Thoughts on getting babies vaccinated?

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree59Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had my son vaccinated up til 18 months. Then he got autism. (I personally believe the vaccines were a small piece of the puzzle--not the *only* reason he has autism.) We quit vax'ing at that point. He never got any more and my daughter hasn't has any.

Exemptions by State
In Texas, we can choose to exempt for personal reasons. I get a form from the dept of public health, fill it out and have it notarized. That allows the kids to attend school (although we homeschool!)

The first vax is given at birth!!!! They are minutes/hours old and they're already injuecting them with junk. (Hep B). After that, they get some at 2 weeks, 2months, etc. That was how it was 3 yrs ago. Maybe they've changed it?
alittlelost likes this.

January 11th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We vaccinate. I remember a while back I witnessed a heated debate about this topic and one lady in particular was real harsh. She kept bashing parents who don't immunize saying their kids won't get sick because of herd immunity. That those other kids were only "safe" because everyone else's were immunized and if everyone chose not to vaccinate things would be different. More kids sick etc. It sure was interesting but that lady was a jerk lol

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
January 11th, 2013, 06:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure how Texas vaccinates since my kids got everything in NC, but my doc was awesome. She spaced the shots the way she did for her own kids. The most either of mine got at a time was 2. I also gave tylenol before appointments to my doctors recommendation and never had issues with lethargic behavior, or allergic reactions. (Knock on wood) The best thing to do is trust your gut and do what you feel is the best for your family.
mrskfet likes this.
January 11th, 2013, 06:41 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
PHD, I'm in Texas, I think it depends on the Pediatrician. I had one that didn't mind the spacing but the one we're using now, doesn't like to space them.
PhD_Bound_Mommy likes this.

January 11th, 2013, 06:43 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
We vaccinate. I remember a while back I witnessed a heated debate about this topic and one lady in particular was real harsh. She kept bashing parents who don't immunize saying their kids won't get sick because of herd immunity. That those other kids were only "safe" because everyone else's were immunized and if everyone chose not to vaccinate things would be different. More kids sick etc. It sure was interesting but that lady was a jerk lol
She sounds like it! She also sounds like she doesn't actually understand herd immunity. The idea of herd immunity is was all vaccinate so only the people who the vaccines don't work for will be safe. But that operates on the understanding vaccines don't work for everyone. so then, how is it other kids are "safe" because everyone else is getting immunized? Those other people could still get sick and give it to the non immunized kids. She seems to be implying vaccines work 100% so other kids are safe because her kids are vaccinated . . . but the real "herd immunity" argument is based on knowledge that vaccines AREN'T 100% effective. She sounds nasty, but also like she doesn't really understand what she is debating about.
January 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
She sounds like it lol my MIL is a very sweet woman but she also opinionated, I'm wondering if my uneasiness towards vaccinating will bring out her worst. I know its definitely going to be a fight with my mom :/ maybe even DH
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 11th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You can request that your ped. space them out.

Here's some suggestions on spacing via safbaby.com

Recommended Vaccination Schedule

In summary, this is a vaccination schedule that I would recommend:

No vaccinations until a child is two years old.
No vaccines that contain thimerosal (mercury).
No live virus vaccines (except for smallpox, should it recur).

Top 4 Recommended Vaccines

These vaccines, to be given one at a time, every six months, beginning at age 2:
a. Pertussis (acellular, not whole cell)
b. Diphtheria
c. Tetanus
d. Polio (the Salk vaccine, cultured in human cells)

The top four would be the pertussis (acelluar — aP — not whole cell), diphtheria (D), and tetanus (T) vaccines — given separately (not together, as is usually the case); and the Salk polio vaccine, with an inactivated (dead) virus, one that is cultured in human cells, not monkey kidney cells. Perhaps it should only contain these four vaccines.

Just google "alternative accine schedule" and you'll find lots of info. Definitely do your research and then do what's best for *your* family!

