Writing Mamas...

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2013, 05:31 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
^^ when I was writing more often I found it easiest to start with a basic story outline - key points, basic storyline, important events outlined. Then come up with the characters and write out a back story for each. Once you "get to know" your characters you can sort of plug them into your storyline and know how they would react to the situation... but I'm sooo out of practice haha.

my biggest issue is finishing a story. I can come up with ideas galore, but I have no idea how to END them
I am completely opposite of you lol the beginning and ending of stories is my strong point, but I lose so much steam in the middle that I stop trying. I started a book in a college creative writing class (my first attempt), wrote the beginning, a chapter, and the end and thats as far as it went. Wouldve been a good story if I knew how to keep it fresh.

I LOVE the idea of a monthly short story challenge!!! Its a great way to get us all back into the throes of writing and we could bounce ideas off one another, offer suggestions, praise and critique, etc.
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 11th, 2013, 05:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would love to hear your process. I would love to be able to finish the book I was writing and just see if I could get it read by a publisher.
January 11th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
This is awesome! I had no idea we had so many other writing mamas in this group. I'm so excited! I'm a writer. I try to do it every day. That's been harder since I found out I was pregnant, but I used to get up every morning and write for at least an hour before the kiddos got up, and then I'd write again after they went to bed.

I'm actually on a deadline now for my agent, so I just jumped back into my current story last night. I'd love to have a monthly writing prompt with you ladies!

January 11th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post

finding time is absolutely hard. I make time after the kids go to bed. I usually write in spurts (2-3 months at a time then take off for a while). Eventually, I'd like to write every other day. so I have 1 night working on my book, then 1 night just relaxing. My problem is I get into too many nights relaxing and then have to work like a mad man to recoup time for my deadlines.

I'd be happy to share my process, if anyone thinks it will help. It will still take time though to find the "process" that works for you and over time it might change, but it will get easier STARTING is the hardest part, I promise Once you start--once you completely that first draft--things change. It took me 8 years just to START writing. But since then, I've written 4 drafts (working on a 5th) and published 2 books.

I wrote almost 4200 words tonight. It feels good to make progress. It's been over a year since I've written.
I'd also love to hear your process. Maybe it will inspire me to find my own.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
January 11th, 2013, 07:39 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhD_Bound_Mommy View Post
I would love to hear your process. I would love to be able to finish the book I was writing and just see if I could get it read by a publisher.
First I decide on my story idea. Who is my character. What is their problem? Why is their problem urgent?

Then I do my outline. I didn't always do outlines, but I hate massive rewrites and outlines save me from having to do them. For my outline, I start from the very core:

I use the 8-point story arc:
How to Structure A Story: The Eight-Point Arc

I figure out what the scenes are in each of those 8 points. I aim for about 60 scenes. I also try to write it so that the beginning is 15 scenes, middle is 30 scenes, and ending is 15 scenes. This goes with the "3-act" format used in movies. More on that here: Three-act Structure

so basically I use the 3 act combined with the 8 point arc to plan out the major events of my story and to detail my scenes.

Once that's done, I start writing. I try to use Goal, Motivation, Conflict for each scene so that the story unfolds organically, based on character (versus a forced plot). Sometimes that means the plot changes as I write

In each scene I try to show 3 reasons the character won't get what they want and 3 reasons they might. The beginning sets up different conflicts, the middle builds on those conflicts, and the end resolves them. I always try to build tension. The key is for BAD THINGS to happen to your character, then they react to the best they can from their limited, not-so-happy choices, and that creates whatever the next scene will be, where new conflicts will come into play.
Husher, jkbaxter612 and mrskfet like this.
January 11th, 2013, 12:23 PM
Veteran

Last edited by angelbabiesmama; January 24th, 2013 at 09:25 AM.
January 11th, 2013, 12:29 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbabiesmama View Post
What are the titles of your best selling books if you don't mind me asking?
If you PM me, I can tell you (and also verify I am the author by tweeting your name through twitter) but because I don't want my "book people" following my around on a pregnancy forum, I don't post my name here and also ask that if/when you find out who I am you don't post my name here either

I'm not famous or anything, but I've dealt with enough stalkers now and just want peace here
angelbabiesmama and mrskfet like this.
January 11th, 2013, 02:54 PM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
If you PM me, I can tell you (and also verify I am the author by tweeting your name through twitter) but because I don't want my "book people" following my around on a pregnancy forum, I don't post my name here and also ask that if/when you find out who I am you don't post my name here either

I'm not famous or anything, but I've dealt with enough stalkers now and just want peace here
Can I PM you too? I'm curious as well lol I promise I wont use your name on here either I dont have a twitter but I dont need any verification, I trust that you will be who you say you are
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search