Log In Sign Up

Something That Made Me Smile/Share Your Story

Forum: 2013 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree48Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 20th, 2012, 11:15 PM
iamkc's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Posts: 8,137
Send a message via AIM to iamkc
We had trouble conceiving DS1. A lot. I had complications and almost died after he was born. We were preventing DS2, but BOOM! We were shocked. I had a complicated pregnancy, and he was born with many, many medical issues. DH and I decided no more. I was really sad about it, truthfully. I always felt like someone was missing. But when one person wants it and the other doesn't, and when it seems like something tragic is bound to happen...

On April 8th, we had a yard sale. I got rid of everything that I could find that was for babies. I kept the crib because DS2 still used it, but that was it. I had already given some away to family and friends and organizations. I just wanted it all gone! We were trying to get ready to move across the country, so the less we had, the better! Aaaaaaand, cue getting pregnant on April 16th. HAHAHAHA That was when we had sex. I was sick before and after that, and I know that was the only time. And we were preventing.

I kept "feeling" pregnant, whatever that meant. I even wrote an email to a friend that my PMS was so out of control that I would swear I was pregnant. We had a family reunion on April 28th, and DH said something about me looking pregnant that night. I almost hit him. He said, "I just can't figure it out. Your belly is poking out, but it's more than that." I laughed it off, but did admit that I was feeling a little pregnant. Alas, I took a Dollar Tree test, and it was negative. I told him so. For good measure, I bought another DT test, then one from Walmart. 2 days later, I think, I felt weird packing our stuff and taking the pregnancy test across the country. So I peed on it. Instant lines. I KNEW, but I didn't, if that makes sense.

We spent the day running errands and doing things with the kids. At the end of the night, we needed to stop at Walgreens to get diapers for DS2. I told them to stay in the car, that I would get them myself. I got prenatals while I was in there. I got in the car, and DH offered to change DS2. I turned into a crazy person. "NO! I can do it!" "But I really don't mind." "NO! I've got it!" "Well, let me get the bag for you." "NOOOOOOO! There's...I..." And I threw the test at him. "HERE! Before you see what's in the bag!" I knew that he would see the prenatals. I tried not to cry. He had been the one so adamant about not having another. I felt like I had done something wrong (which is so illogical, but that doesn't matter). Instead, he smiled. He was thrilled. Later, he would tell me that he had wanted another, but it just didn't seem right with the complications and medical issues. Relief doesn't even begin to describe it!

When I'm having a hard day, for whatever reason, I think back to that. I feel very lucky.

Reply With Quote
November 21st, 2012, 06:41 AM
PickyNicki's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 635
Well, we had 3. We were done. When I was pregnant with DD2 I had thought about having my tubes tied, but I was very emotional and just couldn't go through with it.

I went back on the pill and we just kind of went on with life. Then around the time that our youngest turned 1 I realized that I hadn't had AF for awhile and thought back that I had missed a couple pills...Oops! I tested and was pregnant. I was not thrilled and cried a lot wondering how we were going to do it... That was June of 2011. I went to have an ultrasound at 9 weeks and the baby had no heartbeat. I was crushed. I know I had said that I didn't want another, but I had started to love the little bean already. They did a repeat and the result was the same, so at 12 weeks I had a D&C.

After that DH and I talked about what we wanted to do. Did I want to get my tubes tied? Vasectomy? Try for another? After a couple of months we decided that we were happy with our family the way it was and that one of us would get surgery. (Secretly I was hoping it would be him...) We were moving and things were crazy and it just got put on the back burner again. BUT I was religious about taking my pills. I DID NOT MISS A SINGLE ONE.

In May, I had just made a call to a dr about going in for my PAP and a consultation on permanent birth control. We scheduled my appt for the next month. I was still taking my pills on a regular schedule, but had had my period twice in April. The period I was supposed to get in Mat was late, but I was beginning to wonder if I was going through early menopause because my periods were irregular. I was taking my pills, so I didn't think much about it...

Finally at the end of May with my dr appt looming, I started to get nervous and bought some tests. I told DH and he said, "You don't REALLY think your pregnant? You can't be pregnant." I said I didn't know... I went to the bathroom and took one and took it back to the living room to wait with DH. When the two lines appeared, I threw it at him and said "Apparently I am." Maybe not the best reaction...

Anyhow, it took awhile, but we are really looking forward to our little girl being here. I was worried about reactions from our families, but everyone is just very happy for us! I also thought our kids would be upset, but our two oldest are so excited, and our youngest gently pats my belly every day and talks about her "baby sis."

I feel like our little girl will be a huge, unexpected blessing. One that easily could not have happened. I think of all the times that we could have gone through with a surgery and the fact that I was on BCP, and that really she "shouldn't" be here. It really reinforces the fact that she is meant to be a part of our family and I know she will fit right in to our crazy, beautiful life.

