BTDT: Cloth Diapering and Other question..

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By rverrone11
  • 1 Post By ~AmazedByYou~
  • 1 Post By Purple_cat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 5th, 2013, 07:36 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Well, we crunched some numbers and got crunchy.

Ordered 24 flats, 5 diaper covers, doublers/inserts, wetbag, etc...

Guess we're gonna try this stuff O.o

Last edited by CrochetingMama; March 6th, 2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Updated
March 5th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Depending what you want for cloth dipes it isn't a huge start up cost upfront. What were you looking at for diapers?

You can get wipes pretty cheap or you could make your own from flannel. I'm not handy at all so I'm no help there. I DO use cloth wipes both for diaper purposes and for faces/hands. I use obviously different wipes so I keep them separate. I make my own wipes solution from Castile soap, water and a touch of tea tree oil. I have a small spray bottle ( tiny travel bottle ) I use to wet the wipes on the go. I use a small double sided wet bag for my wipes one side dry clean wipes and spray bottle other side for wet soiled wipes. For cloth wipes for diapers I either pre moisten a bunch ahead of time (not a ton, they will mildew :/) and use a plastic tub type container I have or l'll use the same spray as needed technique it all depends on my day. I make up solution in a peri bottle and store it in there. It take a sec so I don't make a lot at a time.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

March 5th, 2013, 08:56 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
In the long run the diapers save a lot of money though Get a trial pack to see which kinds you like before you invest in one kind. you might end up preferring the prefolds and those are pretty cheap! If you don't mind used then just buy several different kinds to try, what you don't end up liking you can resell, diapers keep their resale value quite well. For wipes I mostly use cheapie baby wash cloths lol. I liked them better than any wipes I had.
March 5th, 2013, 09:12 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
We were thinking prefolds with covers. But they said even doing that is like 200.00 start up to make sure you have enough so that you're not washing diapers every day. We would theoretically be doing cloth during the day, disposies at night.

I like the baby washcloth deal. Very little involved there. would need that recipe for the stuff you spray on though.

I'm just shocked that he's interested, at all. HE is the one who brought it up!

March 5th, 2013, 09:21 PM
*Anya*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Prefolds are about $30 a dozen, you'd need 2-3 dozen, you can get just one and a few covers to start out with and see how things go. This site has thristies (great covers) on sale right now
Thirsties DUO Wrap - Aplix

as for the wipes spray, I used to just wet them under the faucet before I needed to clean baby. never used any solutions, water cleans quite well You will need either wet bags or pail liners for dirty diaper storage. Diaper safe detergent and diaper safe cream. It's overwhelming to try and think it all through, but once you start and get in the groove it'l be 2nd nature
March 5th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've tried all different kinds of cloth diapers between my two daughters, and DH and I both like the cheapest....flat diapers with covers. We use them day and night. We also use cloth wipes (and I make my own). We have never used a wipe solution. We just get the wipes wet. We use regular tide for diapers because that's the only detergent we've found that works with our extremely hard water. For dirty diapers, we put them in a little plastic garbage can with a lid until wash day.

March 6th, 2013, 08:13 AM
sarahlorrain's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm using Alva diapers to start out with and I'll see how they work. They are diapers from China and are very cheap. I've heard of many people being happy with them. At first I was like "Ewww, diapers from China." and then I thought - "Oh, yeah, like 80% of everything I use or wear is from China. Duh. I have 5 so far; I'm selling some stuff on eBay this week to get more money to buy some more!
March 6th, 2013, 08:28 AM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
$200 is peanuts when it comes to diapers.... however, you can get away with cheaper options for sure. $200 would buy you what... 5 months of sposies? likely less? The $200 you spend on the other options will last you clear through the first year (depending on the size prefolds you buy) and past potty training.
*Anya* likes this.

March 6th, 2013, 08:56 AM
Purple_cat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We ended up switching to cloth diapers and wipes when my first daughter was 3 months old because she kept having blowouts in disposables and it was driving me crazy. We used pieces of flannel that were surged around the edges (so they wouldn't fray) for wipes and they worked really well. I will find you the recipe that we used for a spray because we loved it and it worked really well on our daughter's sensitive skin.

At the end my daughter out grew her cloth diapers (she's a big kid) so we ended up in disposables right before potty training and I was floored at how much money we were spending on those. Cloth diapers are more upfront but you save so much money in the long run. Especially if you use prefolds and covers (which we did because they were the easiest and worked well for us).

I am trying to find the recipe that we used and I can't find the source but I am pretty sure it was:

2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Tablespoons baby soap
2 cups warm water

Mix well and spray on to wipes for each diaper change.
March 6th, 2013, 09:24 AM
alyssabeth2685's Avatar Veteran
I used just prefolds with the plastic pants. Never really got into anything nice like all of the all-in-ones they have out now. But this time I have invested probably a couple hundred dollars in materials and have made my own. I have always had to use just washcloths for wipes because my babies would have a never ending diaper rash whenever I used wipes. And I always just used water.
I have made about 20 newborn size, 30 size 1, and 20 size 2 all-in-one type diapers with the velcro closure. I haven't attempted snaps yet just seems like a lot of work. Some with the removable stuffers/liners and some I sewed in. I am going to make a few covers since I have a lot of just prefolds. I bought one diaper on ebay or something and I just wasn't satisfied with the material they used. I have made mine out of 100%cotton flannel and terry cloth, both liner and inserts. The outside is the PUL fabric from Joann's. I didn't use fleece since I couldn't find anything other than polyester. I also bought some stretchy terry for baby towels and washcloths, and those came out really cute. I just bought a serger and am very excited to start using that new thing! I can do some more things that take me so much time with the normal machine.
I will try to post a pic. I never get it to load right on here.
March 6th, 2013, 12:02 PM
2XlinkedPHkids
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~AmazedByYou~ View Post
$200 is peanuts when it comes to diapers.... however, you can get away with cheaper options for sure. $200 would buy you what... 5 months of sposies? likely less? The $200 you spend on the other options will last you clear through the first year (depending on the size prefolds you buy) and past potty training.

I know it would save money in the long run, but the issue is simply coming up with 200.00 all at once for the start up. =/ We're gonna buy a few trial diapers and go from there.

If I'd had ANY clue he was interested in cloth diapering, I would have been saving up from the get-go. LOL. Instead he decides to spring it on me 6 weeks before the kid is due when we're in a Natural Parenting store. I was like O.o .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search