Baby showers when you already have kids...

Forum: 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 8th, 2013, 04:02 PM
JulieMc's Avatar Loving my babies. :)
I was watching my sisters 4 kids today...along with my own two....6 under 5..holy cow! haha. Anyways...when she returned she asked me if I was going to have a baby shower or a diaper shower. I told her no, and if you have a second one someone else still has to throw it for you. So she said she'd host one for me. I'm unsure how I feel about it. It would be nice to get some clothes and stuff since we got rid of a lot of stuff between the 2 moves (1 when my son turned 1 and 1 just recently), but I really don't want to come off as pathetic. I always grew up with the thinking that baby showers were for first babies only. But my sister said its different if you're having twins. What are you thoughts?

Anyone here having a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th..) baby shower? What's standard for your family or circle of friends? How would you feel being invited to a second shower? Would it matter to you that it was twins, or not?

August 8th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Brittanie's Avatar just me
I haven't ever thrown *myself* a shower. I grew up that things like that (birthday parties, showers, etc) were things others did for you, instead of you doing for yourself. But when it came to baby showers, it didn't matter which baby it was, if someone wanted to throw you a shower for baby #12, then that's fine.

Although, in my experience it's more expected for the first and then the first of the opposite gender.

The ladies at my church threw me a shower for Allison, and we just did a diaper shower since I already had had a girl and had all the big things and a pretty good wardrobe besides. It was more of a reason to get to know me than anything.

How's that for a convoluted answer?

August 8th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My mom was going to throw me a Sprinkle since its my second (party with no gifts) but my MIL is doing one. It will be nice since there's 5 years between this one and DD and this one is a boy. I would never throw myself one if it was my first or any other after that.
August 8th, 2013, 05:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had a shower for my first and my cousin threw one for my fourth. Everyone thought it was a good idea. It was a total surprise for me
August 8th, 2013, 05:20 PM
monkeymama2's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never been to a second one, and I'm not sure I know anyone personally who has had one. I think I wouldn't do it. I feel like its up to me to maintain my supply after the first if I choose to have more kids. I did give pretty much all my boy clothes away so I have none before size 2T. So I'm hitting consignment sales and got a bag from a friend of hand me downs. I'll do it as cheaply ask can. Plus people always give gifts for new babies so ill just hint: clothes and wine please.
August 8th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I love baby showers so I would go to any I was invited to

I know people who have had showers for their 2nd, 3rd and 5th. If someone wants to throw it let them! If you feel uncomfortable why not throw it as a party where the moms brings the one thing they couldn't live without when they had their kids or something similar?

I plan to have one myself and I am throwing it myself....lol however I do have a theme people are decorating letters for his room and gifts are optional.

August 8th, 2013, 06:08 PM
redbirds's Avatar Blessed Again!
I've never had a second, but I belong to a mom's group and they are ALWAYS looking for a reason to get together and gab, and they threw a little "sprinkle", too... diapers/gift cards and lots of food and fun. I felt awkward at first, but it was fun and they love doing it. Who couldn't use diapers and gift cards? There were only about 6 of us there, so not a huge deal... I never would have suggested or organized it myself.

I'd say go for it, especially if they are really eager to celebrate these twins! Don't think of it as getting gifts for YOU, but as celebrating the rarity and miracle of twins, as 2 and as each separately. It should be fun

Hat's off to Vicki for my cute siggy, thank you!
August 8th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Expecting our 1st and 2nd
I've been to two showers for second babies. I think it was partly because they were young and the babies were with different fathers. But I don't see anything wrong with having showers for multiple babies, especially where you're having twins. Everyone loves to celebrate a new baby, and those who don't approve don't have to attend. If someone else wants to throw you a shower, I say let them.
August 8th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I say if she wants to host one for you ,then go for it. I had one for both of my kids. MIL host it. I believe she is throwing one for me this time too. Most of dh family doesn't celebrate holidays or birthdays, so they enjoy throwing baby showers and such. Also there is a 6 yr age gap between this one and my last. Starting all over again. I have never expected a shower and was always prepared to buy what we want/need, but it is nice to have your LO celebrated.
August 8th, 2013, 08:45 PM
BoyerMom's Avatar Super Mommy
I would definitely like a shower for my 2nd. My son is 5 now and we have passed along some of his old stuff. A lot of my family didn't come to the first one, so I am hoping this time they can. I am thinking maybe early November to avoid all the holiday craziness.

