Log In Sign Up

C section Mamas

Forum: 2013 Playroom


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 29th, 2013, 08:01 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,068
Seems like this time I am a bit more paranoid about the possibility of a C section since lil man is still transverse breech ...yep i know theres time still for him to flip and External version.
But those of you who have had C sections can you please describe your experience. The Epi, C-section, After Delivery, Healing? Did any of you have both a natural and a c section? How did they compare?
Gen88 likes this.

Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2013, 09:01 AM
momneedscoffee13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,631
Send a message via MSN to momneedscoffee13 Send a message via Yahoo to momneedscoffee13 Send a message via Skype™ to momneedscoffee13
Connor ended up in a c/section because he got stuck and I never really labored much (induced) or dilated. The epi and c/section were not as bad as I feared, however my recovery totally SUCKED. My incision would not close and heal all the way. I had to go back for multiple visits to the doc to have them clean and re-bandaged the incision. Mostly because it was so low that the waistbands on my pants were almost directly on it and kept interfering. I was in a lot of pain and couldn't get in and out of bed, so I slept on the recliner in the living room with Connor in the bassinet next to the chair for almost 2-3 weeks after. It was just not a good experience.

The "positives" of my hospital were that DH was able to accompany him to the nursery after delivery, and they brought him to me in the recovery room so I could breastfeed for the first time (it was a very Pro-BF'ing hospital). I had the nurses at the hospital to help me for the few days we were there and DH was home for paternity leave (he got 3 months then, now he only gets 2 weeks, it's gonna SUCK!!)

So the worst was the recovery afterwards, but not everyone has a bad recovery experience. The rest wasn't too terrible, but not something I wish to ever repeat - here's hoping for a VBAC!!!

Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2013, 09:56 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,134
Well, here is my experience--

My first was because of the premature twins. So that experience was terrifying, but mostly because I was worried for the babies.

With my second... it was a lot different and scheduled.

I did go into labor 12 hours before my scheduled c-section, lol. So I didn't walk back to the ER like I was planning. They wheeled me in my bed. They helped me get on the table while DH was getting dressed in his scrubs and hair net. I laid on my side while the anesthesiologist did the spinal. He was really good and although it did hurt going in, I was numb in just a couple minutes and the pain was completely gone, so that was nice. It did, however, give me the shakes pretty bad. (That mixed with nerves over meeting the baby was a bad shaking combo, lol). They put warm blankets over my arms to help the shaking and gave me something to stop the shaking after the baby was out of my tummy. DH came in before they started the surgery. The staff, at my hospital, were very friendly and tried to make it as positive as it could be... it is surgery after all. Just a few minutes later he was out! I heard him cry, but I couldn't see him and that was hard. They got him cleaned up, and brought him over so I could see him and kiss him. But then they took him away while I got stitched up. DH stayed with me during all that and it really helped. Then I went to recovery, Alex went with baby. After a little bit, they tucked Gabriel by me and wheeled us together back to the L & D room to meet my family. I was pretty groggy from the shakiness medicine, so that wasn't pleasant.

I didn't get out of bed or anything until the next day. They came in in the morning and made me get up and man, that first time sitting up.... it takes your breath. Just sooooo much pain. BUT, it does get better. So after being up a couple times, I was managing to go to the bathroom and walk around the hallways to the nursery and back. But, I have no problem taking the pain pills so that probably helped me. I didn't have many problems with the incision, but it did take a long time before I was myself again and it itched a lot.

So, I mean, it is not ideal. That is for sure. But it is all I have to go on. And honestly, I was just so happy to have my baby, the healing didn't seem too bad. But that is just me! I will hope that you don't have to have one, but just remember that it certainly isn't the end of the world if you have a c-section.... just mentally prepare yourself that you are going to have to take it REALLY easy after the birth and for several weeks while you heal. And I DEFINITELY stuck to the 6 weeks to have sex... OUCH. LOL
4hearts likes this.
JaxonJocelyn Gabriel Grayson and Scarlett

Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Floor-ree-dah
Posts: 3,388
All three of mine were natural births gone wrong.

