For those of you who have used a baby carrier...

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MrsLisaT
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2013, 05:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Would you recommend using an something like and Ergo or one of the similar ones for hikes? Hubby and I love doing hikes in the mountains, sometimes they get pretty steep, and I can't really find information on how these carriers hold up for more strenuous hikes. I know there are special backpacking baby carriers but they cost a fortune! I put an Ergo on our registry since from reviews it sounds the most promising but I would love to hear the opinions from you ladies who actually have experience using one.
February 13th, 2013, 06:33 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Yep, an Ergo would be no different than a hiking-specific carrier. Baby actually sits a bit lower, which would help with your center-of-gravity. Plus, those backpack carriers are "crotch danglers" which means they don't properly support baby's hips and back (but rather dangles them by the crotch). Plus, you will use he Ergo everywhere, not just hiking, which is probably not the case with a hiking backpack. Kieran lived in the ring sling, ergo, and now the kinderpack. It's so convenient!
February 13th, 2013, 06:39 AM
usnwifey9's Avatar Veteran
I've never been hiking with DS before or used the Ergo, but I do have a baby carrier that is very similar to it called the Baby Trekker . It is super comfy and padded albeit at times perhaps a little bulky for everyday use, but it does the trick and offers the support needed (IMO) to carry baby for any extended period of time. I got it mainly to use as a carrier for DS when he was about 3mos old and we had to fly solo from one side of the globe to the other (24+ hrs of traveling), but I've also used it during grocery shopping trips and the occasional game of Dance Dance Revolution, lol. (He was about 2yrs old then ;P.) I contemplated getting an Ergo for this little one, but since the carriers are so similar in both design and price I figured I'd just stick to the Baby Trekker . You can check out the carrier at:

the babyTrekker baby carrier - what COMFORT feels like

They also have a carrier comparison chart that includes the Ergo, so you can see how the Baby Trekker features compare to the Ergo's and a couple other popular carriers . Hope that helps and good luck carrier shopping!

February 13th, 2013, 07:10 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When DS was little, I used an Infantino brand baby carrier, it was a front pack type one that would be for when they're little babies. I still have the carrier and I found it very comfortable. I'm not sure what kind of range of age you're looking at for use, but this one was great for when DS was small, and you can use it as soon as they're able to hold their head up by themselves. I went on many long walks with him in it, in the winter/spring/summer in Alaska on dirt trails. He didn't care for the fanfare of getting into it (I had to bundle him up pretty good in the winter--sometimes went walking at 0 degrees outside), but once we were all set up and walking he almost always fell asleep. I felt it was comfortable and easy to use. I can pull it out and try to find more info on it if you like (such as what style or model it is).

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 13th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
I can pull it out and try to find more info on it if you like (such as what style or model it is).
That would be great! It is hard knowing what the right choice is when it's not something I can really test out until baby is here.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback!!
EverydayJoy likes this.
February 13th, 2013, 09:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I used the Ergo with my second - it was great for hikes, though she HATED it so it was used very infrequently. I used the Moby wrap with my first for hikes, or just in general until she was 14 months old.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
February 13th, 2013, 04:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont know what an Ergo is but i did use a front carrier with both my kids and i loved it. I am getting a new one because mine is really worn out.
February 13th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Memi's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I loved our Ergo with DS. I would think using an Ergo with baby on your back when they're older would be ideal for hiking.
Expecting #3 in January 2016!

February 13th, 2013, 08:38 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a beco butterfly 2 and use it for both walking and hiking, LOVE it!

February 13th, 2013, 08:52 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's a link on Ebay, I found the same carrier as I have at home:
Ebay: Infantino carrier
It's not sold new anymore, because it's an older "model"---I believe I got it secondhand when DS was born (3 years ago). I'm sure you could just buy whatever the latest one is by Infantino that is similar to this one, but this is the exact one I had. Hope that helps!
MrsLisaT likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 14th, 2013, 10:30 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Team Ergo here! And it goes up to 40lbs, believe it or not. I was still using it to hike with DD when she was over 2 years old and she really liked it. It's also great for both men and women to wear, because it fits a little broader across the back.

February 14th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via MSN to Skimboardin Mama Send a message via Yahoo to Skimboardin Mama
I wore dd as much as possible and pan to do the same this time. I'd go with the. Ergo or moby! We want an ergo this time and looooved our moby. We had an infantino and another brand from target before the moby but hurt our backs and shoulders.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search