Tilted uterus leading to misdiagnosed miscarriages??

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By L-SBB

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 1st, 2013, 02:14 PM
rebel86's Avatar Regular
As a lot of you know, I received terrifying news on Wednesday about having an empty sac and was told I will miscarry.
OF COURSE I am having a tough time accepting this. So I've started to do research. I've read that having a tilted uterus (which I have) can commonly lead to misdiagnosed miscarriages in early pregnancy because the uterus is still so far down in the pelvis, it can cause the baby to be "hidden". Women have opted out of a D&C and waited to miscarry naturally only to find out a few weeks later that the baby is there a perfectly healthy.
I'm not trying to get my hopes up about this because I don't think I can handle anymore disappointment with this pregnancy, but I'm reaching out to you ladies to find out if this is something that has happened to you or anyone you know?
And just for the record, I WILL NOT be getting a D&C. No how, no way. If the baby is gone, then I can accept it when it happens.
March 1st, 2013, 02:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wish I knew something about this...I don't have a tilted uterus and don't really know what it would mean for pregnancy. I hope that this is the case for you though - please keep us posted. I can't imagine all the emotions for you right now -HUGS

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
March 1st, 2013, 02:23 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
I know several women who were told early on that baby's growth was behind and it was considered a threatened m/c...this was usually based on a very early (pre-7wk) scan who then at a later scan (8-10wks) they were able to better see & establish a hb.

If you are concerned, ask for another scan and ask them to do two blood draws (spaced a couple days apart)...if your hcg level is falling (absent a vanishing twin scenario, which is rare) then a m/c is inevitable and will give you an answer...if it is rising, there is always hope and you should then be brought in for another scan - as the baby gets bigger, no matter how tilted your uterus is, they should eventually be able to definitely see baby & hb if the pregnancy is continuing to progress.

I am very sorry you are going through this, I think everyone woman who has experienced a m/c has had similar thoughts & worries about "could they be wrong?" ((((HUGS))))
Keakie and AIK112018 like this.
March 1st, 2013, 02:37 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
usually when this is the case the baby can be pretty easily seen by 8/9 weeks when misdiagnosed at an earlier time. the baby would just be too small to be seen before possibly. i'd think if they can find the sac they should be able to see somethign by that point. did you have an abdominal or transvaginal ultrasound this time? Did the sac grow but still no baby seen??

I'm so sorry you're going through this. i hope they just missed something. would they do a rescan in a week or two for you?

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!
March 1st, 2013, 03:39 PM
kaylacaroline's Avatar Veteran
I have had the same problem. I have a very tilted uterus and have to "crab" on the table to get a view of baby. Because of this, my first pregnancy was hard to diagnose as a miscarriage. It took weeks and I opted for natural miscarriage as well. No way was I going to make a decision like that when no one really knew for sure. I did miscarry but I also had the same issue this time around. The tech told me there wasn't anything in the sack, but I refused to believe it. So, I tilted my pelvis way up and she dug around. Sure enough, there was a baby.

I'm not saying it will go either way for you, but I feel your pain. My situation with both my pregnancies has been so similar to yours.

Definitely let nature take its course. And don't give up. If you make it a few more weeks without miscarrying, get another ultrasound.

I know exactly how devastating this can be, not knowing and expecting the worse.

Sending a million good vibes and hugs your way.

March 1st, 2013, 03:43 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
I have a friend from these boards that had exactly what you are describing happen. I've asked her to come by and give her input, but haven't gotten a response yet. She's out of town so I'm not sure if she'll see my message right away.

In the awesome event that your pregnancy is still viable, how far along would you be?

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

March 1st, 2013, 03:50 PM
AIK112018's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great advice from these ladies, i could not have said it better. I hope for the best outcome for you, and please, KUP when you can!
March 1st, 2013, 03:58 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I have absolutely nothing useful to add, but I wanted to send some and say that I hope you have some definitive answers soon (and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that baby was just hiding)!

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
March 1st, 2013, 04:04 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have been told I have a tilted uterus as well...but I hve no knowledge abt this...I am praying for a good outcome for you!

