shingles at 34 weeks.......no answers and worried

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By nameetog

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I broke out in a small rash last Friday on my stomach (34 weeks). I haven't had pain or itching with it but I have seen 2 doctors who think it is shingles. I am waiting for lab tests to confirm. Anyway, I can't seem to get a straight answer as to how this may effect the baby. From what I have read online it doesn't seem like the baby is at risk as long as I don't go into labor while I am in the contagious stage. It is unclear how long it takes to get over this, but I have read between 2-4 weeks. I am worried I may not be over this when I deliver. My OB didn't seem concerned, but he also didn't seem to be well informed. I called the pediatrician today to see if they knew anything and they thought the OB should know. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this and how did everything turn out if you did?
March 6th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any experience with it during pregnancy, but I have had shingles before, and I just wanted to offer my sympathy! It's miserable even without the added worry of having it while you're pregnant. I hope you can get some more solid answers, and that they are answers that will ease your mind.
March 6th, 2013, 04:17 PM
JennBer's Avatar Super Mommy
I've had shingles, I don't think it took me that long to get over it though and I think you should be out of the contagious stage before the rash completely disappears. Sorry your having to go through that, I just can't even imagine how horrible it would be to have it while pregnant, it was bad enough having it without being pregnant.

March 6th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah i think your baby will be fine but if you were to have the baby, that would e dangerous
March 7th, 2013, 03:11 AM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
So sorry you are dealing with this during pregnancy!!! I think the antiviral drugs they use for shingles are safe during pregnancy and will make the outbreak pass more quickly. Have they given you a prescription? If not, I would ask about it. Hope you get some answers.
March 7th, 2013, 04:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had shingles when I was pregnant with my son. He is a perfectly healthy about to turn 6 year old. I did take antivirals so it went away quicker than if I hadn't but I def didn't have it for 2 weeks. It IS scary, my thoughts are with you. Shingles totally stinks as is never mind when pregnant. Hope you feel better fast!!
Sneetch likes this.

March 7th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Tamimomof5's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never had shingles before but my sister had them and she was really miserable and in pain with them. So sorry that you're dealing with this.....especially while pregnant.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search