1st was beech and we didn't know it until I'd labored at home for 11 hrs (long story of why that is). Anyways, we go to the ER bc there was meconium in my waters and they do a u/s and see the breech and say it's too late to turn her. They gave me a spinal and something to stop my contractions. They wheeled me into the OR and barely got DH in there in time to see them cutting DD1 out. Thy had to put a rod down her throat to make sure there wasn't meconium in her lungs. There wasn't. Overall it was very traumatizing for DH and I. Afterwards, while they stitched me up, DH went with her and the nurses to do the aftercare stuff. With spinals my teeth always chatter during the stitch-up. I was able to nurse though I had a very rough start for the 1st month only bc i was so new to it. The incision site was fine and I never had problems on that account.

My 2nd was a failed VBAC due to not progressing past 6cm after a day and a half of labor. Spinal again, teeth chattering again. No problems healing again. No problems nursing.

My 3rd was a failed VBA2C due to not progressing past 6cm after 12 hrs labor. I got the epi to see if that would help me dialte. It did not. They upped the epi before the c/s. I prefer the spinal over the epi bc the epi made me feel sensations in my chest and I felt pressure up there that made me scared that they would knock into my heart and kill me. I'd rather have chattery teeth. No problems nursing. No problems with recovery.

This one will be a definite c/s. I may go into labor and go in for the c/s or I may not and just get my scheduled c/s. It depends on what the baby wants. I'll be getting a spinal. My OB agrees that it's what's best.

A few tips if you end up with a c/s:

-Get them to double stitch your uterus. Try to remember that while they're stitching to request it. I think it's standard practice now but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

-If you want to hold your baby and nurse him while they're stitching you up then make sure to tell them PRIOR to the c/s prep to put the IV in the hand that you don't use so your main hand is free from wires.

-They will make you take all jewelry out. If you have cartilage piercings or similar, just leave it at home JIC bc they lost mine and my piercings started to close up before I ever found a suitable replacement and it was really hard training my piercings to accept the new earrings and I almost had to get them re pierced.

-After c/s make sure the bed you're sleeping in is the right height for getting in and out of easily without straining your belly, Too high is hard to climb into, too low is hard to get out of. I found out the last time that DD's bed is the best height so I've already made plans for that to be my recovery bed. Since I bedshare, I will have that set-up as my temporary nursery until I am completely healed.

-After c/s a technique I used for getting out of bed without using my stomach muscles to help was to put my knees in the air and grabbing under my knees and rolling forward to a seated position so I could turn and get off.

-You'll want plenty of pillows to sit upright for nursing but if you want to lay down to nurse the side-lying position worked best for me.

*I have a sidenote about the version. Heidi was breech and I ended up going to an acupuncturist to get her to turn and I also did the trick of laying on an ironing board upside down against the couch and putting speakers strategically on my belly to get her to turn. I'm not sure which helped but at my next appointment she was turned.

Here's a good site with many suggestions for flipping a breech baby:
Spinning Babies Home
Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2013, 12:04 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 4,451
I labored at home for 48 hours and only dilated to 4cm. I went to the hospital so they could break my water (risk of prolapsed cord kept my midwife from trying it at home) and see if that would help DD descend. I got an epi because I just needed some rest after two days of labor and no sleep. That sucked, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Then again, I was pretty out of it by that point. After 15 hours of labor in the hospital I'd only progressed to a 6 and completely stalled out. They noticed meconium in the fluid and her heartrate became really erratic so we finally caved and decided to go for a c-section.

The surgery really wasn't bad. I was just relieved for it to be over after being in labor for so long. They let both DH and my doula come into the OR so that DH could be with the baby while they weighed her and cleaned her up. Having my doula was hugely important because I got really sick from the increased epi. I started to freak out and couldn't breathe and she helped me keep it together. It didn't take long for them to stitch me up and they never took DD away; DH held her up to me right away and she went straight from the OR to my recovery room with me. She nursed as soon as we got into recovery. The rest of my hospital experience was actually kind of nice, except for the pain once the epi wore off. No pill could touch that pain for me, it was searing and terrible. The main reason I'm hoping so much for a VBAC this time is because of those first few days of not being able to move. My recovery was just terrible.

I don't want to scare you, because it's different for everyone and it wasn't anything I couldn't handle. But I REALLY don't want to go through that again. I couldn't nurse side-lying; I had to sit up. That meant having to have someone else wake up and bring me the baby when she woke in the night because I absolutely couldn't move on my own for over a week. There were times when I could NOT get DH to wake up so I was laying there helpless, listening to my baby crying for ten minutes while I screamed at DH to help me. That was an awful feeling. My incision too 17 weeks to close because of hanging skin. I wasn't getting it dry enough after a shower and it just wouldn't heal. I finally figured out that I had to lift the skin and use a hairdryer to get it dry enough.

