Who Wants to Answer my Breast Pump Questions?

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Missa_Mae
  • 2 Post By ~AmazedByYou~
  • 1 Post By nameetog
  • 1 Post By ThaiSpice
  • 2 Post By Mel_Kay

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Missa_Mae's Avatar First Time Mommy!
I have a few and I feel silly because some of them may just be common sense but ...

I was told to follow the rule of 6
6 hours on the counter
6 days in the fridge
6 months in the freezer
BUT
...if it sits out for say 4 hours on the counter, can I transfer it to the fridge or does it go bad?
...if I take it out of the fridge & she doesn't take it, how long can I leave it out?
...can I put it back in the fridge?
...I'm pumping a decent supply now and it's all in the fridge but I'd like to start freezing it but have no idea how to do it ... I have breast milk storage bags for the freezer and I'm assuming I just pump, poor into the bag, date it and put it in the freezer?

alyssabeth2685 likes this.

March 26th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I never did the pump thing but I'm pretty sure you would treat it as if it were regular milk. Let's say you leave the jug of milk on the counter for an hour or so, it's safe to put it in the fridge and then keep in the fridge until the expiration date. Same w/ freezer. If something you had was about to expire in the fridge, you would transfer it to the freezer for later use so it doesn't go bad.
March 26th, 2013, 03:42 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
If it sits on the counter for four hours untouched (undrank) yes it can absolutely go in the fridge and will be good for 6 days.
if you take it out of the fridge and she doesn't take it you have 6 hours.
take small amounts because you shouldn't be warming and cooling over and over.
label the breastmilk bags FIRST. Then pour your milk from the bottles freshly pumped or from the fridge and the best way to freeze them is flat in the freezer but make sure they're closed tightly.
Missa_Mae and alyssabeth2685 like this.

March 26th, 2013, 03:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Kelly Mom has this to say...

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/

For freezing milk I used freezer storage bags dated and in the deep freeze. Anything I'd use in near future (like the week) Id put in my regular freezer
MommysPocket likes this.

March 26th, 2013, 03:46 PM
~AmazedByYou~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to ~AmazedByYou~
http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...e/milkstorage/

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/m...expressedmilk/

March 26th, 2013, 03:54 PM
ThaiSpice's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haha....I was also going to refer to kellymom.com. I highly recommend reading as much as you can on that site... so helpful. Bottom line is that it is "probably safe" to reuse the unfinished pirtion, but no studies have been done. The kellymom article about reusing breast milk has good info.

My advice would be to store the milk in smaller amounts (1 oz?), so that you're less likely to have this issue. As she gets older and eats more consistently, you can store it in larger amounts.
~AmazedByYou~ likes this.

March 26th, 2013, 04:12 PM
Mel_Kay's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Speaking of storing breast milk, I had pinned this a while back, it's an interesting and cheap way to store milk. It uses a gift bag, you cut the bottom in a certain way and lay the milk flat in the bags (oldest to newest, of course) and then pull from the bottom, kind of like a dispenser. I have not used this method but when I saw it I thought it seemed like a great idea.

Breast Milk Storage| GreenLiteBites
Kennydra and MommysPocket like this.

Mommy to 4 boys
March 26th, 2013, 04:33 PM
MommysPocket's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was coming to direct to kellymom.com also. Such a great resource!

March 26th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel_Kay View Post
Speaking of storing breast milk, I had pinned this a while back, it's an interesting and cheap way to store milk. It uses a gift bag, you cut the bottom in a certain way and lay the milk flat in the bags (oldest to newest, of course) and then pull from the bottom, kind of like a dispenser. I have not used this method but when I saw it I thought it seemed like a great idea.

Breast Milk Storage| GreenLiteBites
I did that for a while. But after being back at work for a few months, I went through all my freezer stash, and was basically pumping day to day.

March 27th, 2013, 06:48 AM
One more question before I pop onto Kellymom.com ... how do you thaw the freezer milk? In the fridge?

March 27th, 2013, 08:18 AM
alyssabeth2685's Avatar Veteran
I would either thaw in fridge if you have that much time or just run under warm water. Use a drinking glass and let it sit for a bit.

m]
March 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I thawed in the fridge or in a cup of room temp water

March 27th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameetog View Post
I thawed in the fridge or in a cup of room temp water

March 27th, 2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks ladies - you girls are great

March 27th, 2013, 11:25 AM
HalfDozen's Avatar Formerly Number5OnTheWay
Okay, I may not be the best resource because I don't follow the "guidelines" per se, but my girls never had any issues. As I pumped, I would just pour the pumped milk into a bag. I would refrigerate that bag and then add to it after the next pumping. I would usually put 6-8 ounces in each bag, and then freeze the bag. Like I said, I know this is not "correct", but it worked for me.

As for thawing, I usually thawed in the fridge or sometimes on the counter (again a no-no, I know). It depended on what time I remembered to take the milk out and how quickly I needed it. Occasionally, I thawed it by running cold water over it, but I seemed to have problems with the bags occasionally leaking into the water.

I should also note that the above freezing method I used was once I was back at work because I knew I would need that much for day care. I usually had a few bags that were just 2 ounces or so if we needed them in a pinch or in the early weeks when we were getting them accustomed to the bottle.

We never re-used milk once it had been heated up. That's why we usually started with smaller sizes and then would get more if we needed it instead of having to throw out the excess.

New picture in progress......

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search