Quick Rant

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kiam

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Regular
Ok I accidentally posted this in the belly pics topic and couldn't delete it. Sorry! I am obviously new.

A co-worker/friend of mine came by to say hi and as she was leaving, she jokingly said, "You look fat and you've gained weight. It's like you're pregnant or something." She started laughing and I jokingly laughed it off too, but SERIOUSLY, who says that to a pregnant lady? I know she's joking (kind of), but I couldn't help, but call her choice words after she left. Anyone had similar encounters with people?
March 25th, 2013, 12:30 PM
Kiam's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I get it often but it doesn't bother me because, well, I AM fatter. To me it is the same as saying "Your hair has grown" why yes, it has.

I can understand that for some weight is a sticky point, however, to view it from the other side, prior to us becoming such a weight obsessed culture, pointing out a pregnant woman's weight increase was a compliment, as a bigger belly was considered to mean a healthier baby.
LeslieRN72 likes this.
March 25th, 2013, 12:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm always really sensitive about people commenting on my body too. I know that its said as a joke but I don't like it. I really think you should only say positive things about someone's body. I would never tell a non pregnant woman she looked "big" or "like she's gained weight" so why would anyone think its ok to say those things to a pregnant woman! I struggle enough with all the changes in my figure without people pointing it out and making me feel worse. I totally get it. Sorry.

March 25th, 2013, 02:00 PM
Regular
Yeah totally. I know I am bigger than before (duh), but that doesn't mean I want people telling me I look fatter. haha. Oh well, I'm glad you can relate! :-)
March 25th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Totally get it. Pregnant does not equal fat. We are growing but we are not getting fat. The only person who has said anything like that to me is my fil and dh. I just shrug it off because I know it's just nonsense.
March 25th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiam View Post
I can understand that for some weight is a sticky point, however, to view it from the other side, prior to us becoming such a weight obsessed culture, pointing out a pregnant woman's weight increase was a compliment, as a bigger belly was considered to mean a healthier baby.
That made me feel about 100% better, since I am reaching the size of a small housing development.

My hubby informed me the other day that because of my age and since this is my third pregnancy, I will probably "never be skinny again" and "never lose all the baby weight."

He's usually sensitive, but somehow during this pregnancy it's like he's lost all sense. I wanted to hit him.

The good thing is that will motivate me to drop the baby weight just so I can prove him wrong.
March 25th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Twin Mama
That would bug me too, I'm sensitive about my weight. Gaining weight from pregnancy is so not the same as just letting yourself go. You are growing a human being who is causing massive changes to your body inside and out, one being weight gain. Focus on the positives like feeling baby and when you can see them on the outside, fat doesn't have feet and hands that do the alien baby dance across your belly! don't listen to the meanies.

March 25th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Easton's Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
One of DH's employees asked me how much bigger I thought I was going to get...

Thank you Vicki for my AMAZING siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search