Log In Sign Up

BTDT moms of two or more. How was your second labor?

Forum: 2013 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LisaS

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 22nd, 2013, 05:57 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cincinnati,OH
Posts: 1,300
So I want to hear some second labor stories. My first labor and delivery was really awful, recovery was awful and I still hurt from it,, breastfeeding was a nightmare. I am really scared of a repeat experience. My doctor tries to encourage me that first babies often pave the way, but Im more nervous this time then the first. How was yoour second births?
"That special power of loving that belongs to a woman is seen most clearly when she becomes a mother. Motherhood is the gift of God to women". - Mother Teresa.
Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 06:10 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,069
I have been threw 2 c-sections. My first was so fast since it was an emergency that it was easy. My second i was a nervous wreck and cried in the OR. I then threw up in recovery. I would say my second was a lot worst then my first. It makes me nervous about the 3rd time.

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 06:56 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,068
I second what you said Becca...Id like to know about second labors as well. DD took 24 hours of pitocin contractions which SUCK. Lol Im really hoping labor goes on its own for me this time.

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 07:32 AM
cheerfulsunrise's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 717
My second labor was awesome compared with the first. With the first I was induced and was in the hospital on pitocin for 14 hrs. I was very tired, spent an hour pushing, had an epidural, etc etc.
With my second labor, I had an appt where my midwife stripped my membranes, which I think put me into labor. I stayed at home as long as possible, and when I got to the hosp i was already 8 cm dilated! I pushed for 8 minutes and didn't have any drugs... The intense part of labor was only a few hours or less, and I was only at the hosp for 1.5 hrs until she was born. I also recovered a lot quicker from the second birth.
Getting breastfeeding going was equally as hard for both, actually I think the second was harder. I am afraid that will happen again, but hopefully not
DS: '98, DD: '00, DD: '13, & TTC #4

My Ovulation Chart
|| Ovulation Chart

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 07:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,551
So fast I barely had enough time for the antibiotics I needed because I was GBS+. First labor was 15 hours, with the doctor breaking my water and then putting me on Pitocin, followed by 3 hours of pushing. I had 3rd degree tears down there and had to sit on a donut for months afterwards. Second labor was 6 hours from water breaking to baby in arms. I didn't even have any contractions until about 2 hours after my water broke, and it seemed like the epidural sped up the process. I pushed 3x and my son was out and screaming at the world. Tiny tears, no donut or sitz baths needed.
KellBell2621 likes this.
Lisa, mom to Alie and Christian
Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 09:00 AM
Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St. Paul MN
Posts: 773
My second was a breeze compared to my first. With my first I was induced, had the epidural, pushed for an hour and a half and was very sore after delivery. My second I was always induced, but I had them turn off the epidural about 30 minutes before I started pushing so I could actually feel what I was doing this time and it must have done the trick, my 9lb3oz boy was out in 3 pushes and 5 minutes. I really think having an epidural can hinder you in the way of pushing, it's really hard to feel what you're doing and with which muscles you're pushing with.
Mommy to Isaac 8.1.07 Gabriel 7.2.09 and Samuel 6.15.13
Angel Babe 9-16-2012 5wks
Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 09:03 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 37,585
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I will post my 2nd and third birth stories. Just got to get the links.

Davids birth was very not traumatic but just not something that I knew I didnt want at the time. It was full of drugs and very not how I am now.

Katelynn's birth story 2 years after the fact

4:00am on November 1st I woke up to my bed soaked with warm fluid. I thought I had maybe peed myself so I got down to the bed smelled the sheets no urine smell. Went into the bathroom to change my clothes and more fluid began to flow out. I made some calls to tell my friend my water broke. She asked if I was sure because we thought several times with my son that my water broke. But this time there was no mistaking that my water was broken and I was in labor. So she called our other friend to let her know so she could come to watch all the kids. I told her that I was going to stay at home as long as possible before calling her to head to the hospital. I took a shower got on JM to update everyone did dishes took out the trash. At around 6:30 or so the contractions started getting closer together so I knew it was time to go to the hospital. I got my son up and got our stuff loaded into the car went over to Denise's (around the corner from my house) and we waited for our other friend to get there. At at 6:45 we were in the car on the way to the hospital. We got to the hospital and into the exam room at about 7:15 or so. At this point the contractions were extremely painful and I didnt want to be in the exam room because I knew I was in labor. They told me I was only 3cm (ugh I was already 3 the week before) but my water was broke and I was fully effaced.