A recliner will be really helpful. We'll rent one this time just in case...maybe that'll help me to be a little more independent. And really, the first week is the hardest. After that I was up and moving around, though sore. I'll take a terrible week if it means I get a healthy baby.

But seriously, this baby is still moving all over the place. Sometimes he's head up, sometimes not. Don't let that stress you out so early! My midwives won't even discuss turning a baby until 34 weeks because up until then, they can flip all over the place and it's not a big deal.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

Reply With Quote
March 29th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Near Washington DC
Posts: 1,174
The hardest part for me was getting the epidural. Sebastian was in distress and overdue.

I was not in labor...which is why the epi probably seemed much worse than when I got it with Alex. With Alex I was 5 centis dialated and in pain and it was more of a relief than anything. With Sebastian, I wasn't in pain, so I just got to focus on the needle going into my back....fun fun.

After that, it really was a piece of cake. My doctor was amazing. I love him. He was really sweet and looks over the curtain and says "Okay, so I just pinched you really hard and you didnt yell or anything, so I think we are good to go!" It made me laugh, and I really needed to laugh.

I didn't feel much, some pressure, thats about it. One thing that was weird for me, was that I couldn't feel myself breathing. I was breathing, my chest was going up and down and my oxygen levels were normal, but I couldn't FEEL it. So the doc incharge of the epi was super nice too, middle aged lady and she gave me the nostril oxygen tube things and I COULD feel the air coming through there and it made me calm.

They had the whole team there, and pulled Sebastian out and the nurses were all excited and horrayed when he yelled. Cleaned him up and told me about his birthmark (on his chest) and how handsome he was before they brought him too me. I hardly remember them stitching me up, but they did an amazing job.

I sent Jereme with my baby....our baby...lol....while they sent me to recovery for about 30 minutes. Once my mom was with the baby, Jereme came to me in recovery and told me all about the baby and how much hair he had and all this other stuff. Before I knew it, I was wheeled into my room and the baby was wheeled in shortly afterwards they had checked him out and put the security band on him and all that jazz.

My recovery cake. I had sex 6 days after I gave birth (don't judge). I bled a WHOLE LOT LESS than I did with Alex (who was vaginal) and I think this is because they are able to suck so much of that crap out of you while you are cut open.

I made it a point to get OUT of that bed as much as possible. I showered myself and walked the halls and generally moved around. You have to move if you want to recover.

That and I hate sleeping in hospitals. I wanted to go home and I knew they wouldn't let me unless I was proving strong enough to do so. So I made a point to force recovery.

I have a fairly high pain tolerance, and I wasn't crippled at all. Percocets got me through just fine. I kept my incision dry and let it breath. I didn't have stitches....at least not outside stitches. I think they used the dissolvable stitches on the inside and then the glue stitches on the outside. My scar is minimal, they will be reusing it this time.

I was moving around like normal about 2 weeks later. Probably will stay out of the gym for 4 weeks however.

Oh and I never got the shakes or chatters or anything.

Reply With Quote
March 31st, 2013, 06:06 AM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 435
Mine was a planned c. The only really bad part was it took three spinals to take. I felt a little nauseous when they laid me down. I didn't feel pain but felt them moving things around. So gross. Dh went with Easton while I got my 18 staples. I know it is weird but I asked for just a long vertical cut. Pulling babies out of tiny incisions freaks me out! I got up and walked around that day and took a shower the next. I got my staples out 10 days later and played in a softball tournament. I never used any medication after leaving the hospital.
Mom to Easton 9/13/2005
Due June 22. 2013

Reply With Quote
March 31st, 2013, 07:12 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ardmore, PA
Posts: 1,197
I have absolutely nothing bad to report about my C-section.

I was honestly terrified going into it - just like I am knowing that I will be doing it again because anyone who isn't worried about major surgery is crazy town in my opinion.

My biggest complaint was I wasn't scheduled for the first of the day. LOL I had to fast for so long and two emergency c's went before me and I was starving/thirsty/bitter you name it by the time they finally rolled me into the room at 1pm. It goes quick after that though JD was born at 1:07 and I was in recovery by 1:45ish. He never left my side until I told them it was okay for DH and him to go upstairs and get cleaned up. I was out of recovery and in my room by 2:30. I got a spinal - felt weirdly warm and comforting to me.