August 9th, 2013, 12:13 AM
This will be my 3rd baby and my mom has mentioned throwing me a shower. And also our church has already ask me to make a list of things I need/want. And they are having a shower for me in October. I didn't ask or make mention that I wanted one. when pregnant with my other 2 kids I had a shower from my side of the family and Dh family/church. I guess in the south we just like to celebrate. Its very common where I live to have more than one shower. So I never felt weird about it.
I say jump right in and let her host your shower. It will be fun. And its a celebration of your babies
August 9th, 2013, 04:57 AM
swade66's Avatar My friends call me HIRB.
I think every baby should be celebrated.

I had a shower with my first and my sister insisted on throwing mr one with my second. I don't think I will have one this time but we plan to have a "meet the baby" party after the baby is born. I imagine (but don't expect) people will bring the baby gifts.

***Don't expect me to lie to you just because you won't like the truth.***
August 9th, 2013, 06:27 AM
Veteran
I wont be having a baby shower with this baby as he is my 3rd ... I am thinking of doing a meet n greet when he arrives though just so others have a chance to meet our little guy.

now I did have a 2nd bbay shower only because it was thrown by my mil because it was her first grandchild ( my oldest is from my previous relationship that turned bad) anywho, I don't see a problem with it ..

August 9th, 2013, 09:23 AM
feythful's Avatar Proud Dec '13 DDC Co-host
I've never been to a second one for anyone, but I would totally go for a friend. As long as it wasn't someone who just invited me to things where I have to buy gifts (I have a couple of people in my life like that). I feel like if people are wanting to throw one, then go with it. What's the worst that could happen? People who don't want to go, won't. Besides, you can always let people know that gifts aren't expected and if they want to bring something or ask where you're registered, fabulous! I think a lot of people just like to get excited about babies and showers are the best place to enjoy all the things about babies (like the little clothes and toys) without having to deal with the negatives like dirty diapers and lack of sleep.

I've never had a second shower and I don't expect to have one for this one either. That's mostly because I feel like it was my decision to have 3 babies in 3 years and I don't think anyone else should feel obligated to buy gifts for me based on my decisions, but that's just a result of my particular situation.

August 9th, 2013, 12:57 PM
blakesgirl09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I'll be having one, my MIL and her sisters will be hosting and this is my second baby. This, however, will be DH's first as well as my MIL's first grandbaby. My DD will be 7 1 month after this baby is born and he will obviously be the opposite sex. I still feel guilty. I was taught, that you only had 1 bridal shower no matter how many marriages, as well as one baby shower no matter how many babies. I do feel that each baby should be celebrated in their own right and just because my daughter was born first, my son shouldn't have one? That's not fair. If you have someone that's willing to throw you a shower, no matter what baby, I say go for it!!

August 9th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Super Mommy
By all means go for it! Every baby deserves to be celebrated! I've had showers with all my kids except for one....not sure about this one. I've never thrown my own either.

Mommy to five wonderfully crazy kids
DD10, DS8, DS7, DS5 and DD 18m
Expecting Baby #6 EDD 12/3/13
August 9th, 2013, 01:09 PM
DavidandJaidonsmomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree every baby should be celebrated...there are many different types of showers.

Bree - Mom to David - 10 & Jaidon - 8
Baby#3:
Beta 4/25 @ 16dpo 622 4/29 @ 20dpo 2013
10wk hb 172

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search