...And now I'm teary, too.
Lucky Mama and MammaWannaBe like this.
Happy Mommy of:
Anna Sharol (8)
Reed Allen (5)
Ellie Nichole (2)
Clairre Julianne 1/14/13

Last edited by PickyNicki; November 21st, 2012 at 06:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
November 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg, Canada
Posts: 355
Hmmm my story.
Well I have a DS drom my first marriage. He is 11. My DD is 4 and lots of people tell me you know when you are done having kids. I wasn't there. My DH went back and forth should we shouldn't we. Decided what the heck lets give it a try. Well 2 months later I was pregnant. Like many I had tested early with negatives and felt sad. Well AF didn't come the morning it was due and I tested the next morning. POSITIVE! I was so excited. DH was away on business so I texted him pic of the pee stick. Then called him which was 6am where he was and said "did you get my text?" He was like no I'm sleeping! I told him to check. Let me tell you he woke up quickly!
Lucky Mama and MammaWannaBe like this.

Mom to Ryan (11) and Ashley (4)
Expecting #3 January 9/2013

Reply With Quote
November 21st, 2012, 07:07 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,018
These stories are beautiful. It's so good to hear that even after struggles and difficulties that we were able to get pregnant and even if some were not sure it was what they wanted, it sure is now! It's just interesting to see all the different paths that we are all on, but now we are in this DDC with one commonality.

This was such a good way to start off my day. I love stories with happy endings

Reply With Quote
November 21st, 2012, 10:32 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,575
Okay. Mine is loooong and I WILL be emotional.

DH and I had started talking about having another baby so I started charting my cycles, taking OPKs, temping, etc. My cycles were horribly irregular. My longest was over 90 days. I was beginning to panic a little.

It took us 9 months to conceive our first (which really isn't THAT long, but when TTC every month feels like a year). We conceived our second on our second cycle of trying. Having had two vastly different experiences, I started to worry that with such long, unpredictable cycles, it might take us a loooong time to conceive.

In April, I had very weird ovulation signs more than once and hadn't received my OPKs in the mail yet, so I had no clue when I had ovulated. So, I calculated approx. 12 DPO from the last set of symptoms and planned to test then.

When the day came, I pulled out my internet cheapies and... lo and behold! A faint line! I was shocked and excited! I took three more that day, each one a little darker. I was blowing up the TTC board with pictures and happy emoticons. That night, I ran to the store after the girls were in bed, and picked up a box of three FRERs and a box with two digital tests. I couldn't wait to see the word "Pregnant" flashing all over that little, digital screen! I got home, held my piddle as long as I could, and I took a FRER just after 10 pm.

There was no line. Not even a shadow.

I was so confused. I took another IC and saw another faint line, though I was starting to worry that it might be a little lighter than the tests I had taken earlier in the day. I tossed and turned all night, hoping and praying that the ICs were just super sensitive and I would get a more definitive BFP in the morning.

I woke up the next morning and hustled to the bathroom. I peed in a cup and dipped another FRER, certain I would at least see a faint line. Again: nothing. I used another IC, fingers crossed. There was a line, but it was even fainter than the one I had taken the night before. I was starting to panic and decided to break out the big guns: the all mighty digital test.

Dipped in the urine. Waited. Negative. A big, fat "Not Pregnant" appeared in the screen. I was crushed... and confused. Later that day, I took one more IC, just to be sure. The line was almost invisible. I was so heartsick. I posted on the TTC board and everyone agreed that it sounded just like a chemical pregnancy.

I called my midwife and she confirmed that it was probably a chemical pregnancy. She offered to do some bloodwork, but my heart hurt so much, I couldn't do it. She talked with me on the phone for over and half and hour, comforting me and telling me what to expect. She said if I hadn't had any bleeding within two weeks, to call her so she could help get the process of miscarrying started.

I cried everyday. I felt so depressed. I also felt like a total drama queen for being so upset, but I couldn't help it. To go from the high of seeing those positive tests and knowing I was carrying another baby to the low of knowing I would lose that baby, was gut-wrenching to me.

A week passed. Nothing. 8 days. 9 days. Still nothing. 10 days after my positive tests, I was at my wits end. The waiting for the inevitable was killing me. I went to the gym and ran on the treadmill, trying to find some way to release my emotions. I ran for over an hour, sobbing on the tredmill (I got some really weird looks from people around me ).

I came home feeling numb. I had decided to call my midwife the next day to talk about my options. Tear-staked and sweaty, I sat next to DH on the couch to watch TV. I got up to use the bathroom during a commercial break. When I walked into the bathroom, I thought, "What the h*ll. I haven't started bleeding yet for some reason, and I have 25 internet cheapies. What's one more test?"

