Car seat police

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By Sawyers_Mommy
  • 2 Post By MommaTooters
  • 1 Post By JennyBaby2013
  • 1 Post By mojomama
  • 2 Post By MommaTooters
  • 1 Post By MommaTooters
  • 1 Post By SaraSmiles

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Sawyers_Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure we have atleast one here lol so I have a question-

I was looking to get DS1 this carseat - Purchase the Safety 1st All-in-One Convertible Car Seat at an always low price from Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.

I've seen on some of the other just back-less boosters and high-back boosters that they have a latch system to hold them into place in the seat.

My question is do you have to have a latch system? My car doesn't have one so how would the carseat stay in the car? Does the seat belt keep it in?

I'm going to keep him in the harness for a while longer but just asking for the future when he would go into the high back booster with the seat belt

February 12th, 2013, 02:59 PM
MommaTooters's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*Just my opinion (okay- and that of other car seat freaks), I'm not a fan of that seat!

Anyhow. On to your question....

No, LATCH does not have to be used. It's one or the other. You use the seatbelt if you don't have LATCH or don't want to use it. When the seat becomes a booster (where they are no longer harnessed) you just route the seatbelt through the proper belt path for the booster position and then buckle the child in.

February 12th, 2013, 03:02 PM
Ok thanks!

Why don't you like that seat? I'm trying to find a good convertible one but not too expensive if you have any suggestions!

Ok just realized I posted a link to a different carseat LOL here is the one I would like to get- Graco Nautilus 3-in-1 Bravo Multi-Use Baby Car Seat ? Walmart.com
JennyBaby2013 likes this.

February 12th, 2013, 03:09 PM
It's just doesn't have the best safety ratings, kids outgrow it quickly, and what not.

Get the Graco you linked to. We have it and LOVE it! BUT it's not a rear facing seat...not sure if you still have him rear facing. It's is one of the seats highly recommended my car seat techs that isn't crazy expensive. Great seat, great ratings, not as easy to outgrow, super easy to use and install.

February 12th, 2013, 03:25 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never personally seen a booster (backless or high back) that has a latch system. Boosters just use the seat belt themselves to go across the child and hold the child and seat in.

As far as that seat goes, we had one very similar with ODD. My first car didn't have latch, and I used the seat belt to buckle it in, my second car had an anchor system. We really liked the seat... we had one in each car. We never used it as a booster though. Once DD outgrew the harness we switched to a regular high back booster which she is on now. That one was just very bulky and she couldn't buckle herself (which she likes to do) and if I ever needed to take it out for any reason, it was just very cumbersome.

Personally, I would still have her in the harness if I could. She's still well within the height and weight for the harness, but when I pick her up and drop her off in a huge line of quickly moving vehicles for school, it's a little more difficult. Plus she's very independent and likes to buckle herself. There's no way she could get the middle buckle between the legs done. Plus, past 5, even as tiny as my DD is, that seat wasn't really comfortable for her anymore. Even though the weight and height go to a certain amount, the seat didn't seem to be made to hold a child that size.

What kind of seat is he in now? Does he have a forward facing harness seat? I would just leave him in that until he outgrows the harness. Harness is safest... keep him in it as long as possible. In Ohio, they have to stay in a harness until they are 4 years old or 40 pounds anyway (She's just BARELY over 40 lbs now at 6 1/2.). And then in a booster until at least age 8 or a height of 4'9''. Payge was past her 5 YO birthday before I let her out of the harness.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, you'll want to take in to account your state's laws, his age and size, how many years of use it will get, and whether or not you will want a plain old high back booster once he's out of the harness.

**These are just my opinions... I'm not a safety seat police woman. I know harnessing is the safest option, but I do NOT know much about particular seats. I'm just going based on what we used in the past and what worked for us and what didn't.

February 12th, 2013, 03:36 PM
lovelyenchanted's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTooters View Post
It's just doesn't have the best safety ratings, kids outgrow it quickly, and what not.

Get the Graco you linked to. We have it and LOVE it! BUT it's not a rear facing seat...not sure if you still have him rear facing. It's is one of the seats highly recommended my car seat techs that isn't crazy expensive. Great seat, great ratings, not as easy to outgrow, super easy to use and install.

Tara -- what's a good resource for finding the safety ratings and the ratings given by users?

February 12th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Awesome, thanks! He is forward facing so I think I'll get this one!

