HELLP Syndrome

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By misty3281
  • 2 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By crunchywannabe
  • 2 Post By crunchywannabe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 26th, 2013, 02:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Isn't that a lovely name for it eh... Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this?

I had my blood glucose test done today, and thankfully passed, unlike some of you, I was worried because I always feel so jittery after eating sugary foods, I thought I was going to fail. So that was a nice surprise.

Unfortunately, my midwife said that there was some liver enzyme present that she wasn't liking, that combined with high (for me, still within 'normal' range) bp today, and a little discomfort on my right hand side, and trace amounts of protein in my urine, She is worried about HELLP Syndrome. I googled it... bad idea, from what I can see treatment is to deliver baby... that's about all...

But she is sending me for more blood work (locally thankfully!) so I should know more then.

T&P appreciated, and if you have any stories about this, PLEASE share! I feel so much better knowing if others have gone through the same thing.

February 26th, 2013, 02:17 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry I don't know anything about that, but Kary had bloodworm done a few days ago to test for the same thing so she may be able to she'd some light on it for you. Hope everything comes back ok. Will be praying for you.

Ok so maybe that should say bloodwork and not bloodworm. Stupid auto correct.

Last edited by misty3281; February 26th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
February 26th, 2013, 04:59 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Hi, sorry you are going through this scare. I just went through this myself yesterday, but thankfully my blood work up was normal. I did a lot of research and afterwards felt better bc of all the success stories. There are different levels of severity, depending on what your platelet levels are. I do know you have to meet all 3 criteria from the intitals of the syndrome to be diagnosed. HELLP stands for H=Hemolysis EL =Elevated Liver Enzymes LP=Low Platelets

If you are diagnosed, you would most likely deliver early for the sake of your health and the baby's health. If you are diagnosed at 34 weeks or later, they deliver you. If you are diagnosed before 34 weeks, they may take a wait and see approach, but I believe you have to be admitted to the hospital for close monitoring and there is still a chance they may have to deliver the baby. The liver is the issue...if there are elevated enzymes, it means your liver isn't working properly. The liver has all kinds of functions in your body, including producing bile, which helps carry away waste, and regulating blood clotting. If your liver is severely impaired, it could result in toxemia.

It's scary, but they will keep a close on you. How many weeks are you now? Also, try to stay positive until you have your blood work back. Keep us posted.
February 26th, 2013, 05:57 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you are hearing this from your midwife. How long till you get your blood work results? (Thankfully they don't take blood by worm these days )
misty3281 and rheaimedved like this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
February 26th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverydayJoy View Post
I'm sorry you are hearing this from your midwife. How long till you get your blood work results? (Thankfully they don't take blood by worm these days )
That is a silver lining if I've ever seen one!

I should find out tomorrow afternoon, or Thursday at the latest. I had my results back in under 3 hours today! I'm not sure what difference the location makes though.
EverydayJoy likes this.

February 27th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Let us know when you know more! Glad it should be pretty fast.

February 27th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Went in for more blood work today. The nurse who took my blood took it from the oposite arm they took from yesterday because it was so bruised up. She poked me in the side of my arm, and it was actually pretty uncomfortable. Ugh, I just hate needles, when it is more uncomfortable it just makes it worse!

The good news is that the results that came back said that although I still have high levels of liver enzyme, the other indicators of hellp aren't present. I will however now be closely monitored for other symptoms and high BP on a weekly basis, which means a lot more driving (midwife is an hour away) but well worth it for a baby that can cook for another few weeks!!!
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

February 28th, 2013, 07:23 AM
I'm glad you got some good news! Hope the liver enzymes normalize for you.
Ugh I feel you with getting stuck. When I was pregnant with DS, the last two weeks, I had to go in every day for an IV infusion of antibiotics. I was able to keep the same IV port for usually about 3 days at most before it started itching, and they'd have to change it out and poke me again. I can testify that the ones on the side of the arm do hurt a lot worse! The skin is so sensitive there. Yuck! Glad you're done with that.

February 28th, 2013, 07:39 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Yeah, that's good news! I hope you continue to stay free of all the symptoms of HELLP - I know how scary that can be.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search