They then were ready to transfer me to my labor and delivery room. They asked if I wanted to walk or ride in a wheelchair. I told them walk sitting was the last thing I wanted to do. So I walked to the room got into the bed for them to get my IV done. They took what seemed like forever to get my IV. The doctor came in to recheck me because he said it didnt sound like I was only 3cm. I wasnt I was anterior lip and the doctor told me we were about to have a baby. I really couldnt believe what I was hearing. I had not even been at the hospital for an hour. It took me from the time they told me I was a 3 to fully dilated was 15 minutes! They had nothing ready I wasnt even considered a patient yet. He told me to push on the next contraction. I didnt really even have to push my body did everything it self. Katelynn Mackenzie was born at 7:40am weighing 6lbs 7oz and 18 3/4 inches long. She was just beautiful! I did not tear and the placenta was delivered a few minutes later.! And everything after that was great. Kyle was able to come home early when she was just 2 days old my dad came up to help out until Kyle got home. Katelynn's birth was an amazing empowering experience. Although at the time I didnt think so. But I do fully believe that I will be able to do it again! Hopefully this time with more preparation!

*Two years later*
Giving birth to Katelynn naturally has changed my outlook on so many things. And has made me feel like such a powerful woman. It truly was a life changing experience not only did our family gain a beautiful daughter but I gained so much more. I truly believe that my career path in life once I am ready is to become a doula. Someone who helps woman have a voice in their birth choices and to support those choices. I really believe that Katelynn's birth stirred me to this path and I am looking forward to the adventure when the time comes. I would also love to be a lactation consultant because I would have loved to have one when I was struggling to breastfeed when I knew it was something I wanted to do. And who knows maybe one day I will become a midwife. But for right now my dream to to raise my beautiful children and hold them tight because time is passing to quickly. It seems like just yesterday we welcomed David into this world and he is now a 3 1/2 year old wonderful little boy. And whoosh there goes 2 more years which is where we are now about to celebrate our beautiful daughter's 2nd birthday. The fact that she is turning 2 really is mind boggling I just cant believe my beautiful little baby is a 2 year old beautiful little girl now. Time has passed so quickly but the life I have now I would not trade for anything I would not trade this precious time that I have been given to raise our children. Our life is amazing!

Happy 2nd Birthday (on November 1st) to our beautiful amazingly perfect daughter Katelynn Mackenzie! Mommy and Daddy love you more than you will ever know!

Everett's birth Story baby #3
Our interest in other birthing options sparked shortly after Katelynn was born. It dawned on us that, I didnt even know the name of the doctor who delievered her, nor did he know me. He walked in caught Katelynn walked out and I never saw him again. It was such an impersonal experience for something that is such a personal experience. The research began. If you would have asked me what I thought of home birth before I would have told you that I thought women who did that were crazy and how could that be even logical. As I began looking deeper what I found was the complete opposite and enjoyed learning about how other women birth.

In September of 2010, we thought we have a little surprise baby on the way. When it turned out to just be a funky cycle we were kinda bummed but were set out to keep our TTC date of Jan 2011. But also not really prevent pregnancy from happening either, if it happened in the months before our date we would still be thrilled but were not really doing anything TTC wise other than not using protection. On about December 15th 2010 we found out our sweet baby was on their way. So about a month before we had orgiinally planned. Not bad.

At this point it was time to figure out if we were going to have the baby at home or have the baby in the hospital. We met with a a certified nurse midwife and her partner to find out she was contracted with our military insurance, fantastic! I felt an instant connection to them and knew that I wanted them to help us bring this baby into the world.

The appointments in the months that followed were like having coffee with a friend. We talked about the pregnancy, how I was doing, how the kids were doing, and everything in between. After some chatting we did all the routine pregnancy stuff. I loved that it was done at the end of the appointment where I was relaxed and settled instead of in the very beginning where you can be flustered from walking into an office. As my due date quickly approached we felt so focused on knowing that our baby would be here soon and hopefully caught by his daddy.

As I passed my 36 week mark (the weeks that David and Katelynn were born) we thought for sure he would be here soon. When 37 weeks came and went we thought for sure he would be with us by 38 weeks that date also came and went. My body was tired and we were ready to welcome our baby. When I hit my due date still pregnant it was a shock we couldnt believe that it was here. We thought for sure we had some time left. I had a midwife appointment and while she was feeling his position it seemed that he may have flipped so she wanted to verify position. Which involves a pelvic exam which at 40 weeks I was okay with it. She said that was for sure his head and I was 3cm but my cervix still had some effacing to do. Okay cool a few more days or maybe a week or so. She asked if I wanted her to see if stripping slightly would put me into labor I said sure why not she was stirring things up anyways. She started for like 2 seconds and said I have to stop you water bag is buldging if I countine it will break in my hands. I was hopeful that labor maybe closer than I orginally thought.