The 1st picture was one I was looking at for DS2 for when he can sit up ( thats when I change to rear facing convertible) but think I'll look for a different one. Do you have sugestion for a covertible one that goes to a booster and rear facing?

February 12th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelyenchanted View Post
I've never personally seen a booster (backless or high back) that has a latch system. Boosters just use the seat belt themselves to go across the child and hold the child and seat in.

As far as that seat goes, we had one very similar with ODD. My first car didn't have latch, and I used the seat belt to buckle it in, my second car had an anchor system. We really liked the seat... we had one in each car. We never used it as a booster though. Once DD outgrew the harness we switched to a regular high back booster which she is on now. That one was just very bulky and she couldn't buckle herself (which she likes to do) and if I ever needed to take it out for any reason, it was just very cumbersome.

Personally, I would still have her in the harness if I could. She's still well within the height and weight for the harness, but when I pick her up and drop her off in a huge line of quickly moving vehicles for school, it's a little more difficult. Plus she's very independent and likes to buckle herself. There's no way she could get the middle buckle between the legs done. Plus, past 5, even as tiny as my DD is, that seat wasn't really comfortable for her anymore. Even though the weight and height go to a certain amount, the seat didn't seem to be made to hold a child that size.

What kind of seat is he in now? Does he have a forward facing harness seat? I would just leave him in that until he outgrows the harness. Harness is safest... keep him in it as long as possible. In Ohio, they have to stay in a harness until they are 4 years old or 40 pounds anyway (She's just BARELY over 40 lbs now at 6 1/2.). And then in a booster until at least age 8 or a height of 4'9''. Payge was past her 5 YO birthday before I let her out of the harness.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, you'll want to take in to account your state's laws, his age and size, how many years of use it will get, and whether or not you will want a plain old high back booster once he's out of the harness.

**These are just my opinions... I'm not a safety seat police woman. I know harnessing is the safest option, but I do NOT know much about particular seats. I'm just going based on what we used in the past and what worked for us and what didn't.
He is in a forward facing harness right now. I want to get him one that will convert to a high back booster for when we decide to use the seat belt.

The only thing I could find for our state is that they have to ride in a booster until 8yrs OR 80lbs

February 12th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Also I have a small car so looking for something thats not huge or bulky

February 12th, 2013, 06:39 PM
JennyBaby2013's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The Graco Nautilus is great! Paige and Matthew both have one.
Sawyers_Mommy likes this.
Jacob (10) Matthew (7) Paige (5)
& Liliana (0)

Liliana Eve 1/14/13 ~ 8lbs 2oz and 19"

February 12th, 2013, 06:45 PM
mojomama's Avatar Super Mommy
I have the Safety 1ST seat and absolutely hate it. In addition to the cons already listed, the straps twist more than any other carseat I have ever owned.
I was going to suggest the Evenflo Titan, but it does not turn into a booster, so maybe it wouldn't be great for your older kid. However, it does harness up to 50 lbs; it might be an option for when Marshall moves out of the bucket seat. It has a pretty small footprint, making it a good choice for small vehicles... Or for those of us with big vehicles and lots of car seats- I currently have three of them plus a booster in my van :-)

wife to Michael, mama to Zoe (13), Selene (9), Garvin (7), Gwen (4), Thomas (2.5), and a bonus surprise, due 30 April 2016
February 12th, 2013, 07:14 PM
Thanks ladies

Now to bribe DH into getting a carseat we don't techinally 'need' right now hehe

February 12th, 2013, 07:50 PM
Sorry fir the delay and short response...I have no time these days!

This website is an awesome resource. Many, many passionate and experienced car seat techs. Not just the local fireman! I know that sounds bad and there may be a really good tech at the fire/police station but most are not anywhere near as knowledgable as they could/should be!

http://www.car-seat.org/

February 12th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Tyra your phone spellings crack me up LOL

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!

February 13th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyers_Mommy View Post
Tyra your phone spellings crack me up LOL

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!
LOL! Should I admit that it's from my iPad...which has a bigger keyboard. But it still has a mind of its own!!

February 13th, 2013, 04:35 PM
SaraSmiles's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The "Babies First Ride" people at the hospital I delivered told me that the brand safety first make the worst car seats lol. That is actually what I have, a safety first car seat, and he did not hesitate to express his honest opinion to me. He says stay with chicco and graco.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the awesome siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search