January 11th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhD_Bound_Mommy View Post
I'm not sure how Texas vaccinates since my kids got everything in NC, but my doc was awesome. She spaced the shots the way she did for her own kids. The most either of mine got at a time was 2. I also gave tylenol before appointments to my doctors recommendation and never had issues with lethargic behavior, or allergic reactions. (Knock on wood) The best thing to do is trust your gut and do what you feel is the best for your family.
That's awesome on all counts! If we didn't have a family history of reactions, we'd probably still be vaccinating. (unfortunately, in my case, i'd be doing so blindly as I was before, because we didn't research until AFTER a reaction) but, I probably would have done it anyway if I knew my kids wouldn't have a reaction. Why not? If I knew FOR SURE my kids wouldn't have a bad reaction and vaccines were only 10% effective, I'd probably still get them. Why not take the possibility of a benefit when there is no risk? For us, though, not only are there risks, but those risks are a lot higher for our kids specifically, so we don't get them. But this is exactly why I say it makes sense that some ppl vax and some ppl don't. The right decision isn't the same for everyone. What IS best for every kid is different (putting aside the idea that we just do what we "think" is best, which implies it's not actually best lol). Sounds to me like you do what is best for you family and that your doctor is really awesome in how she spaces vaccines
January 11th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good to know. I just changed ped's to one closer to us. So I will find out what they do there when we go in next week.
January 11th, 2013, 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskfet View Post
She sounds like it lol my MIL is a very sweet woman but she also opinionated, I'm wondering if my uneasiness towards vaccinating will bring out her worst. I know its definitely going to be a fight with my mom :/ maybe even DH

If they give you a hard time, tell them you must just be smarter, then send them to this link:

More Educated Mothers Are Less Likely To Vaccinate

LOL

(Don't do that unless they get nasty, though.)

i was surprised how supportive my husband was about stopping vaccinations.
mrskfet likes this.
January 11th, 2013, 06:50 AM
321abc
I didn't read through all of the comments. I respect parents that choose not to vaccinate but I am 100% for it.

Here's my thought process.
Vaccines were created to prevent disease. And they are required for my children to attend public school.
To me, that means they are necessary to keep my child healthy.
There may be children that don't get vaccinate that aren't sick a day in there life and then there are children that do and are sick all the time (I was one of those children though I never was sick with anything I was vaccinated for other than possibly the flu)
The chance of minor side effects out weigh the risk of my child becoming deathly ill from
Something I possibly could have prevented if I were to have him
Vaccinated.
Like I said I'm sure parents who choose not to vaccinate have there reasons, I just choose to for those reasons.
January 11th, 2013, 06:58 AM
321abc
In regards to when they get what I can't remember for sure seems like they get one at the hospital, one or two at 4 and 6 months and then 12 mo is the toughest mine got 4!
One was a follow up flu shot though, it's going around terribly bad in our area right now or I would've opted out. Not a big fan of the flu shot.
January 11th, 2013, 06:59 AM
Hi, Skye. Where do you live? In most places in the US, vaccines are not required to attend public school. You just get an exemption I also don't understand how the first two statements you made would mean that they are necessary to keep your children healthy. (It's a bit like saying prozac is designed to help with depression so you have to take it to not be depressed).

Not all potential side effects are minor, though even if you knew the major ones (such as death) you might still feel the potential benefits outweigh the potential side effects. I think it's great you are deciding what you think is best for your child, but I just want to clear up misconceptions you've stated in case anyone else viewing this thread is on the fence. I'm all about complete and accurate education before making a decision.

I'm not saying you should educate yourself more--your child, your choice!--but for those on the fence, I do encourage them to properly educate themselves so I had to point out the fallacies in your statement that could be misleading to those still on the fence. It's the perfect example of how some people make a decision without really understanding the decision they are making.

(In other words, nothing wrong with your decision, but I would encourage people to come to that decision based on accurate facts and logical thought process)
January 11th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Regular
We are a selective and delayed vaxxing family. My son is 18 mos, and he hasn't had a number of vaccines, including hep. B, hep. A, chickenpox, etc. The vaccines he does get, are spaced out. He is also still breastfed. I found "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears, to be helpful in making our decisions regarding vaccination.
jkbaxter612 and alittlelost like this.
January 11th, 2013, 07:00 AM
round2t's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I honestly never put any thought into it at all yet. With this being my first, it looks like I am quite unprepared! Ahh.

