Speaking of Twilight... OT

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyctre

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2013, 03:38 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Has anyone seen The Host? I heard it was going to be a movie, and I just found out it was already on DVD. lol Going to watch it tonight, but it doesn't have good reviews at all. the Twilight series cracked me up so I am going to see how this goes. I couldn't find riffs of it yet which is how I'd rather watch it.

James Arwen est. April 2, 2005
Alice Marie - January 9, 2008
Winter Rose - February 14, 2012
Liliana Vale - September 25, 2013

Daniel Constantine - July 19, 2016
Save
June 28th, 2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I haven't seen the movie yet but I did read the book and actually liked it! I think it was in the theaters last fall?
June 28th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Was it? I don't even remember it coming to theatres. i do live in a small town, though, and sometimes movies stay for a grand total of a week.

Save
June 30th, 2013, 02:52 AM
Julie
So how was it? My SO and I want to check it out once FiOS lowers the price to rent it. I was also worried it's no good though.

June 30th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
It was a watered down Pod People story with disturbing love themes. It felt to me like a Disney Channel movie got a 15 million dollar budget. And they didn't spend any of the money on writers. Lot of familiar faces in it. I want to totally rip into it, but I'll give people a chance to see it first.

Save
July 1st, 2013, 04:15 AM
jamieshalon2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
I didn't even know it was a movie yet. I had heard that they were going to make it into one. My mom read the book and really liked it, but I haven't had a chance to.

Jamie age 37-Single mommy and loving life
Tristen James born 10-28-00
Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
Brayden Monroe born 8/2/07
Sophia Elizabeth born 10-4-2103
July 1st, 2013, 09:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh I didn't realize the movie was out either...I did read it and thought it was okay...will have to check netflix tonight.

July 2nd, 2013, 07:55 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to jamieshalon2 Send a message via Skype™ to jamieshalon2
Where did you get it Arwen? I just googled it and it said the DVD release isn't until July 9th. My mom read the book and liked it, so I thought she may want to see the movie now.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 2nd, 2013, 08:12 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
LOL I torrented it! We are horrible about getting free previews to movies, but we do buy and support everything we find awesome. The Host will not be on the shopping list when it does come out.

I have no clue how people get that DVD/BR early. Copies from China or Mexico? Maybe someone works at Walmart and steals it from the back?
jamieshalon2 likes this.

Save
July 2nd, 2013, 08:15 AM
LOL, oh ok. Gotcha. My dh used to do that too until comcast came down on him so hard. We haven't done it since. We do have a pretty extensive DVD collection that he bought after seeing the movies just like you guys do.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 2nd, 2013, 08:59 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
They got him for too much bandwidth or did they know he was playing pirate?

We just have so many DVD's. Oh, goodness. I paid $400 for a custom shelf to hold them! There are over 700 DVD's on it, and we have another 300 in folders. And those are the DVD's we want to keep. We had hundreds more that we would buy because they looked like good movies, and they'd end up being crap. We just gave them away. Friends would come over, and they'd leave with 30+ DVD's.

We normally don't even watch all of the movies we dislike that we pirate. The Host was a special exception. Had to stick it out. It was really bad.

****SPOILERS****

In short aliens have pretty much taken over the world, but they are preserving our heritage/culture. There's world peace, but we don't enjoy it because we never have control over our bodies. So are they good guys or bad guys? They force you to be a pod person, but then you live in love forever? The main character started out trying to kill herself to get away from them, and very quickly it went from suicide to: It's you and me, ET! Us against the world! Both sides of it.

Um... What??

And the romance parts got disturbing. The alien wanted to use her body for one person(rape IMO), and she wanted to use it for another, but she never had control of it, and she CRIED when the alien wanted to leave her. It's just so BAD!

And when they were forcefully putting that alien in her, the background music was majestic and filled with ******* HOPE. And some of the aliens get homicidal on people, but they can only be coaxed out of a body by someone exuding LOVE and KINDNESS.

Main alien is given an "empty" body of some poor human that somehow got lobotomized by the takeover process. She had no more brain of her own, and she couldn't live without an alien using her body for whatever the hell they pleased.

I'm not sure of the message the author was trying to send. Oh, and the girls in her books are so willing to hop into bed with guys, but it's the MEN that keep them "pure."

"I don't want to rush things, beautiful. We can wait. There's no hurry because I know I want to be with you forever." CRAP CRAP CRAP! Us women are just too stupid, and we need a man to keep us in line?

Wow, I kind of went on and on there. I really disliked the movie. lol I don't think I am ever going to allow my children to read her books. The relationships are unhealthy, the girls are sluts and constantly being beaten, the men are the only ones with brains, the love interests are either doing things like stalking the girls or trying to convince their aliens to lock their consciousnesses away so their bodies can be used without their permission. It's just disturbing.

Save
July 2nd, 2013, 09:39 AM
LOl, it does sound "interesting".
They said pirating when he got the letter from them. They said if they detected anymore of it that they would turn him over to the authorities. I think this happened last year.

Logan Boyce born 1-19-04
July 2nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read the book. It took me until about half way thru to get "into it" but once I did I thought the book was enjoyable. I plan to see the movie but I don't have very high hopes for it. It doesn't seem like what my brain imagined the story to be.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 2nd, 2013, 04:17 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Maybe the book is better. I know at least for Twilight, the piggyback rides were not as awkward in my head as they were on screen.

Save

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search