Hospital bill

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 10th, 2013, 06:43 PM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
I am so, so blessed to have amazing medical insurance through my employer, and it's a darn good thing because...

...my hospital bill came to just under $50,000!!!! I went in Monday morning for induction, had an emergency c-section Tuesday night, and left Friday morning. No NICU stay for Claire (thank goodness).

I can't even imagine having to pay that out-of-pocket. It would bankrupt us!

What were your hospital bills like?
rheaimedved likes this.
July 10th, 2013, 06:59 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine was a little over $22,000 and we went in Thursday at noon, had Caroline at 7AM on Friday and ran out the door ASAP Sunday morning.

My out of pocket was $715 so I'm thrilled with our insurance.
July 10th, 2013, 07:00 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Between the 9 days I was in the hospital for the pre-e and th second hospital stay for delivery it totaled about $22000, and that includes the perinatologist I saw twice while admitted the first time. I really thought it would be much more. I delivered at the hospital I work for though so all I had to pay was the $300 co-pay for each visit. So I was out $600 total for the hospital part. I was pretty excited when I realized that. That lengthy stay the first visit had me stressing out worried how much it would be.

July 10th, 2013, 07:11 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Jo's was 13,900. I was there for 48 hours total. I had a coupe "extras": pitocin, my placenta being sent to pathology, and a blood count twice to make sure I didn't need a transfusion. The rest was pretty basic stuff.

The doctor was an additional 3,000. They bill separately. And then we also had bills from my two emergency hospital visits the week before. One totaled about 500 and the other we haven't seen yet, but was an overnight, so I am anticipating at least 3,000.

We paid $600...$200 for each hospital admission. That is all. I can't imagine not having insurance these days. It's a sad state of affairs.
July 10th, 2013, 07:17 PM
Super Mommy
$250 co-pay and out the door. I never even saw a bill. Went in Saturday night for induction, delivered vaginally Sunday afternoon, went home Monday morning.

HOLLA insurance!
LabLover13 likes this.
July 10th, 2013, 07:23 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Sometimes the bills come months later. We're just starting to get ours. We have insurance, but it's 80/20 so we owe in the thousands...probably altogether close to $4,000...I haven't added them all up yet.
July 10th, 2013, 07:34 PM
Melissa.Anne's Avatar Veteran
This is one reason I'm thankful to be Canadian! There are no such things as hospital bills here...
July 10th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Super Mommy
Holy crap...that is a lot of money. I'm really lucky to be living in a country with awesome healthcare. Delivery costs here are actually treated differently than other medical issues, so the National Health Insurance doesn't really cover the delivery, BUT...they do give you "gift money" after you've had your baby. The amount they give to you depends on how much you make and how much the delivery costs. My entire delivery and hospital stay (6 days in the hospital, counting delivery day) came to somewhere around $3,800. We got $4,000 for the gift money...which means we actually got about $200 BACK from the government. It was an all natural birth, so I'm not sure what the costs would have been if I had had a C-section or an epidural or other things like that. I know that they give you extra money if your baby is born prematurely and needs special care, though. I think the reason they give the gift money is because Japan's population growth is dwindling, so they provide awesome incentives to have children here.

On top of all of that, I was given coupons for all of my prenatal appointments here after I became a resident. I didn't have residency at my first appointment, which involved a physical check, consultation, and ultrasound, and it came to about $50. I didn't have to pay for any of my appointments after that since I had the coupons, and I had an ultrasound at every appointment.

Kaeldra's appointments have all been pretty much free, too...I had to pay around $10 for her 1-month check-up, but if we go to the city hall, we can get that money back. The only medical things I've had to pay out-of-pocket here are for my Mastitis appointments and medication for that. The appointments have been about $16 and the medication is like $8.

This is a way different story than my appointments back home in the U.S. I think I ended up spending somewhere around $600-900 out of pocket (after insurance) for my prenatal care up to week 24 of my pregnancy. I had 3 ultrasounds in the U.S....the first was mostly covered by insurance and I think I paid around $50 for that, and the other two that weren't covered were $180 and then $350.

Here's an interesting article one of my friends posted on Facebook about delivery costs in America: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/he...anted=all&_r=0

July 10th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The hospital bill was $10,000 and I paid $3000 of that. The epidural was $3000 and I paid $1000. The charge master rates for those were $15000 and $5000-- so that's what you'd be stuck with if you didn't have an insurance company negotiating down. I was admitted on Friday afternoon and left around noon on Monday.
July 10th, 2013, 09:05 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't actually seen any bills, so I have no idea. I am curious to know how much it all came up to, but with having state insurance (Medicaid) I didn't pay a dime. So thankful for that. They even ended up paying for Kody's circumcision too!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
July 10th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Rhonda66's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bill was in the $13,000s for the hospital delivery, we paid a $350 co-pay, that was it, never saw anything from the Doctor visits.
July 10th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm also thankful we live in the uk where we don't have any doctor or hospital bills x

July 11th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine are usually around $5-6000 for delivery and stay. I don't use drugs, so that has helped keep the cost down, and all 10 have been vaginal, so we get off pretty cheaply. If we are blessed with more, I'm sure hoping I don't need a c/s, those are expensive!

July 11th, 2013, 02:09 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haven't seen a bill but we don't have to pay a dime. Our insurance is changing though so I don't think it will be this good next time around. I'm going to miss Kaiser!!

July 11th, 2013, 02:28 PM
pressedfairie's Avatar Super Mommy
Medical bills are such bogus!!

I don't have maternity coverage, so I opted to self pay at the hospital I was delivering at. I prepaid $3500 for a vaginal delivery - it was their OB package and included everything for a 2 night stay (except my OB who bills separately.)

The balance on my account after I had DD was $12,773. They deducted $9273 from the bill because of the "OB package." The fact is they ALWAYS bill the insurance companies WAY more than someone self paying. It's ridiculous.
rheaimedved likes this.

Thank you peimum for my awesome siggy!
July 11th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Veteran
We pre-paid $300 out of pocket but the bill was about $22,000 all together. I was admitted late Thursday night- got pitocin and epidural and discharged on sat morning.

July 11th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Brock's minion
I had a csection, three day stay and my bill was about 30K + the bills for the baby's stuff. Out of pocket is about a grand, we have amazing insurance soni can't believe that you ladies have paid so much less. At the end of the day since we don't pay for this company provided insurance so can't complain one bit.

Michelle
July 17th, 2013, 08:32 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a vaginal birth and one day hospital stay and my bill was $593, 620.40! I have no idea how it got so high. I wonder if someone misplaced a decimal. Tricare paid $127, 240, and my bill is $25. INSANE.

Nichole
July 17th, 2013, 08:37 AM
LabLover13's Avatar Veteran
Woah woah woah...what??? They're trying to charge over half a million dollars for a BIRTH?? That's got to be wrong. There's no way. They definitely must have put the decimal in the wrong place, or got your bill switched with someone else's.

Holy. Cow.
July 17th, 2013, 08:52 AM
MrsNHigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know! I'm shocked my insurance covered it without question. I just requested an itemized print-out because I need to know what the heck was up. And I'll file a claim or whatever I have to do to fix it because they shouldn't be scamming anyone. I'm already contemplating sending it into a local news channel.
LabLover13 likes this.

Nichole

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search