March 1st, 2013, 05:52 PM
TaraJo29's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a tilted uterus as well. FYI, it seems to me that it's just about as common as non-tilted and probably isn't even "abnormal" at all. That said, I think the chance of a miscarriage mis-diagnosis, tilted uterus or not, increases the early you are. When I hear a diagnosis of a miscarriage or blighted ovum at only 6 weeks it irritates me because I think that's too early to diagnose it. If they are off on dates by just days and the baby was actually 5 weeks, it is no wonder they didn't see the baby in the sac. You can see the sac first on ultrasound.

However, if you are really 8+ weeks then it would be very unlikely that they wouldn't see the baby, if he/she were in there. I have had the same thing happen to me and they called it a "blighted ovum" because there was no baby there at all (the baby either didn't develop at all or died so early it was absorbed), but the sac and all was there.

I'm so sorry. I agree with you that you can never know for "sure" and that there is no reason to have a D&C. It commonly takes two whole weeks to miscarry, though, even in this state. It took 2 whole weeks from the date I found out to miscarry naturally. It was such a looooooong horrible wait, and the actual event is also horrible, but D&C is surgery and I didn't want to do it for that reason, plus the slim chance that the docs were wrong.

I'm so sorry. Being cautious makes total sense. Don't do anything you don't want to do. There is zero need to make any hasty decisions that you could wonder about later. But I also wouldn't get your hopes up too much. Maybe you could ask for another ultrasound in 1 week to ease your mind either way?

[/url]
March 1st, 2013, 07:04 PM
mommy2lilmen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I to have a tilted uterus and its posed some uncertainty in my pregnancies befor even in dating the baby early on. This is why among many other reasosn why my dr refuses to give an early ultrasound. IF you feel absolutely necessary I would get another opinion, honestly I would!
4 babies 94,95,99, 08~TL April 2003 & Sept 2013 TR May 2008

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Blessed with 1 son with Autism and 1 daughter with Down Syndrome child she was also born with Pulmonary Hypertension, Oxygen dependence, complete AVSD, Hirschsprungs, GJ tube dependant and many more health issues
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
March 1st, 2013, 07:06 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
I agree with the ladies above. When I had my miscarriages in the 7th week the doctor would turn some sort of option on the screen that shows blood flow...like this:

http://4dultrasoundscans.com/wp-cont...ultrasound.jpg

In my ultrasounds for the miscarriages they were never able to see a heartbeat or blood flow...I had already had spotting so I was pretty sure it was a missed miscarriage.

It wouldn't hurt to get a re-check and I don't blame you for not wanting to get a D&C.

When they did your ultrasound were they looking abdominally or vaginally? If abdominal I would request a vaginal one. They would be able to get a much better view that way.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop
March 2nd, 2013, 12:16 AM
Happy Song's Avatar Nicole
I am so sorry for everything you are going through. I have had multiple losses and I just wanted to tell you that you have plenty of time to allow your body to take care of it's self before your health is at risk. My doctor refuses to do ANYTHING without two ultrasounds. He says you cannot track growth with a single point.

I would also like to add that while definitely unpleasant none of my losses were particularly painful physically. After my second loss the u/s verified a small amount of matter left over and my doctor again opted not to do a D&C. It came out on it's own and I was able to TTC as soon as my cycle returned.

Again hugs.

Last edited by Happy Song; March 2nd, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
March 2nd, 2013, 09:59 AM
MandersM's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have nothing really to add...I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you & my fingers are crossed for a positive outcome!
2nd GP Appt: 02/20 - wasn't able to pick up a heartbeat
3rd GP Appt: 02-21 - due to spotting, still no hb
1st U/S: 02/25 - 10wk u/s due to spotting > saw the hb and our little blob!!
NPT U/S: 03/15 - got a wave from our LO!! And all looks well. We went public!!
3rd GP Appt: 03/22 - heard the hb...157!
1st OB Appt: 04/22 - LOVE my OB. She doesn't rush, as is pretty knowledgable about crohn's and pregnancy. hb = 159!
20wk u/s: 05/06 - Loved seeing our little babe again! Tech was very tight lipped though, and no medical info was given. And we're holding off on the gender until the reveal party!!
Reveal Party: 05/18 - IT'S A GIRL!!!!
OB Appt: 05/22 -

Make a pregnancy ticker
January 25th, 2017, 10:06 PM
Did you ever miscarry? I'm going through this right now and I was told I misscarried but I'm still very much in denial ),:

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search