Need help with bottle feeding

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 8miraclez

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2013, 05:10 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
Hi ladies - I'm sort of at my wits' end and I'm hoping that someone has some suggestions that might help my situation. DD is EBF and doing great with nursing. My supply is great - I've got about 42 oz of BM frozen and can pump anywhere from 2-7 oz at a time depending on time of day and when I've last nursed her. A few weeks ago, with the blessing of a lactation consltant, we started trying to do one bottle feed a day. I go back to work on August 18 and I'll be doing 14 hour shifts so she NEEDS to be able to take a bottle while I'm at work.

Problem is, she WON'T take one. A few times we've managed to get her to drink a good amount, but most of the time she only takes a little bit (.5-1 oz) and then starts to freak out. She'll dribble half the milk out or pull away and scream. We've tried nine different types of bottles - NINE. And no luck. We've tried Dr. Brown, Como tomo, Playtex, Avent, Medela, Medela Calma, Nuk, Tommee Tippee, and Lansinoh. No luck. ALL low flow nipples. We heat the milk, we've tried different positions, and I've made a point of staying out of sight while DF feeds her so she doesn't try to reject the bottle for the "real thing". So far the Nuk is the only one we've had ANY luck with, but that's rare and lately even he Nuk has been rejected. I'm so stressed about going back to work and now I'm stressed that she can't take a bottle. Plus it means that I am ALWAYS the one to get up with her at night and I can't even get a break for one feeding.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very grateful that she apparently prefers boob over bottle and not the other way around, but she's going to need to start taking a bottle soon and I have NO idea what else to try.

Help? Please?

July 31st, 2013, 05:48 PM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
Have you checked out the new one by Medela? Calma® | Medela
I know it's a little pricey but I've read some great reviews. I have not personally tried it because I've had luck with Tommee tippee with my youngest daughter.

July 31st, 2013, 07:59 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
The only other thing I can think of is a syringe. Huge hugs Hun.

July 31st, 2013, 09:05 PM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would try offering a bottle more frequently and I would use the Nuk since you have had at least some luck with that one. Also, when someone else is giving the bottle, have that person have a shirt or something that smells like you draped over themselves while they give the bottle. I don't know if it would work, but it's probably worth a shot. (I would suggest the comotomo, but I see it's on your list of things you've tried. That is what is working for us with Lena. Anna did great with Tommee Tippee, but of course, Lena did not do well with that one.)
August 1st, 2013, 08:42 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had this problem with my first son. We eventually did the breast nurser. I am not readily finding it online - but it looks like a silicon breast implant. We were able to squirt it in. Also, I would try more often per day. I also tried taking the baby to a public place so there is another distraction.

August 1st, 2013, 12:36 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
This is going to sound mean, but if she gets hungry enough, she'll eventually take something. My last dd was ebf and the only bottle she'd take was the breastflow by the first years. I know everyone says to have someone else give the bottle but I had more luck at first if I nursed a little bit, then gave a bottle. When I had to leave her with my mom, she wouldn't take the bottle at first but she just kept working with her until she took it. After that first day, we were able to switch back and fotth without a ptoblem. I hope something works for you.
zkat likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
August 1st, 2013, 03:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
One other thing that worked for us (and the lactation consultant would say no - but it worked so I did it). My second son would only take a bottle with 50% formula and 50% bm. Although he loved to nurse, there was no way he would take a bottle of 100% bm. Put more than 50% in there and he rejected it. (I used formula as he originally rejected the bottle and I was running out of pumped milk while trying. I took him to a busy grocery store with lots of lights. While he was watching the lights, I put a bottle of formula in his mouth. Had to do this every day for like a week. It worked though. I then got to the 50/50 of formula bm and he took the bottle anywhere). He loved nursing as well.

August 1st, 2013, 05:28 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use Breastflow by first years. Someone else mentioned this brand as well and it's not on your list of the ones you've tried. Other than that, I have no real advice since Anna had to be bottle fed starting on the day after coming home from the hospital. Good luck. She'll get the hang of it.

August 2nd, 2013, 02:40 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first was like this. She just has to learn that she HAD to take one. Also I couldn't be in the same BUILDING at first, she would know. Be prepared for her to eat way less when you are away from her. My dd would barely eat while I was gone and then marathon nurse when I got out of work and all night, so she was still getting enough.

August 2nd, 2013, 08:55 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DS#2 was like this. We had the best success with the breastflow at first, then eventually settled with the playtex. But really, it was just hunger that won him over. The first week he was at daycare, he took MAYBE 2 oz the whole day. By the second week, he would take 1 oz a couple of times. The teachers and I were both crying for him, he was so hungry. And of course, he nursed all night to make up for it. But then he got the hang of it. He was also super picky about pacifiers.

It's tough, but hang in there!

August 2nd, 2013, 08:57 AM
juleeannk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to juleeannk
I would suggest trying a Haberman Feeder and then transition from that to a regular bottle. You can also get an SNS feeder and have someone finger feed baby as well. The
August 2nd, 2013, 03:16 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Who is giving the bottle? Many babies will not take a bottle from Mom at first. You might not even be able to be in the viscinity.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search