I need to do more research but I appreciate these responses. They help point me in the direction I need to go.
DeletedUser12345 and mrskfet like this.

January 11th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Fins's Avatar Super Mommy
I am both for and against it. I did vax my daughter but I was very clear that she would not be getting more than one vax a trip. At times they wanted to give her 4 to 5 vax at a time and my instinct just told me that it was too much for such a little body.

January 11th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwags View Post
We are a selective and delayed vaxxing family. My son is 18 mos, and he hasn't had a number of vaccines, including hep. B, hep. A, chickenpox, etc. The vaccines he does get, are spaced out. He is also still breastfed. I found "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears, to be helpful in making our decisions regarding vaccination.
That's where I got started, too. I like that the book isn't pro-vax or anti-vax. It's easy to read that book and walk away with any number of possible decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by round2t View Post
I honestly never put any thought into it at all yet. With this being my first, it looks like I am quite unprepared! Ahh.

I need to do more research but I appreciate these responses. They help point me in the direction I need to go.
That is absolutely the best decision you will ever make. Research both sides of these debates, look at the facts without the slants and bias. Discount sources that will make a profit one way or the other based on your decision. You will ultimately find what is the best decision for your child, whether that is vaccinating or not, and that is a great thing to decide when decided upon in an educated manor as you will be
January 11th, 2013, 07:05 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fins View Post
I am both for and against it. I did vax my daughter but I was very clear that she would not be getting more than one vax a trip. At times they wanted to give her 4 to 5 vax at a time and my instinct just told me that it was too much for such a little body.
That was my first issue, with my oldest. Before I made any choices, I told the Pedi that I would prefer to wait.. and then do one at a time. She told me there was 40 vaccines (which I think was false, there are actually 58? I think) and that some are 3 in 1's, or 4 in 1's & that if she let every parent "do as they please" the whole would would "collapse with illness". Not that I mean anything bad by this, but she came from a very poor & basically 3rd world conditions in South America & fed me literally 45 mins of horror stories.

I felt SO bullied.. No reason to bully ANY PARENT. Give them the ACCURATE info on BOTH sides, let them make the choice!

January 11th, 2013, 07:12 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I choose not to. Seven of my children are in school and all I do is sign a waiver every year that says I don't vaccinate due to religious reasons.
alittlelost likes this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
January 11th, 2013, 07:15 AM
321abc
What I mean is, there is a small chance of my child having any major side effects from the vaccines. It never crosses my mind that he will die from his vaccines because it is so uncommon. I'm in texas, I was misinformed of the option to be exempt. Common side effects on my handouts from my child's ped are minor. I don't even know someone that knows someone that's child has had a serious reaction. I agree, parents need to choose what they feel is best for their children.

Prozac isn't a vaccine to prevent depression but the tetanus shot, chicken pox ect are created to prevent those illnesses. I'd much rather prevent it than treat it when it occurs.

If you'll re read what I wrote you'll notice it was all my opinion for my own children, not any misleading facts except the school deal of which I have been mislead about my entire life (still choosing to vaccinate whether its required or nt)

What I mean is, there is a small chance of my child having any major side effects from the vaccines. It never crosses my mind that he will die from his vaccines because it is so uncommon. I'm in texas, I was misinformed of the option to be exempt. Common side effects on my handouts from my child's ped are minor. I don't even know someone that knows someone that's child has had a serious reaction. I agree, parents need to choose what they feel is best for their children.

Prozac isn't a vaccine to prevent depression but the tetanus shot, chicken pox ect are created to prevent those illnesses. I'd much rather prevent it than treat it when it occurs.

If you'll re read what I wrote you'll notice it was all my opinion for my own children, not any misleading facts except the school deal of which I have been mislead about my entire life (still choosing to vaccinate whether its required or nt)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search