Rhogam shot

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2013, 07:19 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
It was so straightforward during my last pregnancy. The dr gave me a prescription, I got it from the pharmacy (although I did have to call around to find one that had it!), I brought it to my 28w appt and they stuck it in me.

This time, I don't know if its different doctor/hospital/state/what but I have to go to the hospital to get it And not just to quickly get a shot... I have to do a blood draw (right after I got my glucose blood draw yesterday), then there is a 1-2 hour waiting period, then I get the shot, then I have to wait at least 30 more minutes being monitored before I can leave. It looks like the blood draw and wait is to check to make sure I need the shot (ABO/Rh and Antibody screen), but they already checked that during my first blood draw of the pregnancy?!

So anyways, anyone else have to go through a process like that? I totally didn't see it coming until they gave me the paperwork at my appt yesterday and said I needed to do it sometime this week. Ya know, cuz I have half a day to waste just like that.

April 30th, 2013, 09:36 AM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
Wow, I haven't heard anything about my labs yet so I don't know how it works here. That seems like a lot though. I wonder why they need to check twice? I wouldn't imagine that kind of test gets a lot of false positives?

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
April 30th, 2013, 09:41 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow that's a lot just for a shot! no, i just got it at my 29 week appt. the nurse brought in the shot and warned me that it was cold and was going to burn. it sure did! i left 2 seconds after getting the shot in the bum and drove home.
April 30th, 2013, 09:49 AM
Blah well I'm still waiting at the hospital to have my blood drawn, after having an "appointment" for 12. I got here a bit early, but had to be registered in the system, got to the lab at 12:20 and still waiting.

April 30th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Super Mommy
From what my doctors admin told me, you have to have an antibody screening and then the shot within 7ish days. So I had my blood test last week, then had my shot yesterday. They gave it to me at the hospital, but it was just in and out, never mentioned anything about monitoring me.
April 30th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Super Mommy
In my province, the rhogam shot is a fairly lengthy process too and it has to be done at a hospital. Luckily, my midwifery clinic draws the blood in advance and sends it to the labs, but then you have to go to the hospital within 10 days of getting your blood drawn to receive the shot. However, I've been told that for many women that go to clinics that don't provide this service, they have to get their blood drawn at the hospital, wait like 2 hours, and then get the shot.
April 30th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by -erin- View Post
It was so straightforward during my last pregnancy. The dr gave me a prescription, I got it from the pharmacy (although I did have to call around to find one that had it!), I brought it to my 28w appt and they stuck it in me.
Ok, I have this shot and yes the antibody screening is done at the same time as your glucose test.
From my understanding, The blood draw before is for the glucose / fasting
then they will do the glucose challenge part for 1-2 hour wait AND then antibody screen.

The antibody screen just shows if the blood is developing antibodies and thats why theyll do it 3x in pg
and that shot for it will come within 7 days of the screening and it will be had regardless of the results

The 30 mins waiting time is pretty standard here, some people have passed out due to the glucose liquid alone, any injections in my country (aus) they always make patients wait post injection in case they keel over in the street from a reaction.

what you explained is 100% normal to me
April 30th, 2013, 05:39 PM
^ I didn't do it at the same time as my glucose screen. I actually did that yesterday at another lab. The doc said the hospital *could* do the glucose test, but for some reason insurance companies don't like it that way so I had to go to LapCorp for the glucose, and the hospital for the rhogam.

In my last pregnancy it was all done in my dr office, they had their own blood lab in house, so they could do the glucose screen. They never mentioned to me if they were checking anything related to the rhogam also, but since there was no real delay between the blood and the shot, I doubt it.

April 30th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by -erin- View Post
^ I didn't do it at the same time as my glucose screen. I actually did that yesterday at another lab. The doc said the hospital *could* do the glucose test, but for some reason insurance companies don't like it that way so I had to go to LapCorp for the glucose, and the hospital for the rhogam.

In my last pregnancy it was all done in my dr office, they had their own blood lab in house, so they could do the glucose screen. They never mentioned to me if they were checking anything related to the rhogam also, but since there was no real delay between the blood and the shot, I doubt it.
oh sorry, pg brain here
Ive not heard of a waiting time.
have you tested + for antibodies in the past?
April 30th, 2013, 08:37 PM
mommamuffin's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't even know what this shot is for. I don't think I had it with my daughter or this time?

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q796/DLLovell/SquishyDDC_zps630852e9.gif[/IMG] [IMG]

[FONT="Garamond"][COLOR="Green"]Christina (me), Steve (SO), Isabelle & Leonardo.
May 1st, 2013, 04:32 AM
tela's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamuffin View Post
I don't even know what this shot is for. I don't think I had it with my daughter or this time?
you only need it if you have Rh neg blood and your partner has Rh pos blood. Rh neg is rare, so only the minority of pregnancies require rhogam.
May 1st, 2013, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommamuffin View Post
its only if you have Rh negative blood and the father has Rh+. I looked up stats when I was pregnant last time and its not super common (but not rare either) to have negative blood - about 15%.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search