Let's talk about stretch marks

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By ValyntineG
  • 1 Post By Keakie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2013, 02:43 PM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
A couple of days ago, I noticed a little pink/red mark on my side. It's a little above my hip bone on my right side, and it's slightly raised. It doesn't hurt or itch, but it's still there now. Dh says he thinks it may be the beginnings of a stretch mark, but we aren't sure.

Here's a picture we took today:

Thoughts? I feel like it's early for stretch marks, personally, but I'm a total newbie at this and for all I know am genetically prone. I was talking to my mom earlier and mentioned it, and she agreed that that could be what it is so maybe it isn't impossibly.

While we're on the subject, which creams or oils do you find work well to minimize stretch marks? I'm not really expecting any miracles and have read that a lot of those products don't actually help very much, but I'm not opposed to trying something and was wondering what y'all have tried. Even if this mark isn't a pre-stretch mark, I figure it's not a bad time to start thinking about it.

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!

Last edited by Keakie; March 23rd, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
March 23rd, 2013, 03:40 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After yanking up my shirt to examine my old stretch marks, I'd have to say that I guess it's possible, but can't really be sure.

Mine appeared with my first pregnancy during the last couple of weeks after going past my due date. They seemed to pop up in clusters, more and more each morning - I just wanted to cry. No amount of anything I put on my skin seemed to help.

Hopefully someone else has some good suggestions.
March 23rd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Regular
That doesn't look like a stretch mark to me. A stretch mark won't be slightly raised- if anything, it will be a slight indent. The also tend to be more vertical than that.

For me, itchy skin would herald a stretch mark, and if I scratched, there it would go (just like nylons getting a run)...so I tried really hard not to scrach my itchy belly. I didn't use any creams or anything.

Last edited by LadyMorgan; March 23rd, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
March 23rd, 2013, 04:59 PM
ValyntineG's Avatar Based on a True Story
If it's slightly raised, I wouldn't think stretch mark. But you never know, I guess. Mind didn't show up until towards the end.

There is no lotion on Earth that will prevent them, but there is a miracle lotion (I swear) that has made a HUGE difference for me. It has faded scars, stretch marks and totally got rid of my sun spots.

It's called Precipitation and its made by Origins. Seriously, greatest stuff in the world.
Alpha_allie1010 and yvee80 like this.

claire1979 is my siggy hero

www.etsy.com/shop/68cents
Go there. Buy stuff.

March 23rd, 2013, 05:57 PM
Alpha_allie1010's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine always came in almost purple....and didn't show till like 38+ weeks but it is possible to get then early. I have a friends who started at like 20 weeks

Thanks Kiliki for my AWESOME siggie!!!
March 23rd, 2013, 06:05 PM
babybatax2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got mine around 25 weeks with the twins. Still there.

Mine are silvery on my sides and thighs. They are your mommy stripes, be proud!

07/2007 03/2011 01/2012
March 23rd, 2013, 06:33 PM
Dolly Lama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Mine always came in almost purple
Yup, mine too. They started off super dark, then faded with time. They are all silvery in color for now...till the new batch comes in.
March 23rd, 2013, 08:32 PM
321abc
Stretch marks aren't really in my genes. I did get one at my belly button around 37 weeks but it was sort of transparent looking, I could oh see it in the light. The only other place I got them was 2 on each hip and that was after I delivered. Strange.
I used cocoa butter every night. And now I have been using coconut oil. If anything it keeps me from itching, it doesn't hurt to stay moisturized, it makes since to me that moist skin is less likely to tear. Be sure to do the same with your breasts when your milk comes in. I did get a few transparent ones on my breasts but they have faded away. I alternated between a big jar of weird branded cocoa butter and the palmers for stretch marks.

Also, I have a Hispanic friend who's mother swears by olive oil. I don't know if that's a cultural thing but she had 4 kids and says she never got a stretch mark.
March 24th, 2013, 11:25 AM
CARLACB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't get my stretch marks until after my first pregnancy. I think it's due to me loosing the weight so fast. I haven't noticed any new stretch marks with this one but if I get them, it more than likely will be afterwards as well. I have them on my hip and butt but those are covered by my pants.

Blended Family of 5 and 1 on the way.
Makhari 6
Maleaha 5
Coty, Jr 7
March 25th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have stretch marks on hips, butt cheeks, and boobs - never got any on my belly though. They will fade with time, but like the others said, mine came in dark purple in color (then they go red, then the silvery/shiney look). The best thing you can do is moisturize, but if you are genetically predispositioned there is nothing you can do to prevent them...

Josh and Kim - proud parents to Byron, Elijah, Abigail, Connor, Kara, and Baby
March 25th, 2013, 08:30 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
mine with Savannah didn't show up until last month, and then I swear I got a new one every day...mine didn't look like your picture, tended to be more line-ish and dark red or purple, eventually (I swear like a year later) faded to more of a silver color. Not really looking forward to a new batch with this one lol...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
March 25th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Keakie's Avatar Learning to walk in faith
I think y'all were right that it probably wasn't the beginning of one. It's still there but it is fading and not changing in size or shape.

I do have tons of coconut oil around, so maybe I'll just start with that for now. Worst case, my skin just gets extra soft and smells nice to boot.
kimberlyw likes this.

*Excitedly expecting baby girl number two!*

Thank you to Babydoll213 for my fabulous siggie!
March 25th, 2013, 08:36 AM
Super Mommy
I didnt get any on my stomach with the last three, but I use Stretch mark and moisturizing cream from itworks
https://simplyspatastic.myitworks.com/Shop/Product/437

March 25th, 2013, 12:15 PM
kelbert's Avatar a.k.a. Kelli
I hate stretch marks. It is definitely genetic and I got it. My mom has them, and I started getting some at a young age. Not a lot, but when I was younger had them on my hips and thighs.

Over the past few years I gained weight pretty quick while using fertility meds. Started getting some on my lower stomach. I was devastated, but there is nothing you can do. Now I have one right in the middle that just popped up.

My poor body has been through hell and it shows it. After baby I am going to look into what I can do to fade them. For now I have some coconut oil I will use.

I wish I could say there were from the pregnancy.. but they are from TRYING to get pregnant. Close enough!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy

My Art Page!
March 25th, 2013, 09:37 PM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
I've never had too much issue with stretch marks. Got them on the girls when my milk came in with the first one, though! They were dark purple and I was horrified when I saw them for the first time. They faded really quickly and honestly I can't even tell where they were anymore.
March 25th, 2013, 10:56 PM
TayAnd2Angels's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mine didn't show up with Taylee until days before I delivered. I hate them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search