I got home from my appointment at about 2:30pm. I then went to the bathroom and noticed I was spotting credited that to the membrane sweep. We did some laundry, played with the kids in the house, then at about 6:30 we decided to take the kids outside to play. At about 7:30 we all came in for dinner. I just didnt feel hungry as a matter of fact I felt exhausted and ready for bed. I forced myself to eat a little something and headed upstairs to take a shower. While I was in the shower I began to cramp like a really bad period. I really didnt think much of it since I had fasle labor for a few weeks now and plus she did the sweep earlier so I credited it to that. The cramps were very tolerable and I was for sure it was not happening today but I did tell Kyle what was going on just in case. The cramps spaced out a bit so I settled into bouncing on my birth ball to help bring the baby down if I was actually going to go into labor. When I sat down I got instantly uncomfortable. Looked at the clock it was about 9:15. I told Kyle to put the kids to bed that this was it. He laughed and said you say that every night. lol. We put a movie on for the kids, David gets all excited and asks if its time for baby brother. Kyle tells him it is time. And they start dancing around the house so excited for their baby brother!

The time is now 9:45pm and I can tell things are getting intense yet at the same time they were still these crampy contractions nothing like the contractions I had with David or Katelynn. They remained to last for about 30 seconds and 3-4 minutes apart. At 10pm Kyle decided it was time to call the midwives because I had told him, when I start saying I cant do this anymore it would be a good time to call. That this was real labor. He called Brooke, voicemail crap, called our 2nd midwife, Sunshine got an answer on the first ring Kyle told her it was time, she could hear me in the background and knew that the baby was close. We then called my mom to let her know to head down that Everett was on his way. Then called Denise to tell her it was time as well. Denise was the first to arrive since she lives around the corner, she knocked on the door and since I was so vocal Kyle made a joke that he thought it was the cops. I laughed because hey I was in between a contraction and it was funny. Sunshine walked in a few minutes behind Denise and at that point my body had already begun to push Everett out. Brooke walked in next, followed by their apprentice Katherine. My body was quickly pushing our baby boy into the world. Sunshine wanted to make sure I had no cervix left, as pushing with cervix left could cause swelling, there was a tiny bit left so we breathed through the next contraction to help melt away that last bit of cervix. At this point I am on the floor in front of our bed on chucks pads laying on Kyle for support. Sunshine could tell he was coming down fast so asked if it was okay if she moved the last bit of cervix, when she did that I had a huge contraction, and my water bag litterally exploded everywhere. It was something you see in those birth videos you watch in school. I will never forget everyone laughing and how funny it was. It was a pretty intense and weird feeling. Shortly after my water exploded all over Sunshine I felt the intense ring of fire of our babies head crowning. His head was out in one more push. I had to try not to push him out to rapidly so let my body do the work the easier they come into the world the less you tear. But the pressure was so intense out came his body. Kyle and I recieved our beautiful baby boy straight to my chest. Kyle was pretty emotional and could not believe that we just did that.

Sunshine waited for the placenta to start making its way out a few and it did a few minutes later. Once the placenta was out it was placed in a bowl next to Everett and I since it was still pulsating it was not going to be cut. As we were waiting for the cord to stop pulsating she checked me for tears that would need repairs as we all admired our new son. Who was wide eyed looking around. Instant love and worth every moment of pain to feel him come into the world. I had a small 2nd degree tear that Sunshine wanted to put some stitches in so we all moved me to the bed. Everett imediately began to try to crawl to the breast to inciate breastfeeding. While I nursed Everett I had my repairs done and my mom walked in shortly after they finished. Lidocaine, well we will just say ouch!

