Stuff you WON'T be buying again...

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2012, 01:49 PM
OnesOnTheWay's Avatar #3 Due November 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
Diaper Genies really weird me out. It's like, storing poo in your house.

"Welcome to my home, here is my kitchen, and here is my nice hallway, and here is my poo container."
ME, TOO!
Maybe it's just because I live in a house with an outside trash can that's easy to access, but I'd much rather make a 2 second trip outside to throw a dirty diaper away than store it in a container

Maybe it's different if you live in an apartment or something though.
November 24th, 2012, 03:01 PM
lalap's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
Diaper Genies really weird me out. It's like, storing poo in your house.

"Welcome to my home, here is my kitchen, and here is my nice hallway, and here is my poo container."
Bahaha! I've thought that exact thing before.
December 5th, 2012, 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
I would skip the changing table too. It was only good for storage...we always changed DS on the floor/blanket.

I would also skip the bedding set! We went all out and bought matching sheets & comforter set...we didn't use the bumper or comforter part of it (we were afraid of all of the warnings of suffocation) and I'm sure those were the two most expensive pieces of the set! Plus, DS didn't use his crib (had him in a bassinet) until he was almost 6 months old, so it just sat there.
I know exactly what you mean about waiting on using the crib. Not sure about the comforter though. A good down comforter will really insulate your baby nicely and suffocation is such a remote risk. It's all about peace of mind though
December 5th, 2012, 07:08 AM
momology's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This thread is amazing!!!!! I feel like it is super helpful to a first time mom like me Keep em coming ladies!!!

Cautiously expecting Seamonkey #2 Due Oct 4th

Missing our angels:
Molar pregnancy loss (12 weeks) - 1/2013
Missed Miscarriage (10 weeks) - 6/2013
Early Miscarriage (5 weeks) - 12/2016

December 5th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Morgans Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never used the wipe warmer. I had good intentions, it just never happened.
Baking a Rainbow

8/12

December 5th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Super Mommy
I had an infant car seat that held up to 30 lb (instead of 20 lb, I think?), and I thought it was too bulky. I'd rather get a smaller seat or a convertible seat right away.

I thought the Moby wrap was a real pain, but I have to admit I saved it and will try again...

One other idea -- for new moms who are going to breastfeed, I thought the "my breast friend" at the lactation office was much easier to use to support breastfeeding than the Boppy. I never ended up buying one, and in the long run the Boppy was fine. But it can be challenging to get started with breastfeeding, so newbies might want to consider a firmer, more structured breastfeeding support pad.
December 5th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Veteran
My son is only 10 months so really i wont be needing to buy much new stuff thankfully. If I was re-stocking I would definitely not bother with the swing chair, rocking chair that my son hated!
December 5th, 2012, 01:22 PM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
I will def. be using a wipe warmer again ( I still have my one I used for DD) I loved it. I will also be buying an infant carrier again. I like using them when the baby isn't sitting up in a cart yet for the grocery and things like that.

I can't think of anything I won't be getting this time that I got in the past. We are pretty much starting over again. I probably won't buy many boutique clothes if this is a girl. I bought them for my DD thinking I would constantly have her in big bows and dresses and rompers..Nope. She didn't have any hair and I only put her in the boutique clothes for pictures and a few other family meals..
December 5th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Veteran
Changing table or pad - I always just changed him on a blanket on the floor or on a blanket on my ottoman

Chair for the nursery - never used it

Bouncer - he preferred a swing and having two is kind of redundant.

Any carrier that's not an Ergo - I tried getting a cheaper one and hated it

Clothes with buttons - snaps or zippers are the way to go!

Baby shoes - not practical at all. I'd rather have cute socks.
December 5th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Emvious's Avatar Mom to 2+2+1 in the oven
Lol! You guys are cracking me up about the diaper genie! I guess I never thought about one that way since I cloth diaper and have a bag of diapers hanging out in the bathroom anyways! (Granted, I spray everything out into the toilet, so not really a "poo container"...)

Waiting to meet my angels in heaven

Emmett Parker, 2-4-12, missed miscarriage @ 11 weeks
Wyatt Leland, 7-30-12, miscarried at 6.5 weeks

Emerson Benton, heartbeat stopped 2-4-13, born 2-5-13 @ 17w3d, 5.6oz, 9" long
December 5th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Shea131's Avatar Peyton Rylee's Mommy!!
We still have quite a bit from DD. I got rid of our boppy because I knew we'd never use it again (didn't use it the first time). Our changing table is attached to the crib but we never used it so I wouldn't have a changing table if it wasn't attached. I never really used the glider either but we still have it.

Thank you Quantum_Leap for my fabulous signature!!!
December 5th, 2012, 04:31 PM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The mesh feeders for when they start eating solids. Not sure what I was thinking on that one but it's really pointless and hard to clean. DH also called it a food sock

Oct '11 June '12
December 5th, 2012, 07:04 PM
doodoosmom's Avatar 4 kids?! Who's counting!
I'm starting totally from scratch since we gave away all our baby stuff thinking we were done so i'm loving this thread since I forgot what a waste some of this stuff is.

We didn't get a changing table with DD but we got a dresser for her that fit a changing pad on top and secured it to the dresser so we had the option to change her there if we wanted. Half the time we used to floor or couch anyways, so we saved a lot buy not buying the changing table.

I won't be getting crib bedding..I seem to always buy it and never use the quilt or the bumpers. I don't think we'll even get the crib right away since we plan on keeping the baby in our room in a pack and play..but once we purchase the crib we'll probably just buy sheets and possibly breathable bumpers.

I also don't plan on buying a ton of Newborn size stuff...babies outgrow it too fast and it barely gets used. We usually buy 1 box newborn diapers then a bunch of size ones and for clothes we get a handful of NB sizes and the rest 0-3 months and up.
December 6th, 2012, 01:14 AM
4 Boys & 4 Girls !
I had a rocker with my first baby...that was 22 yrs ago! and Im gonna get a recliner this time around. Monitors I always use at least 2 different ones in 2 different rooms. Digital ear thermomater. I am stocked up on cloth gerber diapers I use as burp rags. Baby wrap. I couldnt live with out my awesome babyswing..
December 6th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_mommy View Post
The mesh feeders for when they start eating solids. Not sure what I was thinking on that one but it's really pointless and hard to clean. DH also called it a food sock
Ugh, yes! I forgot about those things. I didn't like them either.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search