Importance of the meaning of baby's name?

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Hesperleigh
  • 2 Post By PhD_Bound_Mommy
  • 1 Post By Norwegian mom
  • 1 Post By alittlelost

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I've never chosen a baby name because of the meaning, but the meaning of my girls names (Mighty in Battle, Little Bird, and Noble) are all fine.

Would you ever consider a name that had a negative meaning? And I don't mean negative connotation--for instance, Claude means "lame" or "crippled" (arguably a meaning most people wouldn't celebrate) where as Adolph has a negative connotation because of the infamy of Adolph Hitler.

So, if you loved a name but the meaning just kind of sucked, would you still consider it, or would you scrap it and keep looking for something else?

February 17th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Probably not the neg connotation, but I don't put a ton of stock in meaning. For instance, in German Haeden means heathen. Honestly, I didn't realize it until after I chose it. I only saw the English meaning at first, which just means hay meadow or something boring like that. Also, Haeden is often a total heathen these days, so it has become a bit of a joke in the family.
Ray88 likes this.

February 17th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With both DS and DD I was obsessed with the meanings of their names. DS's full name mean's One Who Is Blessed By A Dark Stranger With Fire. DD's means Peaceful Flowers from the Red Meadow Bring Joy.

I haven't looked up the meaning to the names we've chosen right now, but most likely I will, but I won't change them regardless of negative or positive connotation with the name.
Hesperleigh and Ray88 like this.
February 17th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
PS. Everyone looks at me crazy when I tell them my name is Hesper. They usually ask where it came from and I explain it was in a baby book, it is Greek and means "first evening star". They love that part! Mom wanted something different and she sure found it. Of course, dad wanted to name me Cassiopeia. Thankful she won. They totally deny being on drugs when choosing names, but I don't know! lol

February 17th, 2013, 03:11 PM
First time mommy
I havent really looked up the meanings of the names we've chosen but i know i was named for the meaning of my name. Kama which means wished for. Im the youngest of three and the only girl.
February 17th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love Hesper. It's beautiful. DS is half greek. And even though his dad isn't in the picture, his mom is and she's very into her heritage. So when I was 8 weeks preggo with him I was the middle car in a three car pile up. The engine and trunk were both in the front seat with me. Took them over an hour to get me out of my car. So when I was looking at names, I came across Karston which is greek meaning One who is blessed, and I thought, that is the most fitting name.
February 17th, 2013, 03:23 PM
Norwegian mom's Avatar Veteran
I don't care about the meaning.
Ray88 likes this.
February 17th, 2013, 03:29 PM
DeletedUser12345's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I definitely would not do a name that is negative. I dont mind other children with negative meanings behind them.. and most of the time I dont even know the meanings anyway.. but when it comes to names for my children, I personally want one that means something nice. If nobody else knows, at least I will.
February 17th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it depends on to what degree is it "negative" -- the boy's name we chose has a perfectly good, positive meaning behind it. But it's associated in some "areas" to mean "bad luck" :\ I don't like the bad luck thing, but never knew it until way after we chose it. Regardless, we decided we like the name and it's POSITIVE meaning

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

February 17th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like cool name meanings but its not the main concern as long as the meaning isn't too crazy. I agree with Jamie that I wouldn't want something too negative, like I wouldn't use "Adolf" or "Manson" haha. But Cameron means "crooked nose" and I would probably still use it if I LOVED the name "Cameron" or something. Kieran Todd means "Little dark clever fox" Lol! I just take that to mean he's going to be smart and mischievous. Lol but some people might not like the "dark" part, though I'm pretty sure it means dark haired or skinned. One of our other top names for a boy was "Ares" which is the Greek god of war. Some people might think that seems negative, but I think it would be pretty cool to have a name like that, especially since it's from mythology. What an empowering name, not to say I love war or anything either! I assure you I don't, but as far as mythological names go, it's pretty cool for a little boy. haha

I know my parents took it into concern though. I love my first name meaning. It means "helper of mankind". My brother's mean "God is my judge" (Daniel) and my sister's (Abigail) is "my father rejoices".

Last edited by Allie_SMg; February 17th, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
February 17th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Wildflower's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It really depends! Names with huge negative connotations, probably not. I am pretty sure Alice means "high tower" and Orion means "mountain of urine" or something rediculous. When a name is *perfect* those things dont really matter to me. Our boy name was Ilya (will be our boy name for the next baby too) which has no meaning except russian varriant of Elijah. LOL.

February 17th, 2013, 07:46 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
nice name meanings are cool, but no big deal to me.
Ray88 likes this.
February 18th, 2013, 07:40 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm big on meanings of names for my kids, but other people's kids don't bother me

February 18th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Kaisia's Avatar Veteran
Having a cool meaning is great, but on a day-to-day basis, most people (including my kid probably) won't know or care what it means but rather how it sounds and what connotations they have of it.
February 18th, 2013, 02:34 PM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm huge into meaning. My kids names mean:

Goddess of the moon
Of the sea
Great
God is my Judge

I liked the name Melanie but it means dark clothed so I had to nix it.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
February 18th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Super Mommy
DH is big on meanings and biblical ones at that. Michaela is "Who is like God" and I'm happy she was a girl bc if not he would've fought for a Michael. I don't hate the name its just too common for my taste. So, its pretty safe to say we will never have a Jezebel lol. I'll be interested to see what he comes up with this time for a girl since Michaela was the only one in the book we have that we agreed on. His other two picks were Ariel and Naomi. But when I reminded him he asked what he was thinking so we will see.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search