Shortly after they did my stitches the cord had fully stopped pulsating so Kyle cut the cord before we began the new born exam. Such a thing we have 3 children and this is the first cord Kyle was ever present to cut, he is in the navy deployed with our first and out to sea for sea trials with our 2nd. Brooke took over for the newborn exam. Everything was perfect he was nice and pink but with a little bit of weird coloring that everyone thought was a major bruise. Everything in the right spot. Then came time to weigh him everyone was taking bets, all were 8lbs at least. But we were all wrong when he came in at 7lbs 8oz. Measured his length 21 inches well that answers why we all thought he was over 8lbs he is long not that, that was a big surprise. We kept an eye on him through the transition into the outside world which is usually about 3 hours. He seemed to be doing fine other than the weird coloring, they decided to give him some O2 just in case he was having a bit of trouble but he was fiesty and seemed fine. Not having labored breathing. Eager to nurse and all things that little babies do. We decided we would watch him and we realized that because he had such a fast enterance into the world he didnt have all the time to have everything squeezed out of him. The midwives tucked us all into bed and there we were with our new son at home in our own bed ready to sleep and continue life. This morning his coloring is completely normal and he already has his own little pattern worked out. He is so alert and stayed up for over an hour just staring around today. The midwives called this morning to check on him and said Sunshine would be by later tonight to check on all us. Check my bleeding, make sure my uterus is shrinking down to normal size, and take Everett's vitals. All perfect. Brooke will be by on Wednesday to check on all of us again.

Everett's birth was seriously the best experience, I do not regret the decision we made to have him at home. It truly was an amazing experience that I would not want to trade for anything. I feel amazing and nothing is quite like giving birth!

Welcome to the world Everett Michael Cole! You are a true blessing and we can not wait to watch you grow!

Everett was given the middle name Michael, in memory of my wonderful Uncle Mike, who passed away a few months before Everett was born. I have such fond memories of him but the one that will always stick out is him doing the moon walk at our wedding.

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 09:23 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,612
With my first, I was in labor for 26 hours. I had a failed epidural. I pushed for an hour and a half and they ended up having to use the vacuum to help her out a bit. I had to have 6 stitches but recovering and BFing went surprisingly well.

With my second, I was in labor for about 8 hours total. I had another failed and miserable epidural. I pushed for about 5-10 minutes and only needed 3 stitches. Recovery was pretty easy, BF was easy but the cramps the first few days were AWFUL!

I'm hoping this labor will be even shorter but I have definitely learned my lesson on the epidural and I will be going without this time. I plan to stay at home as long as possible to avoid being cooped up in a hospital room as well.

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 09:46 AM
Mrs_lynn.c's Avatar Expecting#5
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Cincinnati,ohio
Posts: 1,085
My first labor was hell i went into the hospital on the 6 of augst got induced on the 8 and my son was born the morning of the 10. My second labor was about three hours and i only pushed once and she was out. I left the hospital the next morning.My third labor was about 6 hours total. lMy fourth labor lasted about 6 hours beforw i was rushed in for emergency c section cause my daughters heart stopped. Recovery from her birth was the worse ever i ended up hemoraging twice and needing blood trasfusions.It was awful. have a planed c section this time so i hope it goes better than the last one.
Thank you .:shortcake:. for my beautiful siggy!!!
Peggy & Jeff expecting our second TR miracle
Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 10:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northeast USA
Posts: 2,153
My first child was a normal labor. Started around 7 a.m. and delivered at 9:51 at night. I had an episitomy and tore. I was quite uncomfortable for over a week. My second was a breeze. I was really far dialated without true labor. They broke my water and he popped out in just a little time with 1-2 pushes for the arms. I was fine within hours. Just note that the uterine contactions are worse with the initial day or two of breastfeeding with the second child. Ask for Tylenol (regular is OK) a little prior to nursing your child.

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 11:14 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 26,352
My first: 8 hours total, which is pretty quick for a first. I had an epidural and 3 hours later was fully dilated. I pushed for over an hour, had a ridiculous amount of stitches. I sat on a donut pillow for a month. Breastfeeding went pretty bad.

My second: 90 minutes from first contraction to baby. After an hour (a total of 5 contractions in that time) my water broke and my body immediately started pushing on its own. I was trying not to push while we rushed to the nearest hospital (not the one I was supposed to deliver at). It was a 10 minute drive and 5 minutes before I was in a room. I took my pants off and pushed twice. No drugs, no tears, awesome recovery. Breastfeeding was a breeze even with a tongue-tie and reflux.

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 11:27 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,068
What great stories ladies!!

Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 12:11 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,472
My first was ok. Induction, 9hrs active labor, tore, 5 stitches. I was SO tired with her. My second was faster. Induction again but he came so fast my dh wasn't there. My third was the best. Induction again but I hardly pushe, no tearing, felt great after.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
Reply With Quote
March 22nd, 2013, 02:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Washington DC
Posts: 1,174
Alex was 2 weeks early, in labor for 12 1/2 hour but it wasn't awful labor and when it started to get awful (5 centimeters) I got an epi. Pushed like 5x.

Sebastian was never going to come out. I was overdue with him and he wouldnt even drop down, then he started having distressed heart rate, so I had an emergency cs

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0