I also had no problem with recovery and nothing to compare it to so I do not know the difference between the vaginal versus C-section recovery. I do know that I had no problem using the bathroom, the first day is kind of a haze and I'm not sure if they made me get up that day or the next - I am thinking it was the next because I know they took my cath out in the morning and couldn't believe me when I said I had to use the bathroom cause of how much was in my bag already. LOL

I didn't take anything stronger than motrin when I got home and my biggest complaint about the staples were the itchiness as it healed and the tightness feeling when I had to reach for something. I felt like I was so close to pulling them out because they obviously had no give to them. I was so happy when they took them out.

Reply With Quote
April 1st, 2013, 08:54 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,743
Mine was a scheduled c-section (breech). I did not have a spinal or epi due to failing the bleeding timed test, which is very unusual and not a factor in your situation so I will skip ahead.

DH waited in recovery and was holding B within 5 min. of him being born. They checked B out in the OR and then quickly wisked him to recovery with Dh, where I joined a few minutes later. Another freak circumstance - Morphine doesn't work as a pain killer on me, so it took a couple of minutes to establish this fact and switch to painkillers. Once I was switched, B1 was nursing within 10-15 min. of his birth. He stayed with us in recovery and I held him as we were transferred to our room.

My overall recovery was fine. While in the hospital, I took the pain meds as scheduled. By the time I was discharged, I was on 800 mg. of ibprofen only. The day he was born, I had the aircast things on my legs and I hated it, but I am such a high risk for clots, didn't have a choice. The next morning, the nurses unhooked me and I took a shower and felt oh so much better. I was up and about my room off and on and I think that really helped. The absolute worst part was clear liquids until "passed gas or had a bowel movement" well I was full of constipating pain killers and I was already constipated from being pregnant, so I finally asked for a stool softner and that did the trick!

By 2 weeks PP, I was on periodic Ibprofen if I overdid it but for the most part, felt pretty good. By 4 weeks, I was walking and back to running on the edge of 5-6 weeks with no pain. Well, no C-section pain - I was 40 pounds heavier, my joints were all in weird places and I hadn't worked out in 10 months
MamaSkunk likes this.
Reply With Quote
April 1st, 2013, 09:09 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,068
Kat...I have a slow blood clotting time too and when i last had to take the bleeding time test I failed too. That was when i was a teen and had my tonsils out....so instead of being anout patient procedure I had a hospital stay. So Id love to hear why they didnt give you a spinal or epi cuz of that. Did they put you under anesthesia then?

So far alot of your stories have eased my mind except about the recovery and the part about having your babies away from you

Reply With Quote
April 1st, 2013, 11:27 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,472
I can't read these without me worrying more. I've been induced and had epi's or natural with all my other pregnancies. My first I had a long healing time because I ripped, had stitches and bronchitis so every time I coughed I felt like I was being ripped apart again. I ripped worse with one of my other kids but healing was fast and easy. I'm scared about healing with a c-section. I'm afraid of a spinal (long story), afraid I won't get to see the baby at all (she'll go straight to the NICU), and scared I'll feel everything. I've only been under general once and I woke up during it so I'm just terrified all around. I'm just hoping I can avoid magnesium this time because that will really make me shaky and unable to move.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
Reply With Quote
April 1st, 2013, 11:29 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,068
Hugs Rebecca

Reply With Quote
April 1st, 2013, 07:40 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,743
The hematologist isn't Sure why I failed the bleeding timed test. It is possible that it is a rare side effect of the heparin. We are going to do some further testing before next delivery to try to see if we can do things differently.

The reason they won't give an epi or spinal if you fail the BTT is because the risk of epidural hematoma are very high with very serious side effects. They gave me general and DH waited in recovery for me

As far as being away from baby - call your delivery hospital and find out what their standard practice is with c-sections and then ask if your wishes can be accommodated. There is no reason if both mom and baby are healthy that you would be away from baby post delivery. B1 was with DHor myself at all times. I had the added whammy of not having the morphine work and I was still holding/nursing B less than 30 min. Post delivery.
MamaSkunk likes this.
Reply With Quote
April 2nd, 2013, 06:47 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 3,068
That is good to know about the epi and spinal! And good advice Kat thanks! I feel much better now about the possibility of a c section if lil man refuses to move (he's already proving stubborn so I'm hoping he moves but not holding my breath)

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0