, I'm going to put some strips of double-sided tape in there so that if he does go, he'll soon figure out how unpleasant it is.
November 6th, 2012, 07:36 PM
DaniB+4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We already had two of our three cats as well as our dog when our son was born 14 months ago and they are adjusted pretty well to him, so I don't think it will take much to get them ready for this baby. My dog is old and super tolerant, and the cats mainly just avoid him. We've gotten a new kitten since Miles was born so I will be interested to see how he deals with the new baby. He gets a kick out of Miles so I am assuming he'll do fine with an infant, too.
Dani ~ Baby #5 due 11/9/16
November 6th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a cat, I am sure she will be fine, she adjusts to new things extremely well for a cat (except for ice cubes in her water dish, she will not adapt to that, HAHA)
November 6th, 2012, 11:18 PM
LittleMomma09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a 7 year old female Chihuahua/Pomeranian mix. I was worried how she would act when I had my daughter just for the bread that she is. From day one she took right up with my daughter. They are really great together. So I am not to worried about how she is going to do with this one.

November 7th, 2012, 06:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a blue heeler mix, a pittie and a cat. They are used to kids and babies so we are doing nothing different to prepare them.

7/24/12
10/09/12
November 7th, 2012, 06:40 AM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
In the house we have 2 cats and they have always done fine with my DD. We have an outside dog who also does great with her so I'm not worried about any of the pets adjusting.

Jessifer - I put tin foil in Peyton's crib when we had it set up before she was born because one of our cats was jumping in it. She jumped in it one time with the tin foil in there, it freaked her out, and she never tried to get in it again.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
November 7th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Veteran
I have 2 dogs a 11year old mutt rescued as a stray as a puppy and worried how she'll do as she has always been my baby all her life

and A soon to be 7 year old shar-pei I have no worries with her shes a therapy dog at local hospitals and highly trained she is also my show dog

Me with both

Opal and I at nationals

Last edited by BaileysFourtune; November 7th, 2012 at 02:04 PM.
November 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Expecting #1 July 2013 <3
I have a lab mix she is 2yrs old, and VERY spoiled! I' am worried she will freak when the baby arrives so I was wondering the same thing! How to prepare her?

November 7th, 2012, 10:23 AM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
We have 3 cats in the house. They've all been around since before DS2 was born. Our one cat was supposed to be a 1st bday gift for DS1 but he's really my cat. They all do fine with babies. I'm not worried about it.
November 7th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Super Mommy
We have two dogs. Jake is FH's 13 year-old Lab. I hope that he will be around for the baby because he is the best kid dog ever. Champ is a 2 year-old Golden Retriever. Champ was adopted 6 months ago because I believe that all kids should have a dog to grow up with and I knew that it would be easier on FH to get another dog before we had to make any hard decisions about Jake (we almost lost him a few weeks back). Champ is a sweet dog, but he leans into whoever is petting him, so I'm worried that he could knock a child down. Also, he likes to drag a blanket around, so we've started teaching him that he's only allowed to have his blanket. I don't want to referee tug-of-war between a toddler and a dog. He's got some seperation anxiety (we're his third home) so I'm sure there will be lots of reassurance when the baby arrives.

We also have two cats who live outside and won't really have unsupervised contact with baby.

"Shake it up now, Sugaree. I'll meet you at the Jubilee. And if that Jubilee don't come. Maybe I'll meet you on the run."

Last edited by Sugaree; November 7th, 2012 at 10:31 AM.
November 7th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Mandamail88's Avatar Super Mommy
My furbaby, Gabby, saved my life. Not in a literal sense, but surely in an emotional sense. I adopted her from a shelter that was going to kill her. She had been in a puppy mill and was severely malnourished. I had been in an extremely abusive relationship and was recovering from self mutilating.

She was what got me through that horrible time in my life, her unconditional love and her snuggles

I don't know what my life would have become without her.

I know that when the baby comes she'll be wonderful with it

Adam & Amanda
Our First
July 8, 2013

November 7th, 2012, 12:15 PM
chessalove's Avatar Love my little family
I have two cats and a dog.

My first cat is my sweet, shy, baby girl. I got her as a single college student, so she's been with me the longest. She doesn't warm up to anyone but my hubby and I, she just hides when people come over. I assume she will be freaked out by the baby, but eventually take interest in the baby when she realizes s/he's not going anywhere!

My second cat was an 8 year old tabby that my hubby and I adopted 3 years ago. He is a sweet snuggler who loves to love! But he's been in a few different homes and we don't know his past... and I wonder what happened in his old households because he is so needy!! If we can't give him the attention he needs, he will chase after you and bite your ankles and get aggressive. I really hope this does not become a problem. His own downside is that he wants so much love. I try to go easy on him, but he'll have to go to my mom's if he gets aggressive over the baby.

My puppy (dog) is almost 2 years old. He's an Australian Shepherd/ Collie mix. He is sooooo playful and goofy, and he listens about 75% of the time. He's about 35 lbs, so enough to knock over the baby. I can see it being an issue because he doesn't realize the cats are too small to wrestle him the way he wants to play. But I hear these amazing stories about protective dogs, and I'm hoping he will be a calm guardian to my baby and they can grow up together!!!
November 7th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Amber76's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Amber76
We have an 8 year old pug. She did fine when both of the girls came home so i am sure she will be fine again. When my oldest DD was born we went to a class at Babies r Us all about introducing your pet to your baby.
All I remember was that when you bring the baby home you should go in first and greet your pet and then bring the baby in. Also i think they said have someone bring home one of the blankets the baby has used from the hospital so the dog gets used to the baby smell before the beby gets there.
I think we did both things with our oldest DD, I don't think we did it with DD#2.

Katerina 01/10/07 Gabriella 12/29/09 2012 2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search