I peed in my designated pee cup, dipped the stick, and set it down so I could wash my hands. I was drying my hands and glanced at the test. My heart stopped. It was POSITIVE! Blaringly, bright pink positive! I was shaking so badly that I could barely dip another IC.

Two lines appeared within seconds. I grabbed my iPad and took pictures, uploading them to the TTC board, asking them to reassure me that I was not hallucinating. As the responses poured in, I dipped my last FRER. Positive. I felt faint. My heart was hammering in my chest. It still felt completely unreal. Once again, I took out the Holy Grail of the Home Testers arsenal: the digi.

The hour glass blinked and I paced my small bathroom. When the word "Pregnant" appeared, I started to bawl. By this point, I had been gone for about 45 minutes. A very concerned DH knocked softly on the door and asked if I was okay. I didn't even bother to wipe the tears from my face. I opened the door and held out the digital test.

He read it, looking confused, and then grinned.

It was a crazy few weeks leading up to my BFP. I was pretty scared through the first trimester, and used over 40 tests in the first few weeks of pregnancy because I was still so nervous it was too good to be true. But it was true and here we are!

See? Told you it was long and emotional.

P.S. The best we can figure is my ICs were picking up my LH surge (even though they are not supposed to). At my request, we did a little experiment and had several girls on the TTC board use the same brand of IC HPT I had used when they were having their LH surge and sure enough, all of them got a faint positive. Crazy stuff...

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Last edited by Lucky Mama; November 21st, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
November 21st, 2012, 10:36 AM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,018
Wow Lucky Mama your story is dramatic! I can't imagine going through that kind of emotional rollercoaster. Those months of getting BFN's are so stressful and heartbreaking and yours going back and forth like that and having to wait and wait to figure out what was going on must have been awful. I don't blame you crying on the treadmill although I probably would have been crying over a cartoon of ice cream!

But look at where you are now, expecting baby girl number 3!
Lucky Mama likes this.

Reply With Quote
November 21st, 2012, 10:49 AM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,059
Although my story isnt nearly as exciting as your stories.....

Dh and I have been trying for about 6 months at this point. Every month I would run to the store and get a test, even if I was just 1 day late, because I couldnt stand the anticipation!!! Then after about 6 months the anticipation subsided and I barely even was thinking about it at all. Then I was shopping in Kmart and passed the baby isle and thought to myself....wow, I cant remember the last time I had my period...So I bought the test and in line I really had to go to the bathroom but I held it in because I wanted to test as soon as I got home. So I ran inside with only my pregnancy test box and left everything else in the car. I tested and before I could even flush the lines were there!! Then I used my other test to double check and I immediately called DH. He was at work states away, but was very happy. I laughed, I cried, and then I called the DR to schedule my first appointment! What a happy day
Lucky Mama and MammaWannaBe like this.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy
Reply With Quote
November 21st, 2012, 10:58 AM
Lucky Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 5,575
Originally Posted by MammaWannaBe View Post
Wow Lucky Mama your story is dramatic! I can't imagine going through that kind of emotional rollercoaster. Those months of getting BFN's are so stressful and heartbreaking and yours going back and forth like that and having to wait and wait to figure out what was going on must have been awful. I don't blame you crying on the treadmill although I probably would have been crying over a cartoon of ice cream!

But look at where you are now, expecting baby girl number 3!
Oh, trust me! My other two were so much less dramatic! It was so excruciating at the times, but now it's kind of like our own little TTC fairy tale. Against what everyone thought, it worked out in the end. I feel very blessed.

____ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Reply With Quote
November 27th, 2012, 01:28 PM
joellejello's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,122
I love these stories!

Mine is a bit less exciting this time. One day at work, I was IMing a couple close friends and realized that I hadn't complained about having cramps in a while. So I tried to figure out when I was due for my period. And realized I might be a couple weeks late. Not days. Weeks. So I went out over lunch and picked up a couple dollar store tests and peed on one as soon as I got back to work (in the bathroom). I don't think it could have turned positive any faster than it did. My DH and I had recently talked about starting to try for #2 in a couple months, and I was just so excited to not have to try this time around. It took 10 cycles to concieve our son and my heart broke every one of those months that I got a negative. We were both so happy that fate took over this time
Lucky Mama and MammaWannaBe like this.
~Kasi~ Mommy to Sean Elliot and Taylor Joelle!

Reply With Quote
November 27th, 2012, 05:12 PM
MammaWannaBe's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 4,018
That's awesome! Those months of seeing negative results can be really wearing. Looks like not trying not preventing was the best thing you could have done!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0