BTDT Moms - Breast pumps

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 8miraclez
  • 1 Post By crawmommy
  • 1 Post By mommy220
  • 1 Post By edgeofelise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 3rd, 2013, 08:17 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know I need to check with my insurance about a free pump, but...

As a stay at home mom, will I really need a $300 fancy pump? I registered for a Avent manual pump because I'm just not sure how much I'll be pumping. Someone please give me advice on this!! I have no idea.
February 3rd, 2013, 08:33 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I liked my manual avent pump for occasional pumping. If you plan to miss a feeding now and then, I'd get a single electric pump just because it does get tiring.
Hopeful2BMommy likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
February 3rd, 2013, 08:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved my Medela PISA when I was a working mom. As a SAHM, I used the manual pump every so often just to get a bottle for DH to feed DS. I think I took out the electric on maybe 5 times...
February 3rd, 2013, 08:53 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it depends on if your working or not Amy...and then I would say depending on how often youd like to pump...and also depending on if baby has any problems nursing. I personally am getting the top of the line medela because DD wouldnt latch because of nipple shape. And the cheap kind do not help with keeping a decent supply up. Altho Id suggest a cheapie single electric may be best if your gonna be SAHM and want the occasional bottle for DH or if your away from baby.

February 3rd, 2013, 09:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan to apply for the best they'll offer and I intend on being a SAHM. However, I do know that maybe in 6 months I will have to return to the workforce or get a graduate assistantship or something which will mean more pumping. I intend on breastfeeding for at least 18 months (probably will shoot for 2 years) and would like to pump to keep up my supply. So, while in the short-term I don't intend to use the pump a lot I'm thinking of the long-term and for the next baby (IF I decide to have a third!).

BTW, if my insurance company is willing to pay for a similar pump to my medela I will be putting my old medela pump up for sale. It is used but very clean. The bag it came in took a severe beating (I also used it to haul lunches/snacks and the tubberware stuff kept pulling at the fabric). All the accessories will need to be purchased but I intend to price my old pump to keep the total overall cost to about $80. It was used for only a year on part-time hours with an average of 2 pumps per day around 15-30 minutes at a time.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

February 3rd, 2013, 09:38 PM
Veteran
I've been a SAHM and love my swing!!! By Medela!! Best pump ever! It's a single electric that can plug into your wall or car or can use batteries!

I personally thought it was a complete waste to have a manual took forever!! And won't keep your supply up like a two stage (pumps with two rythms like a baby for natural letdown) Medela will!

Also!! Check the back of toys r us catalogue they ALWAYS have coupons in the back!!
At least in Canada! You can even get them online!

It's 189.97 online in canada( probably cheaper in us)
Oh I guess it's 219.00 regular price! But is on sale online!

Also it's lasted for my three kids I've had so far and my sil borrowed it for a child this year (she got new tubing and shields)

One last point! It's worth buying a good one off the bat! You can waste more on cheaper ones!

Last edited by farmfourmama; February 3rd, 2013 at 09:46 PM.
February 3rd, 2013, 09:47 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
For most of the years I've spent nursing babies, I didn't even have a pump. Never needed it at all. I had to go back to work when my youngest was a baby, though, so I was able to get a good double pump. I'll keep it but I'm honestly hoping I never have to use it again. If you plan to pump somewhat regularly, it really is worth it to get a better electric one. I would personally say that a manual pump is only suitable for emergency or very occasional situations.

Robert: 20 Raechel: 18 Daniel: 15 Joseph: 13 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 7 Lucy Marie: 5 John Anthony: 2 AND Baby due Dec. 2015

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w); Francis (7-4-12 @12w); Charlie (1-19-15 @ 6w)

Congratulations Raechel and Kaleb, married May, 2015

February 4th, 2013, 01:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If you are going to have more kids spend the money just skip the bs and buy a double electric medela. It is a good investment.
MamaSkunk likes this.

February 4th, 2013, 02:55 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be retuning to work when she is 5-6 months old so I need a good double electric. I got rid of my old one. I started adding in a pumping session right away because I liked to have a good supply of milk in the freezer for emergencies. I am weird like that! I got stressed if my freezer supply was low!
MerinSun likes this.

February 4th, 2013, 04:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I used the pump only when at work. Then I wanted to pump as quick as possible

February 4th, 2013, 08:22 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second the Medela Swing. That's what I have and it's great. I went back to work very part time when DD was 3 months old and it was nice to have a small freezer stash. I never left the house without her other than for work until she was 7 months old, but this time I totally will make more time for myself and leave the baby at home with DH for a few hours with a couple of bottles. The first time I went out on my own just for fun after having DD, I cried with overwhelming relief. I didn't know how much it had affected me to never be alone for a second. Uh, ooops. That's probably a topic for another thread, lol.
MerinSun likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

February 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
A manual would be fine for an occasional pumped bottle, but I would also recommend getting an electric one. I've used the Ameda Purely Yours (cheaper than the Medela but works just as good) and the Medela Pump in Style. I went out of town once for a weekend when Abri was 18 months and forgot my pump. She was only nursing twice a day by then anyway, so I just picked up a manual at Target and that lasted me through the weekend away no problem.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search