Insurance and Breast Pumps

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Veteran
Hey, just resurrecting this and wondering if anyone ordered from a DME?

I just placed an order through edgepark and the medela one they said it'll take 3-5 business days to process the order and up to 14 days to ship (because there's limited supply).

So for all the ladies that were planning on ordering, everyone should order asap!
August 26th, 2013, 06:36 PM
MamaLaurie's Avatar Veteran
I didn't know insurance companies covered this! I'll have to give mine a call and see if I can get one. None of my kids have ever taken a bottle, but there have been a few times when it would have been nice to have one for some relief. Like if they are sick and not nursing well. I've never had any luck at all with the hand pumps.
August 27th, 2013, 06:07 AM
manda622's Avatar First Time Mommy-To-Be
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspinky View Post
Hey, just resurrecting this and wondering if anyone ordered from a DME?

I just placed an order through edgepark and the medela one they said it'll take 3-5 business days to process the order and up to 14 days to ship (because there's limited supply).

So for all the ladies that were planning on ordering, everyone should order asap!
This makes me nervous! I need to order from a DME too, and there's only one nearish me that carries the Medela that my insurance is contracted with, but according to my insurance I have to wait til the baby is born to order it! Sigh, I'm going to call back and double check on that. :/

BFP: 1/31/2013
First OB Visit: 02/19/2013
Dating Ultrasound: 02/20/2013 Got to see the baby move! HB 170!
Level 2 Ultrasound: 4/24/2013 It's a boy! HB 148!

August 27th, 2013, 07:19 AM
OK, so I called again and apparently I COULD order now, so I did. But when I called the medical supplier I was told that out of the Medela's they carry my insurance would only cover the pump n style original not the advance. I went with it, but I'm a little bummed. Does anyone know how big a difference it will make, if any? I'll be working full time after week 12, so it's important to me that pumping be successful.

August 27th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda622 View Post
This makes me nervous! I need to order from a DME too, and there's only one nearish me that carries the Medela that my insurance is contracted with, but according to my insurance I have to wait til the baby is born to order it! Sigh, I'm going to call back and double check on that. :/
What kind of insurance do you have? I have BCBS Anthem PPO. I did some detective work AND this company (maybe near you?) Welcome To Cambridge Medical Supply (located in MA I believe) takes a lot of different types of insurance so you should definitely give them a call too! They have 5 choices of medela pumps. I'm going to call today to try to get a freestyle (a coworker of mine LOVED hers) or a pump in style.
August 27th, 2013, 07:41 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda622 View Post
OK, so I called again and apparently I COULD order now, so I did. But when I called the medical supplier I was told that out of the Medela's they carry my insurance would only cover the pump n style original not the advance. I went with it, but I'm a little bummed. Does anyone know how big a difference it will make, if any? I'll be working full time after week 12, so it's important to me that pumping be successful.
I'm totally clueless on pumps. What's the difference between the pump in style and advance? Do you know anything about the freestyle?
August 28th, 2013, 06:11 AM
The pump in style original that I'm getting through the insurance is basically only being made for DMEs now, apparently, it's not on the market any more because it was replaced by the advanced. From what I can tell the main difference is that the advanced has an automatic let down mode, and with the original you don't have that feature but can replicate it manually, I guess. I'm sort of clueless too. LOL.

The freestyle is supposed to be much lighter, which had me looking at it initially because I'll be lugging this to and from work every day, but from reviews it seems most people prefer the PIS (not sure what the difference really is though, but I think some people said the PIS has better suction) plus I found out my insurance wouldn't cover it, so I dropped that idea.

August 28th, 2013, 07:08 AM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
i should check, we're about to switch to cigna next month, and i think our medical supply coverage is 80-90% dependent on basic or premium (and my husband is cheap) but i will have to give them a call and see what kind of deal we can get. i didn't pump with emily at all, but you just never know.

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search