How true is this?

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By mrskfet
  • 3 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By Anchored
  • 1 Post By Beachbabies

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 7th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If anyone knows...

I was on another message board and saw quite a few posts (older ones) saying that once you hear the heartbeat at 7-8 weeks and you've had no spotting/bleeding, your chances of m/c decrease to 3%. And that after 12 weeks, it's down to 1.5%.

I'm googling for a legitimate source but so far nothing more than message board answers... I never asked my Ob about this, but was wondering if maybe someone else had?

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

Last edited by Anchored; January 7th, 2013 at 05:04 AM. Reason: forgot something
January 7th, 2013, 05:10 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
I read about this somewhere else, but because I cant remember where, I just googled it lol this is the most legit answer I found

FAQ : Gynecologist West Hills : Stephanie Mandelman MD

"When should I tell people that I am pregnant?
About 15% of diagnosed pregnancies end in miscarriage. The good news is that 85% don’t. In most cases of miscarriage the embryo stops growing before the cardiac system is developed, and we never see a heartbeat on ultrasound. Once we see a heartbeat, the risk of miscarriage is much lower. If the baby has a heartbeat after 8 weeks from the last period, the risk of miscarriage is less than 5%. After 12 weeks, the risk is less than 1%. Many patients choose to wait to tell others about the pregnancy based on these statistics. This is a personal choice which depends on how you would feel about others knowing that you had a miscarriage, if this should occur."
January 7th, 2013, 05:48 AM
Ah ha! That's pretty darn close to what the other women were saying so I'll go with that! I'm just so paranoid that despite seeing the heartbeat twice and hearing it once that something will still go wrong :\

*Thank you to

January 7th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We saw a heart beat at 7 1/2 weeks and then I miscarried 2 weeks later. I think everyone person is different! If you've seen the heartbeat twice I think your chances of miscarrying are much lower!!
Good luck

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

January 7th, 2013, 06:04 AM
mariri's Avatar Veteran
enough said..........thank you
January 7th, 2013, 06:29 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This chart might help:
Miscarriage Probability
Anchored, KeLLiC09 and mrskfet like this.
January 7th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
This chart might help:
Miscarriage Probability
That's perfect and exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
alittlelost likes this.

*Thank you to

January 7th, 2013, 06:41 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Chase View Post
Ah ha! That's pretty darn close to what the other women were saying so I'll go with that! I'm just so paranoid that despite seeing the heartbeat twice and hearing it once that something will still go wrong :\
Same here. We heard the heartbeat at 6w 4d and it was nice and healthy, but I'm terrified that at the appointment on Thursday the hb will be gone as long as we're both feeling good and no bleeding/cramping, I think we'll be okay though
January 7th, 2013, 06:44 AM
That's what my husband keeps saying too! My previous m/c's were MUCH earlier than this (knew I was miscarrying by 5 weeks), and my progesterone was always low and they didn't give me supplements. AND both of them had abnormal ultrasounds early on

*Thank you to

January 7th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm beyond scared of my appointment Thursday. Heard the HB last week, bleeding has stopped to occassional spotting with brown blood, and still getting sick, but I'm just scared at this point.
January 7th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My ob said that once you see a heartbeat the chance of miscarriage drops way down to 3%. I didn't even ask him he gave me the info because he knew about my recent loss and knew I was probably worried- he's such a kind man. That reassured me a lot, but of course I'm still nervous about my ultrasound today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhD_Bound_Mommy View Post
I'm beyond scared of my appointment Thursday. Heard the HB last week, bleeding has stopped to occassional spotting with brown blood, and still getting sick, but I'm just scared at this point.
I'm glad your bleeding has stopped. That sounds very good to me- with my mc the bleeding didn't get lighter until a week of horrible bleeding and clots so I'm definitely thinking positive for you. I'm sorry you are so scared- I would be too regardless of the reassurance. Hang in there!
KeLLiC09 likes this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
January 7th, 2013, 02:20 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I've read it too. I was 13 weeks when I had some light pink spotting for the first time and I had seen a great and high heartbeat at 8 weeks but when I went in for the spotting, we'd lost the baby. I found out later that my progesterone was low so I had supplements with the next pregnancy and everything turned out okay. I had felt like something would go wrong all 13 weeks of that pregnancy. I think for the most part, we just make ourselves worry because we can't see what's going on. I feel optimistic this time but I still get very anxious. I can't wait to be far enough along to use a Doppler.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search